Attraction name changes over the years...

SpenceMan01

Tigger1988 said:
Lake Buena Vista Shopping Village > Walt Disney World Village > Disney Village Marketplace > Downtown Disney Marketplace
Do we have a nominee for the most renamed area in WDW?? :lol:

Anyone remember that giant blue wooden play structure that used to be there? Ah... good memories!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
peter11435 said:
As pointed out most name changes involved some other changes as well. Certain changes between dreamflight-takeflight, and Dixie Landings-Port Orleans are the most obvious as being simply a name change.

Also to fngoof Castaway Cay is still called Castaway Cay.

Not being picky, but Takeflight lost all it`s Delta signage, in the holding areas and the ride, as well as having the vocal score rewritten.

How far we going with this? Stitches Great Escape still uses Alien Encounter V2`s structure, which used Alien Encounter V1`s, which used Mission to Mars`, which used Flight to the Moons`....

And don`t even think about the Circlevision 360 theatre in Tomorrowland :lol: - 6 films and counting...

Tigger1988

SpenceMan01 said:

Anyone remember that giant blue wooden play structure that used to be there? Ah... good memories!

haha :lol: And some of those changes happened within 1 year of eachother, its crazy!

Pippa

The early early program has had a few names too, I remember:

Surprise Mornings

Extra Magic Hour

and I am sure theres been a few other names

donvincenzo

I remember one of the Birnbaum books I bought in '98 or '99 said Kali River Rapids was originally called Tiger River Runs or something with a tiger.

gcurling

Tomorrowland Then to Now...

Flight to the Moon -> Mission to Mars -> Alien Encounter -> Stitch's Great Escape

America the Beautiful -> Magic Carpet 'Round the World -> America the Beuatiful v2 -> Magic Carpet 'Round the World -> American Jouneys -> Transportarium -> Timekeeper

If You Had Wings -> If You Could Fly -> Dreamflight -> Take Flight -> Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin

WedWay People Mover -> Tomorrowland Transit Authority

Grand Prix Raceway - Tomorrowland Indy Speedway

Star Jets -> Astro Orbiter

The Space Bar -> The Lunching Pad (current one)

Lunching Pad (old one) -> Auntie Gravity's Galactic Goodies

Mickey's Mart -> Mickey's Star Traders

Tomorrowland Terrace -> Cosmic Ray's Starlight Cafe

Space Port -> Merchant of Venus

Space Place -> Geiger's Counter

Plaza Pavillion -> Tomorrowland Noodle Station -> TBA

Tomorrowland Skyway Station -> Abandoned

And, of course, the song change and narration changes to the Carousel of Progress. And, there was a small food service area roughly in the area between Space Mountain and Astro Orbiter back before SM was built.

peter11435

marni1971 said:
Not being picky, but Takeflight lost all it`s Delta signage, in the holding areas and the ride, as well as having the vocal score rewritten.

How far we going with this? Stitches Great Escape still uses Alien Encounter V2`s structure, which used Alien Encounter V1`s, which used Mission to Mars`, which used Flight to the Moons`....

And don`t even think about the Circlevision 360 theatre in Tomorrowland :lol: - 6 films and counting...
Yeah but to the average guest dreamflight and take flight were exactly the same except for name. While with AE and SGE everyone can see that it is c different attraction.

peter11435

donvincenzo said:
I remember one of the Birnbaum books I bought in '98 or '99 said Kali River Rapids was originally called Tiger River Runs or something with a tiger.
The ride was never actually open under the name Tiger River Run. That was the original title but it was changed to Kali River Rapids before opening.

General Grizz

Spaceship Earth - The Big Ball
Test Track - Fast Track
Stitch's Great Escape - Stich's Great Escape
World Showcase - The Countries
Future World - Soarin'

Sorry...couldn't resist. :D

WDWBro

General Grizz said:
Spaceship Earth - The Big Ball
Test Track - Fast Track
Stitch's Great Escape - Stich's Great Escape
World Showcase - The Countries
Future World - Soarin'

Sorry...couldn't resist. :D

I hate you!! It's makes me so angry, all of these names! :mad::brick:

MissM

How can you forget this one?

Journey Into Imagination -> Journey Into Your Imagination -> Journey Into Imagination with Figment

*sniffles*
-m

CoffeeJedi

for simplicity, i think we can eliminate Take Flight > Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranging Hoopla because they're not remotely the same ride concept at all

but how could you forget:
Kitchen Caberet > Food Rocks

i think you have to limit it to where the new ride is the same <i>concept</i> as the old, so Flight to the Moon and Mission to Mars would be one attraction, but Alien Encounter wouldn't be a continuation (Stitch would count as a rename of AE then however)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
CoffeeJedi said:
for simplicity, i think we can eliminate Take Flight > Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranging Hoopla because they're not remotely the same ride concept at all

But same track and ride system; just new props (that have gotten cheaper) - even the 1972 speed room is still in use!

vonpluto

SpenceMan01 said:

Do you mean this thing:

http://home.comcast.net/~vonpluto/86-20_.tif

Around our house it's known as "the ole Dead End"

This might qualify as most renamed and most confusing:
Team Mickey Building
•Summer Sands
Sachet In 81? - 87
Bath Parlor 1975 - 86
Part of Character Shop 1988 - 1995
Toys Fantastique 1995 - 7/02
Summer Sands 8/02 -
•Team Mickey
Port of Entry 1975 - 19?
Village Character Shop ? - 1985
Mickey’s Character Shop 11/16/85 - 10/96
Character Holiday Shop Oct 1996 - 1/97
Christmas Chalet 1/97 - 7/97
Team Mickey 8/97 -
•EuroSpain
Cristal Arts (first section)
Collanade d’Arts 1975 - 77
Cristal Arts 1977 - 95
EuroSpain 1995 -
Cristal Arts (second section)
Cane Rattan Wicker & Sons 1975 -77?
Toledo Arts 1977 - 85
Cristal Arts 1985- 95
EuroSpain 1995 -
•Studio M
Von Ottos 1975 - ?
Great Southern Craft Co 19? - 1987
Lillie Langtrys ? - 94
Studio M 1997 -
•Basin
2R’s Read’n & Rite’n 1975 - 88
Great Southern Craft Co 1988 - 95
Discover 1995 - 7/97
Christmas Chalet 8/97 - 11/97
Disney At Home 11/97 - ?/99
Resort Wear Unlimited ?/99 - 5/00
Generation BeneFITS 6/00 - 7/02
Basin 1/03 -
•Ghiradelli Soda Fountain & Chocolate Shop
Lite Bite 1975 - 1988
Lakeside Terrace 1988 - 1992
Goofy’s Grill 1992 - 1997
Ghiradelli 12/15/97 -

Frank

TurboCaroline

Is it 5:00 yet?
Original Poster
I remembered I started this thread a year and a half ago and I figured we have some things to add to it now..

El Rio Del Tiempo--> Gran Fiesta Tour

The Living Seas--> The Seas with Nemo and Friends

I know I'm forgetting something...

head mouse

Mickey's Birthdayland > Mickey's Toontown > Mickey's Toontown Fair (MK)

Mickey's Birthdayland > Mickey's Starland > Mickey's Toontown > Mickey's Toontown Fair.

Yes, you are right, but I don't think the one in WDW was ever the Enchanted Tiki Room, it when from Tropical Serenade to Tiki Room Under New Management.

WDW was always "The Enchanted Tiki Room" until the mistake...um I mean change.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom