Attraction name changes over the years...

TurboCaroline

Is it 5:00 yet?
Original Poster
I was looking at an old pictorial souvenir book from 1983 and I noticed some of the attractions went by a different name..here's a few I noticed

Tropical Serenade-->Enchanted Tiki Birds-->Enchanted Tiki Birds Under New Management

Snow White's Adventures--> Snow White's Scary Adventures

Star Jets-->Astro Orbiter

Grand Prix Raceway-->Tomorrowland Indy Speedway

WEDway People Mover-->Tomorrowland Transit Authority

Did I get them all??:)

Number_6

In most instances, the name is changed due to an upgrade that makes it a different experience. Star Jets used to look alot different than it looks now as Astro Orbiter, for example. Same basic idea, but much different looking.

Other instances would be the stretch of "If You Had Wings" becoming "If You Could Fly" when Eastern Airlines had to drop sponsorship. Then being renovated into "Delta Dreamflight" when Delta picked up sponsorship. Now it's "Buzz Lightyear's Spaceranger Spin" even thought the track layout and ride vehicles are the same(thought there are some obvious alterations that were made to the ride vehicles, they are the same basic design.)

fngoofy

There is also:
EPCOT > Epcot

Communicore > Innoventions (Epcot)

Universe of Energy > Ellen's Universe of Energy (Epcot)

Mickey's Birthdayland > Mickey's Toontown > Mickey's Toontown Fair (MK)

King Steffon's Banquet Hall > Cinderella's Royal Table (MK)

Disney / MGM Studios > Disney Studios (MK)

Lancelot Pizza > Luminare's (sp) (MK)

Countdown to Extinction > Dinosaur (AK)

Dixie Landings > Port Orleans Riverside (Resort)

Top of the World > California Grill (Contemporary)

Lake BuenaVista Shops > Downtown Disney (Entertainment)

Castaway Cay > Castaway Key (Cruiseline)

Water Sprites > Water Mouse > ? (Watercraft)

There are more, but I can't think of them them at the moment.

fngoofy

dolbyman said:
isn't that The Encahnted Tiki Room ? :veryconfu
Yes, you are right, but I don't think the one in WDW was ever the Enchanted Tiki Room, it when from Tropical Serenade to Tiki Room Under New Management.

the Enchanted Tiki Room is at Disneyland, the one that opened in WDW was oringinaly called Tropical Senade. Same show, just a different name, so this one actualy can span parks:
Tiki Room (dl) > Tropical Serenade (wdw) > Tiki Room Under New Management (wdw)

Others that I can think of that do this are:
Autopia (dl) > Indy Speedway (wdw) > Tomorrowland Speedway (wdw)
Haunted Mansion (dl,wdw) > Phantom Manor (dlp)

dolbyman

Yes, you are right, but I don't think the one in WDW was ever the Enchanted Tiki Room, it when from Tropical Serenade to Tiki Room Under New Management.

I could swear that in 1992 the attraction was called Tiki Room ... "new management" is only a few years old

fngoofy

You may be right, those were the dark years for me, no Internet back then and no cash to go. From like 87 to 95 I was denied WDW. I've made up for it since then, but I am sure I missed some versions of things completely.

dixiegirl

ahhh..i do miss port orleans riverside being called dixie landings...although it'll always be dixie to me....

anyway....with these old and new name do we have pics?? like a side by side comparison??that would be cool....
oh yes 13 more days to go........

peter11435

As pointed out most name changes involved some other changes as well. Certain changes between dreamflight-takeflight, and Dixie Landings-Port Orleans are the most obvious as being simply a name change.

Also to fngoof Castaway Cay is still called Castaway Cay.

Empress Room

fngoofy said:
There is also:

Castaway Cay > Castaway Key (Cruiseline)

According to Disney's official website, the private island visited by both the Magic and the Wonder is still (and has always been) called "Castaway Cay" and not "Castaway Key."

Having returned from the cruise this past month, I can confirm that all printed materials and signs list the private island as "Castaway Cay." I am not aware that it was ever referred to by any other name or spelling.

SpenceMan01

fngoofy said:
There is also:
EPCOT > Epcot

Lake BuenaVista Shops > Downtown Disney (Entertainment)

Should be:

EPCOT Center > Epcot
and
Lake Buena Vista Shops > Disney Marketplace > Downtown Disney Marketplace

Empress Room said:
According to Disney's official website, the private island visited by both the Magic and the Wonder is still (and has always been) called "Castaway Cay" and not "Castaway Key."

Having returned from the cruise this past month, I can confirm that all printed materials and signs list the private island as "Castaway Cay." I am not aware that it was ever referred to by any other name or spelling.

It's spelled Castaway Cay, but pronounced Castaway KEY on the most recent DCL video and the Travel Channel special, however I've heard it pronounced as both 'Cay' and 'Key'

Tigger1988

SpenceMan01 said:
Should be:

EPCOT Center > Epcot
and
Lake Buena Vista Shops > Disney Marketplace > Downtown Disney Marketplace

Lake Buena Vista Shopping Village > Walt Disney World Village > Disney Village Marketplace > Downtown Disney Marketplace

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom