August 2012 Roll Call!!

kebrown

First official post!

Going August 5-10 with my husband's family. He's undergoing chemotherapy right now for Hodgkin's lymphoma and should be done with treatments soon. So this will definitely be a great way to celebrate when he is cured!!

Any tips for an early August trip? We went last year for our honeymoon in during Christmas and it was very crowded and freezing. The past times I've been during early June when I was younger, so don't remember much about Disney summers.

Upvote 0

dixiegirl

First official post!

Going August 5-10 with my husband's family. He's undergoing chemotherapy right now for Hodgkin's lymphoma and should be done with treatments soon. So this will definitely be a great way to celebrate when he is cured!!

Any tips for an early August trip? We went last year for our honeymoon in during Christmas and it was very crowded and freezing. The past times I've been during early June when I was younger, so don't remember much about Disney summers.

Wow what a great place to celebrate than Disney!! August is Very Hot, but the crowds are manageable( we love it)..Either start early in the day or take advantage of the days the parks have Extra Magic hours and take breaks..Go to the park a little then back to the resort to rest up and maybe go back again at nite...And the hottest park seems to be Animal kingdom because its so open! I know there are quite a few August lovers around here that can help with any tips!!
Oh and welcome to the Boards!!

Upvote 0

timeman

I'm going from August 20th - 27th. I will be hitting the parks in the evenings from the 23rd -26th mainly because the reason I am going is not to visit the parks on those days, but to go to Star Wars Celebration 6. There will be a lot of Star Wars Nerf Herders in Orlando that week because of this.

Upvote 0

battgyrl

We plan to take our boys (7 and 9) to the World for the first time in mid-August. Just waiting for a PIN to officially book! We are hoping to stay at Beach Club though I'm secretly hoping for Contemporary. :)

Upvote 0

bmarkelon

Just booked for Aug. 15th-27th staying at CSR. Can't believe it's almost time to make dining reservations already!!
Wow, you have a nice long trip booked, way to go in August. Ours is the 19-27, I am counting down to February 16 to start booking our dining, yay!

First time going in August. We'll be there the 17th-24th...besides the heat, we're not quite sure what to expect. Does it normally rain everyday? Crazy Crowds?
the crowds should be pretty low since you picked later August dates. It's crazy but it really does rain just about every afternoon. Just take it easy, don't try to overdue it the heat will kick your butt. Lots of water while you are in the parks, spray fans are your friend and definitely pool time every afternoon.

Upvote 0

bmarkelon

First official post!

Definitely the best way to celebrate! Welcome to the boards and happy planning! :wave:

Upvote 0

mommyrosa2

Wow, you have a nice long trip booked, way to go in August. Ours is the 19-27, I am counting down to February 16 to start booking our dining, yay!

the crowds should be pretty low since you picked later August dates. It's crazy but it really does rain just about every afternoon. Just take it easy, don't try to overdue it the heat will kick your butt. Lots of water while you are in the parks, spray fans are your friend and definitely pool time every afternoon.

Thanks for the info. We are definitely planning to head out early and plan to be back at the resort by lunchtime to hang out by the pool and relax. We'll then head back out in the evening & take advantage of any PM EMH's. I was definitely making myself nuts over booking an August vacation but who knows, maybe we'll just like it :)

Upvote 0

accord99cutie

Premium Member
I'm actually getting pretty excited about being at the World in August! I was originally worried about the heat, and some crowds the first half, but I am actually excited for some heat and crowds! I can't wait to enjoy the pool in the afternoons, you know, be able to get out without freezing! And I want to try some touring plans!! We have not had the need for them since discovering the site, so I am truthfully excited to see how much help they can be! Not to mention no need for layering, it will be hot first thing so we wont have to worry about wearing a sweat shirt around our waist, or having our bag filled with them! Only 193 days to go!!!!!

Upvote 0

bmarkelon

So, we booked our airfare yesterday and due to rates and times we ended up adding a day to our trip, it saved us almost 500 bucks and we had the points anyway for the resort. So we will be there the 18-27 now. :sohappy:

Upvote 0

bmarkelon

Thanks for the info. We are definitely planning to head out early and plan to be back at the resort by lunchtime to hang out by the pool and relax. We'll then head back out in the evening & take advantage of any PM EMH's. I was definitely making myself nuts over booking an August vacation but who knows, maybe we'll just like it :)

That's the way to go! Last August was our first one and I was so worried that the heat would effect the enjoyment of our vacation but no way, the magic was just as strong! You can really step into air conditioning any time you need to too. Where are you guys staying?

Upvote 0

dixiegirl

So, we booked our airfare yesterday and due to rates and times we ended up adding a day to our trip, it saved us almost 500 bucks and we had the points anyway for the resort. So we will be there the 18-27 now. :sohappy:

Don't you just love that!! Oh dam guess I'll add an extra day!!! God I can't wait, but we do have quite a ways to go and I really don't want to rush spring and summer!! Not much for winter but here in the Northeast we really can't complain! I'd still give anything for my hot , and humid(cause I'm always cold) August in WDW!!! Hay there Aircondition everywhere!

Upvote 0

bmarkelon

Don't you just love that!! Oh dam guess I'll add an extra day!!! God I can't wait, but we do have quite a ways to go and I really don't want to rush spring and summer!! Not much for winter but here in the Northeast we really can't complain! I'd still give anything for my hot , and humid(cause I'm always cold) August in WDW!!! Hay there Aircondition everywhere!
I hear you! It's a tough summer for me to wish away. My little monkey on the way to preschool just says, "mommy, do I go to Kindergarten after Disney?".
"yes, Liam, you get to get on the bus with your big sister after our Disney trip....but that's still pretty far away buddy." Fighting back tears, you'd think this idea would be easier now that the older one is in first grade!

Upvote 0

dixiegirl

I hear you! It's a tough summer for me to wish away. My little monkey on the way to preschool just says, "mommy, do I go to Kindergarten after Disney?".
"yes, Liam, you get to get on the bus with your big sister after our Disney trip....but that's still pretty far away buddy." Fighting back tears, you'd think this idea would be easier now that the older one is in first grade!

Oh I understand that, went through that with my youngest!! Talk about me balling my eyes out, I think because she was my youngest and last child I reacted that way(really don't remember doing that with her sister, probably cuz I still had a baby at home), you kinda feel like your heart is gonna rip out of your chest!! I held up well until I got home from the bus stop and just cried my eyes out! KIDS!! I do miss when my oldest use to say my oldest "so are you picking me up from school on the way to the airport?" I miss the days when we could do that, now she is in middle school and not worth all the homework she'd have to make up..So now its August! It does get easier!!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom