News Artist Point to become Storybook Dining character experience

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

Just a guess... might be why the former SIG did not want to degrade over Halloween :).
(Joke - it's a JOKE)....
pukingdish.jpg

Magenta Panther

I care about theme...I don't care at all about character meet-and-greets. I just hope this new version of Artists' Point is truly immersive, and that the food is worth the cost.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I care about theme...I don't care at all about character meet-and-greets. I just hope this new version of Artists' Point is truly immersive, and that the food is worth the cost.

I honestly don’t get what your criteria is?

The food will not be worth the cost...that is absolutely a given under this scenario

So you don’t want characters but you want an “immersive experience” at a place that uses characters to mass produce food and move volume??

Confused

Magenta Panther

I honestly don’t get what your criteria is?

The food will not be worth the cost...that is absolutely a given under this scenario

So you don’t want characters but you want an “immersive experience” at a place that uses characters to mass produce food and move volume??

Confused

Well, okay. By "immersive", I'd like the restaurant to actually remind me of a "magical, forest-like setting" as described by The Site That Must Not Be Named; I hope TDO puts some effort and ingenuity into that. As long as the restaurant really makes me think of an enchanted forest, I don't care if a single Dwarf appears or not. Also at the aforementioned Site are descriptions and pictures of some of the food, and while I realize that those are carefully constructed prototypes and may not be truly representative of the actual dishes served, they all look pretty good, some even scrumptious-looking, to me. So I'm willing to keep an open mind about the Artist Point changes for now. (Of course, I'm a huge fan of the Snow White movie, so I might be prejudiced).

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Well, okay. By "immersive", I'd like the restaurant to actually remind me of a "magical, forest-like setting" as described by The Site That Must Not Be Named; I hope TDO puts some effort and ingenuity into that. As long as the restaurant really makes me think of an enchanted forest, I don't care if a single Dwarf appears or not. Also at the aforementioned Site are descriptions and pictures of some of the food, and while I realize that those are carefully constructed prototypes and may not be truly representative of the actual dishes served, they all look pretty good, some even scrumptious-looking, to me. So I'm willing to keep an open mind about the Artist Point changes for now. (Of course, I'm a huge fan of the Snow White movie, so I might be prejudiced).

Enchanted forest like a childcare center?

I would expected lots of trees, gnomes and magical unicorns...if I were you.

As far as food goes...what character meals do you feel are “worth” the price? Just as a baseline.

Magenta Panther

As far as food goes...what character meals do you feel are “worth” the price? Just as a baseline.

Trust me, I'm not into character meals at all. But some times they're hard to avoid. For instance, on one of my WDW visits, I wanted to eat at Akershus, which meant that the place was crawling with Princesses. I managed to avoid the photo shoot, but was still accosted by Disney royalty (who were all very nice of course). The food at Akershus was meh IMO. I don't think I'd eat there again unless its menu has improved. On the other hand, I have eaten at Cinderella's Royal Table inside the Castle, and to my surprise, the food was really good. Overpriced, but good. And it was cool to be inside of the Castle, cramped though it was, plus I was seated by a window so I could look down at the street behind the Castle. I would definitely do it again. It was a great experience. BTW, my cousin ate at the Castle restaurant back when it was King Stephan's Royal Banqueting Hall, and he says that the food was great and worth the price. I don't know if any characters were involved in it or not. FWIW.

Last edited:

LSLS

That's a relative question. Do you mean worth it in general, or worth it in context of other food offered at Disney world?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That's a relative question. Do you mean worth it in general, or worth it in context of other food offered at Disney world?

I mean...are you paying $55 for a $20 meal?...

And no...that’s not “standard” for WDW...there are far better uses of cash both within the parks and hotels and at springs...

Not as good as maybe the past...but not at what the character Place have become.

They weren’t always this way...not too long ago the dinners where $27 and the breakfast were $16...for adults.

Obviously prices would have gone up...but I’m not talking 1985

LSLS

I mean...are you paying $55 for a $20 meal?...

And no...that’s not “standard” for WDW...there are far better uses of cash both within the parks and hotels and at springs...

Not as good as maybe the past...but not at what the character Place have become.

They weren’t always this way...not too long ago the dinners where $27 and the breakfast were $16...for adults.

Obviously prices would have gone up...but I’m not talking 1985

So based on that, probably not. Before i would say maybe once to try, but I'm not sure we will be in wdw often or long enough to really even consider it at this point.

I'm just thinking of character meals that are worth it (beyond just the characters for the food), not just of this one. If disney springs are a comparisson I'm out. If only on site, maybe 1900 or Cape may? Dont disagree with the rest of what you said, just got me thinking.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
So based on that, probably not. Before i would say maybe once to try, but I'm not sure we will be in wdw often or long enough to really even consider it at this point.

I'm just thinking of character meals that are worth it (beyond just the characters for the food), not just of this one. If disney springs are a comparisson I'm out. If only on site, maybe 1900 or Cape may? Dont disagree with the rest of what you said, just got me thinking.

The ones that are still...sorta...decent on scale?

Maybe tusker house? Garden grill? Park fare?

TrojanUSC

Garden Grill lunch/dinner used to be special. Now it's just Sysco & GFS product. You really think that salad has greens from The Land? It used to. Now all that stuff they grow is just thrown out and composted.

Just about every character meal is just Sysco & GFS product. It's embarrassing. I remember fondly when the food was so good you'd often want recipes for many dishes.

Chef Mickey's dinner had to be the worst restaurant meal I've ever had in my life, food-wise. It used to be decent - anybody remember the home made parmesan mashed potatoes? Now it all tastes like prison slop.

spacemtnfanatic

I would pay 2018 prices for the legacy food/menus. It’s insulting to the consumer to serve what is currently being served for the prices. But folks line up for it and then rave about it, which is the craziest part of it. How many times friends have said Ohana breakfast has “the best eggs”

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I haven't been to this website in a long time. Miss it!

But this Artist Point issue has got my family P-O'ed. My intention here is NOT to attack anyone's opinion; we all are entitled to our opinions. Jumping right in, so what has happened to Walter Elias Disney's concept of theme-ing? When we visited the Wilderness Lodge and its Villas for the first time, we were amazed at the attention to detail the Imagineers had achieved at this site. We felt like we had just arrived by rail, from a far off place, to one of the great lodges of the West. We could "feel" our adventure just beginning! Just Amazing! Go ahead, walk through those big doors, look at the "immenseness" of the lobby. Now close your eyes and smell the air of that big room. The cypress logs, the foods from Whispering Canyon, listen to the excitement of the newbies as they enter. Wow!
So how the heck does "Story-Book Land" fit in here? I've been to the Old Faithful Inn in Yellowstone National Park, which served as the model for this architecture. It's amazing that the "feel" of walking through their doors and being absorbed by that atmosphere is so much like what the Imagineers have done in Florida. Except, I never saw Snow White nor the Seven Dwarfs.

My wife and I were at Artist Point a few weeks ago. Still had the same menu items, for now; I had my favorite, the Cedar-Plank Salmon. We were bold enough to talk to a few employees about the coming change. Our server has been there since they opened the doors on day one. His responses to our questions were of the "trying to be supportive" type of comment. But we could see in his face that he does not like it, at all. I could tell he was talking to us through his facial expressions. When he could see that I understood what he was NOT saying, he smiled wryly. And, it sounds like there might be a change-over in staffing, not by Disney's doing, either. Another staff member, one who has a position of authority, was being supportive (carefully), and asking to please return and "give-us-a-try". Well, yeah, we'll give the restaurant a try. But after looking at the new menu, themed towards "Story Book Land", the disappointment has already started.

I understand that Walt Disney World is all about entertainment. And yes, there are a lot of restaurants themed towards the concept of "character meals". But you know, why not let the adults have their places too. And it seems to me, that the the signature dining restaurants are a great place for that. They give the adults a chance to relax and enjoy a supreme meal with high-end drinks, if they wish, and maybe share a special moment with their spouse. Artist Point has been such a place since the doors opened. But, now that this change is happening at Artist Point, what's next? Jikos with Timone and Pumba? Victoria and Albert's, introducing Goofy and Donald Duck? How about California Grill featuring Gastogne?

I shudder at the thought!

If the Disney Resorts and Restaurants office wants to make a change at Artist Point, why not re-trace their steps back to those first 5 or 6 years to that menu. That's what those first guests remember, and one of those things that the guests like to go back and re-live again. I've noticed over the years, and I'm sure that many on this website have also, that as the menus change, the quality seems to go up and down. Those first four or five times I've eaten there knocked my socks off. I hope many of you have had those same memories, too.
Anyway, I guess I've bent your ears enough. I hope all of you folks continues to go to WDW. It is a great place go and have fun with your family. I'm sure, in the end, things will work out. Crossing Fingers!
Bravo!

Someone laminate this post.

Succinctly sums up my feelings about what used to be the “Vacation Kingdom”.

Now, that same place, as my friend @George smartly says, is... “Baby World for morons”

TrojanUSC

I would pay 2018 prices for the legacy food/menus. It’s insulting to the consumer to serve what is currently being served for the prices. But folks line up for it and then rave about it, which is the craziest part of it. How many times friends have said Ohana breakfast has “the best eggs”

They rave about the juice, as if it's not available at every other character breakfast on property.

There's a Disney food Facebook group that shan't be named, which has tens of thousands of members, mostly housewives with too much time on their hands asking for reviews and photos on restaurants - I guess because they haven't heard of Yelp or TripAdvisor before - and the reviews are always just glowing. If you criticize the food, or bring up the reality of Disney restaurants in 2018, they remove you. Don't get in the way of their fantasy is the lesson, I guess.

BigThunderMatt

I would definitely do it again. It was a great experience. BTW, my cousin ate at the Castle restaurant back when it was King Stephan's Royal Banqueting Hall, and he says that the food was great and worth the price. I don't know if any characters were involved in it or not. FWIW.

Back then you could literally walk up and get a table. And even as recently as 2008 they were serving full cuts of prime rib at dinner. Their menu has REALLY gone downhill for the price you pay these days.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom