Astro Orbiter and TTA Refurbishment in 2014

Skibum1970

No, you don't. LOL, did see you notice how the ride had to slow down when a turn came? Or how many times the ride stopped before it was even over? Unless you want a more advanced, more thought-out version.

That blast off in the beginning used to be so much fun, though. Wish I could ride Rocket Rods one more time.

Main thing, install proper banking on the corners to allow for speed. In the dark sections, slow it down and have show scenes and make it the motorized coaster track. Then, upon leaving the scenes, launch it back up to speed. In some of the dark sections, leave it dark with full speed. Use regular coaster track and coaster trains to get the job done.

Californian Elitist

Main thing, install proper banking on the corners to allow for speed. In the dark sections, slow it down and have show scenes and make it the motorized coaster track. Then, upon leaving the scenes, launch it back up to speed. In some of the dark sections, leave it dark with full speed. Use regular coaster track and coaster trains to get the job done.

Basically start over with the ride haha.

Lexxweb

No, you don't. LOL, did see you notice how the ride had to slow down when a turn came? Or how many times the ride stopped before it was even over? Unless you want a more advanced, more thought-out version.

That blast off in the beginning used to be so much fun, though. Wish I could ride Rocket Rods one more time.

I think now that it has been roughly 13 years, they could figure out how to do this concept correctly. I think it's a neat idea and worth looking into. At the same time I love the TTA and would hate to see that go. Conflicted.

HMF

I think now that it has been roughly 13 years, they could figure out how to do this concept correctly. I think it's a neat idea and worth looking into. At the same time I love the TTA and would hate to see that go. Conflicted.
I wouold take the TTA Peoplemover anyday.

articos

@marni1971, would you be answer any of my questions on page two about the narration change process. Is it logical to think that they are all stored in some sort of central audio system that can be changed at any moment? From what I understand, DACS isn't used at all anymore.
Audio's not stored in a central audio system, per se, but it is easily switched out. Not necessarily flipping a switch, but still can be done within one 3rd shift. I'm not sure on this particular attraction, but Disney has been utilizing Medialon and Siemens Show Control and A/V equipment lately. Some of the previous gen equipment are Alcorn/LCS units - all industrial digital stuff. Previous narrations should be in one of the archives. There is usually a reason for a narration being switched, however, so it's rare that one would be reverted to an earlier version unless it's part of an attraction revamp.

articos

I don't think the track is falling apart, but will it be able to take the abuse and/or extra weight of banking the curves?
The track's not falling down, but it's not in great shape and would need some work to bring it up to speed, so to speak. If the footprint is reused, I expect the track will get a significant overhaul.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Interesting...I have it from Gurr that Speedway moved a bit for SM, but it was actually expanded at the same time in 73. Have to ask and see if his memory is faulty or I'm misunderstanding. Then it was chopped for Birthdayland, as we know.
Bizzare. This got me thinking... and digging. Speedway actually shrank twice at the northern end. Once around the mid to late 70s, and then again for Starland. I can't find anything showing it grew at any time.

The southern end changed quite a bit for SM and the WEDway too.

Animaniac93-98

Even if they kept the same ride system and just banked the curves, the ride would be much faster, more fun, and have a shorter run time allowing for a higher hourly capacity.

I really wish they had just done the ride properly so that it would still be around today.

articos

Bizzare. This got me thinking... and digging. Speedway actually shrank twice at the northern end. Once around the mid to late 70s, and then again for Starland. I can't find anything showing it grew at any time.

The southern end changed quite a bit for SM and the WEDway too.
Next time I run into him or others who were around during those days, I'll ask again. I'm intrigued now too. Never know - their memories are getting foggy on a lot of the details now, sadly. On the other hand, the documentation from those days isn't always accurate, either, so six of one, half-dozen...

tl77

Next time I run into him or others who were around during those days, I'll ask again. I'm intrigued now too. Never know - their memories are getting foggy on a lot of the details now, sadly. On the other hand, the documentation from those days isn't always accurate, either, so six of one, half-dozen...

The Speedway was quite a bit longer when it first opened in '71, in the early 90's about 1/4 of the track was removed for Birthdayland

This isn't the greatest photo, but on the bottom left where the turn station for the Skyway sits is almost the exact spot where the new Dumbo tent/building is now, the race track went up through there next to 20,000 leagues

023%2BBLOG%2B-%2BTomorrowland.jpg

articos

The Speedway was quite a bit longer when it first opened in '71, in the early 90's about 1/4 of the track was removed for Birthdayland

This isn't the greatest photo, but on the bottom left where the turn station for the Skyway sits is almost the exact spot where the new Dumbo tent/building is now, the race track went up through there next to 20,000 leagues

023%2BBLOG%2B-%2BTomorrowland.jpg
Yep, we know the speedway was longer originally and was chopped for the Starland/Birthdayland/now NF area, and it seems in the early 70s realignment for SM. Trying to get the bottom of why there's also reference to an expansion of the track around 73 as well. I'm wondering if the track was widened or more vehicles added at some point, expanding capacity and that may be the reference. Not sure, but I'll find out eventually.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom