Astro Orbiter and TTA Refurbishment in 2014

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Meanwhile, at the south end...

Raceway71south.jpg

1979:

Raceway south 79.jpg

The main item of note is the first Skyway pylon from the station building. Pre WEDWay and SM it was inside the Raceway. After 1975 it was on the edge of the raceway, on the walkway.

Of course, you can also see how the pavement width between the Skyway and the Raceway got an awful lot wider, also note the realigned raceway track south of the overpass. The curvey kink changed to a straight bit of track. Also note how the Raceways first corner turns sharper to go under the bridge in 1979 - look at the shrunken grass island above and to the left of the bridge in the above photo.

And, you can also look at photos like this and chuckle at the minimal space between the Skyway waterfall and the Raceway:

Skyway 1971.jpg

compared to this:

OldTomorrow02.jpg

jt04

Concensus is the fabled Mary Poppins dark ride.

Also note the other large show building between the CoP and Skyway, amongst other proposed additions. No idea what that was to be.

Great information. :)

Wouldn't mind seeing the MP concept installed in WS.

(I am warming to the idea of Epcot being sold to Google or an oil magnate or some other arrangement. Perhaps then it would see some necessary investment.)

tl77

I'll hazard a guess the 1972-8 shorten was done in preparation of the never built dark ride that would have been east of the 20K show building, seen here in 1980:

View attachment 28803

(Also note the semi-convoluted WEDway detour around the Raceway again)

You mentioned the unknown Tomorrowland show building in this photo, but before the Birthdayland train station was added, wasn't there supposed to be a train station put in Tomorrowland, somewhere around location unknown building, could that be what this building was?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
You mentioned the unknown Tomorrowland show building in this photo, but before the Birthdayland train station was added, wasn't there supposed to be a train station put in Tomorrowland, somewhere around location unknown building, could that be what this building was?
I'm afraid not. The station was to be an extension of the SM satellite building, roughly where the arcade is today:

image.jpg

Figments Friend

Great photos Martin...thanks for sharing!
I will admit, i was not aware of the Speedway being changed so much.
I thought i was crazy when i looked at old photos and it appeared to be larger. Now i know that was the case all along !

tl77

View attachment 28803
(Also note the semi-convoluted WEDway detour around the Raceway again)
I'm afraid not. The station was to be an extension of the SM satellite building, roughly where the arcade is today:

View attachment 28804

Ok, this is going to get a little confusing here, but the painting photo you posted was pretty early on, certainly it's pre-1975 before Space Mountain was built with all the extra spires still in the design. I've seen this painting photo before, and I know at this is time this is where they were considering putting a Tomorrowland train station

But the model photo I'd had never seen before, it look like it's some time after the painting photo but still before Space Mountain and Tomorrowland were finished, but there's a lot of interesting features in it.

I noticed as the train tracks come out of the supposed "Mary Poppins" building they go over top an extended water way east of the Speedway race track, which isn't there today, but this water way extends into Tommorrowland just in front of Space Mountain, where the Arcade is now and where the train station is in the painting photo

And the "unknown" Tomorrowland building sits right along the edge of the train tracks, which is why I thought it may have been later potential Train station location.

at any rate, thanks for posting these and all the Speedway images. I remember as a kid the speedway being much long ride, and then one day I noticed "hey this ride isn't as long as it used to be" but I didn't know the full story on that

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Yep, the painting was 72-3. Even so, aside from the railroad station it is virtually as-completed. The model was shot in 1980, and is circa late 70s since it also has BTM as-completed as opposed to WRE or a derivative.

tl77

Yep, the painting was 72-3. Even so, aside from the railroad station it is virtually as-completed. The model was shot in 1980, and is circa late 70s since it also has BTM as-completed as opposed to WRE or a derivative.

Ok, thanks for the dates

That model photo was really amazing to see though with that water way in it. Because the Speedway had waterfalls along the south east corner at one point correct? along the banked wall? It seems like that water way in the model would have met up with Speedways water fall had that model been the final version of Tomorrowland

I know the walking path that's there between Tomorrowland and what's now Storybook Circus is at a fairly low elevation, it's bit of a valley or basin, and just beyond the train tracks there's a canal. It was really great to see that photo and imagine that whole area some kind lake

Thanks again for posting that photo, it was really neat to see that "what if" version of Tomorrowland

cba

Finally, a Tommorowland refurb. I just wish they'd take away "other" (hint, hint) rides. Hopefully with TTA there won't be too much of a difference then there is now as I like it. Maybe a new cool scene or a repaint.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom