At Disney, Mission: Space spurs most complaints

GothMickey

TAC said:
So which is it? In another thread you argued that the Orlando Sentinel was not sensationalizing the story. Here you are saying they are.

Maybe you should stick to one opinion instead of switching sides in order to be the "antagonist." :rolleyes:

I do believe I said they were reporting facts... They were in no way twisting the facts on the number of reported illness associated with M:S.... They were also fair in that they mentioned the two deaths were results of health conditions.. They never blamed the ride.. Their headline about M:S being the most hazardous ride in WDW was based on the number, which is more than double that any other attraction of people seeking medical attention after the ride...

And other people here posted that their local papers claimed to have interviewed their locals who got sick on M:S. I did not respond to those because they were overly dramatic....

Honestly TAC I feel now you are taking anything I post just to start a fight with me...

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
What's going to get more coverage - those who complain that they got sick on the ride, or those who said "it's no big deal"?

Even if you get a clean bill of health just before you go, the ride *could* negatively affect you; it's the chance you take with a ride such as M:S. I was very excited to ride it initially, but have backed off somewhat now that I know how it affects me.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
As I said in the other MS nonsense thread...I believe Big Thunder has the most ride related deaths...CoP and the paddlewheeler each have one....

...should be time to recycle the food poisoning story

...or maybe we can get to the real killer, those resort pools!

GothMickey

TAC said:
I never said that they were not reporting facts. My point is it was the paper and the two reporters that used the phrase "the most hazardous ride" at WDW. Using that word implies that a) Disney is not concerned about the safety of its guests b) the ride is mechanically unsafe. Both of which are untrue. The assessment may be based on a number; however, the use of the word unhealty might be more of a factual statement.

Picking a fight? :rolleyes: How about calling you to the carpet to explain your inconsistencies.

Thank you.. Have a nice day sir... :wave:

PencilTest

Not to beat a dead horse, but this little blurb turned up in another article in the Sentinel today:

--AND THE SPONSOR SAYS . . . very little. That's the case with Hewlett-Packard, the Palo Alto, Calif., computer maker and sponsor of Epcot's Mission: Space ride. I contacted HP last week to ask if the death of a tourist after riding Mission: Space -- the second fatality in 10 months -- would alter HP's relationship with the ride. The company offered no comment beyond a prepared statement: "HP has been and remains in close contact with Walt Disney Parks and Resorts regarding this tragedy. We extend our sympathies to everyone involved." The sponsorship of Mission: Space is worth a reported $50 million over 10 years.--

Now I know that I, just like some of you here, am a bit tired of the Sentinel's tendency to rag on Disney, and I think that this was intended as another little jab at M:S and, of course, Hewlett-Packard. To me, they're giving the impression that neither Disney nor its sponsors care about anything but money, not to mention that the writer seemed to be looking for some little off-the-record comment by HP that she could use to pepper her story. So I wrote the following email to the author of this article.

Well, what did you think they would say? You know, this is the sort of feeding-frenzy reaction that I've come to expect from the majority of Orlando's media outlets when it comes to Disney. Is it a tragedy that someone would die after being on a theme park ride? Absolutely. But what would you really expect the sponsors of Mission: Space to say aside from their prepared statement? That they're going to pull out of their contract? That Disney is going to shutter the ride for good? I know that would sell lots of papers, but honestly, two deaths out of nine million riders--with no ride malfunction whatsoever, mind you--is not exactly the epidemic that the Sentinel is making this out to be.
It seems to me that this is a case of unfortunate coincidences. Two people with previously existing medical problems, who probably could have died the same way after riding the Incredible Hulk, the Krakken, or the Sheikra.
How many people die in Ford cars every day? How many people break bones when they fall off of Stanley ladders every month? How many people are killed by Smith & Wesson guns every year? I don't hear anybody knocking down their doors demanding answers.
Is there a place for an intelligent debate on the topic of theme park safety, the appropriateness of thrill rides, and the personal responsibility of those who ride them? Of course. But trying to eke a sound bite out of Hewlett-Packard's PR department isn't a way to get there.

I know I'm not saying anything that hasn't already been said about this, but I just wanted to share. (Sorry for the long post)

PencilTest

GothMickey said:
And you got to let us know what the reporter writes back, if anything at all...
Oh, don't you worry. If I get anything back, I'll let you know. 'Course, that's a pretty big "If". I'm really not expecting a response--just wanted to express my opinion.

GothMickey

PencilTest said:
Oh, don't you worry. If I get anything back, I'll let you know. 'Course, that's a pretty big "If". I'm really not expecting a response--just wanted to express my opinion.

Actually, I wrote to them once about the Disney Magazine, when they had the article about it closing down. That reporter actually did write me back...

PencilTest

Well whaddaya know? I got a response. One of those "There's lots of room for discussion about this issue, thanks for reading my article" emails, but a response nonetheless.

WDWFREAK53

disney.co.nr said:
bleeding of the brain??? im not a doctor but i dont see how that could be caused by a thrill ride.

Brain separation due to high G-forces. It's definitely not unheard of.

Actually, I believe that Josh blacked out from riding a coaster with a high-G-force point to it.

WDWFREAK53

Shaman said:
I really hope the ride stays...I'm look forward to trips to other planets...like Jupiter or Neptune....:D

I can see it now...

OH NO...we entered the planet's atmosphere right above the "Big Red Storm!"

Try navigating through it...wow...what a ride THAT would be!

Shaman

WDWFREAK53 said:
I can see it now...

OH NO...we entered the planet's atmosphere right above the "Big Red Storm!"

Try navigating through it...wow...what a ride THAT would be!

And then after fighting our way through....we find LAND...and try to nail the perfect landing in the extreme conditions.... :eek:

:sohappy:

The possibilities with M:S are endless...

BrittanyRose428

some of the injurys in that list on page 1 are kind of stupif, if you fall getting off a ride and break your wrist than thats not the rides fault you could fall in your house and you wouldnt blame whoever built the house, and the riverboat one the girl couldve been dehydrated seeing as that ride is out in the open and its very hot in florida...

what i dont understand is how people who know they have something like high blood pressure would go on mission space, if theres a sign that says you shouldnt ride it if you have high blood pressure than its not the rides fault it would be the persons fauilt for ignoring warning signs.

jmvd20

what i dont understand is how people who know they have something like high blood pressure would go on mission space, if theres a sign that says you shouldnt ride it if you have high blood pressure than its not the rides fault it would be the persons fauilt for ignoring warning signs.

I was reading one of the news stories about M:S and one man said something along the line of - I know they have a lot of warning signs but all rides have them, who pays attention to that.

Well Jee Whiz Mr. Obvious, I din't realize that the warning on gasoline cans that says EXPLOSIVE was serious. I mean you know, every gas can I've ever seen said the same darn thing.

Woody13

Basketcase463 said:
Unfortunately, just like with diabetes, many people who have high blood pressure don't even know it. High blood pressure is asymptomatic so it often goes undiagnosed for many years.

How about people that have high pressure and take medication(s) to control it? Are they at risk on Mission:Space if their blood pressure is under control?

Should all riders on Mission:Space be required to take a "flight physical" prior to boarding? :wave:

LSUxStitch

^^haha, I think I might have to spur for that one.

I wonder if you walked into Epcot with that shirt, would they tell you anything?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom