Attempted Rape at Pop Century

Peaches Magee

YIKES! I stayed there that night, and all weekend! Creepy!
I was at Downtown Disney that night till later though, so no police activity or people talking of it when I was there. But we didnt putz around the hotel much, we just ate and slept there, we were at the parks the rest of the time.
Wow, scary! I went and got some food around 10pm on Sunday night and walked back to the room by myself and felt completely safe doing so...
makes you think huh?

echoscot

YIKES! I stayed there that night, and all weekend! Creepy!
I was at Downtown Disney that night till later though, so no police activity or people talking of it when I was there. But we didnt putz around the hotel much, we just ate and slept there, we were at the parks the rest of the time.
Wow, scary! I went and got some food around 10pm on Sunday night and walked back to the room by myself and felt completely safe doing so...
makes you think huh?

Glad you were safe:)

Is that you and your little one in your avatar????

Peaches Magee

Glad you were safe:)

Is that you and your little one in your avatar????

Aww thanks! :)

Yes that my little man, just turned 5 yesterday. We had to head home early in the day becuase he got sick that last night and into the morning on his birthday... felt so bad. But he got better in the afternoon by time we got home. So he ended up feeling better and had a GREAT weekend at "the World" :D

Skyway

Why would the Sheriff's department S_ _ Crimes unit be investigating if it was just a robbery? Obviously the sheriff has not released all the details. I doubt the Sentinel made that part up out of thin air.

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
Not wishing to be insensitive, but reading the article, other than the headline saying it was an attempted rape, the description of the attack sounds more like an attempted robbery or possibly assault, but there's nothing to indicate rape beyond it being a male pushing a female into bushes and trying to steal her room key... What man would attempt to rape a women in broad daylight in a presumably crowded resort area?

:confused:

You read my mind Monty. I am not trying to minimize the attack in any way, but nothing other than the headline leads you to believe the attacker intended to rape her. (unless, of course, we are missing a huge chunk of the story) Getting her room key would only grant him access to her room...in order to get her to the room he presumably would have had to drag her across the resort which would cause quite a scene.

With that being said, this creeps me out to no end. Pretty much every trip I have taken I have wandered around some remote area at night...and probably alone many times at that. At home I would never attempt such a thing (I'm 24 and female...not the best idea) but in Disney I guess I have a false sense of security. It is not uncommon for me to make a food court run at 11pm for soda or something. Also, my friends and I have been known to crawl off the bus from PI late at night in various states of inebriation. I know that on at least a few of those occasions I ended up walking alone.

This recent incident really makes me scared to go anywhere alone on my next trip. I still wouldn't think twice about running around the parks alone (thousands of people, sufficient lighting, Mouse Police everywhere, etc. ) but you can bet I will be glued to my girlfriends' side on my next trip to Pop Century in January.

kimmychad

WOW, the value resorts sure are taking a hit this year aren't they???

yeah if this doesnt tell you to stay somewhere else nothing will. and dont get me wrong if they start having alot of problems at moderates, i wont stay there either. to me being safe and having quiet are more important than having a novelty that will get old pretty quick.

kcw

Last Sept 06 I remember walking the pathway to the dining hall by myself at nite at POR (as some of you know aren't exactly well lit ) and thinking to myself(naively) how peacefull it felt , that I would never do something like that back at home ......But I quess in this day and age its sad to say how paranoid we need to be in a sence..How to be so aware of our surroundings....Even at Disney World , where I know many of us go to escape reality...for a little bit any way....

in july I was down there to work for a week and I stayed at Pop by myself- and I did the same thing you did! I would get back from work late and walk to my room by myself- the weather was great, I was loving being back in FL and working again, and you're right- it was so peaceful!! And I guarantee that my safety was the LAST thing that I was worried about... it's sad how screwy people in the world are getting....:(

LoveDoc143

The Orlando Sentinel is a misleading paper to being with.

The report that was posted in the paper is indeed missing a decent chunk of what happened. On the same side of the coin, I'm sure the Sheriff's office did in fact leave some information out since the investigation is still on-going.

This attack was nothing more then a ------- trying to grope an unsuspecting woman and at the same time trying to rob her - without realizing all she had on her was a room key/charge card which was worthless to him.

Details ARE left out for privacy and security reasons. That is all.

taholden

I think it says in the article that they held back the details of how she escaped. It says she was attacked at 5:50 and got back to her room at 6 PM. Basically the are not addressing the 10 minute gap which they are keeping quite about for some reason. They are probably still investigating and there may be some detail in the assault that they don't want to release because it may lead them to who committed the assault. Just a thought. If I am incorrect with any of my statements I apologize in advance and blame it on lack of sleep thanks to my 2 month old son Jack who is performing a sleep deprivation study.

GoofyDadKB

Missing my mind...
Premium Member
I'll wait for more details but as of right now this story does not pass the sniff test. If it is true I am appalled that this could happen at Disney. But something is not right about this story.

*goes and puts on flame resistant suit and calls the fire department*

My sympathy to the victim.. I remember when we were at All Star Sports in Oct, I wanted to go for a walk around the grounds.. My hubby decided to come with me and I'm glad he did.. The walkways from the parking lots to the buildings and to the front of the resort are not well lit at all.. I am glad he was with me..

LoveDoc143

I'll wait for more details but as of right now this story does not pass the sniff test. If it is true I am appalled that this could happen at Disney. But something is not right about this story.

*goes and puts on flame resistant suit and calls the fire department*

It doesn't pass "the sniff test" because the story is both incomplete and it's Orlando Sentinel title misleading. K9 units, the ten minute gap between 5:50p and 6:00p unexplained and the other family members who were with the victim after the incident in the hotel room - all missing.

Why do a majority of people believe EVERYTHING they read in any media (newspaper, TV news, ineternet blogs, etc.) without questioning the sources validity?

echoscot

Aww thanks! :)

Yes that my little man, just turned 5 yesterday. We had to head home early in the day becuase he got sick that last night and into the morning on his birthday... felt so bad. But he got better in the afternoon by time we got home. So he ended up feeling better and had a GREAT weekend at "the World" :D

Wow, that is awesome that you guys are that close, and honestly I thought he was your little brother at first or something....I don't mean that as an insult, just thought you looked about 19 or 20 in your avatar.

IWorkWTeeth

Well now I know why the 9 police cars and K-9 unit were outside of the resort when I returned from Epcot.

The Front Desk was not giving out any information, and saying that the resort was operating normally and there was no need for caution.

No need for caution!?!? "There's just a rapist running around the resort.....now put on your Mickey ears and have a good time!" :brick:
I understand the need not to start a panic, but I would hate to think that I was at the resort, walking around with my children and nobody even tried to alert us about danger that could be hiding in the woods next to my room.
Just goes to show that no place is immune to the sick-o's in this world and I think sometimes we forget that when we're at Disney. I'm sure this will be in the back of my head when I'm there in January.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom