Arendelle Village expansion (Frozen) update watch.

Sped2424

Original Poster
It came out today that a trackless Mickey themed ride will replace Great Movie Ride at WDW, opening in 2019. A copy of that new Mickey ride is intended for DLR as well.
2019? Surely that means GMR would have to close earlier than 2018 as folks are saying swl might not even open that year.

GrizzlyAdams

They should put a Mickey Ride in DCA as part of their redo of Hollywoodland... part to old classic Disney as you come off Buena Vista, part to Marvel behind it.

mharrington

Not entirely. It goes in to the "FUTURE EXPANSION" space that the famous Miceage Update map from last year showed. It's the box wedged between Toontown and the Millenium Falcon ride, and it's accesses via the current Fantasyland Theater area behind StorybookLand. Here's the Miceage map from 2015.

disneylands-star-wars-land-expansion-layout-shown-in-new-map-and-new-details2

And again I have to say, that old Miceage map just looks more and more accurate by the day. It really was a scoop when they dropped that into an Update last year!

And here's an aerial of cleared land from six weeks ago, with the Star Wars footprint overlaid onto it. Frozen/Arendelle area would be left open after the Star Wars dust settles and Star Wars Land opens.
CnRUDTmUIAERMkR.jpg

From the two overhead shots above, I think that the expansion will probably remove the Fantasyland theater and a small bit of Toontown (maybe the Go Coaster and the treehouse), in addition to the area marked "future expansion". I would think that altogether that would create a lot of room for this addition of Arendelle. I'm hoping that it's primarily the one Frozen ride and the surrounding village for atmosphere (maybe one or two shops, even a small restaurant). This is all just a hunch, mind you.

I'm thinking they will announce everything of this kind, the Fantasyland expansion, the Marvel expansion, even the alleged Mickey ride, at next year's D23 (which I'm definitely going to be going to), although I think the real emphasis may be on the Star Wars land. At the rate construction has been going along right now, it looks like it will be pretty far along by next year and may even be open by 2018.

D

Deleted member 107043

You never know with Disney, but I'd be surprised if Toontown survived a Fantasyland expansion in the adjacent area. The Cartoon Spin show building could easily be repurposed and the Mickey Meet & greet can be placed elsewhere in the resort. There's really nothing in the land that isn't dispensable.

mharrington

You never know with Disney, but I'd be surprised if Toontown survived a Fantasyland expansion in the adjacent area. The Cartoon Spin show building could easily be repurposed and the Mickey Meet & greet can be placed elsewhere in the resort. There's really nothing in the land that isn't dispensable.

I thought the rumor was that only part of Toontown would be repurposed for the Fantasyland expansion (the westernmost end), leaving the Roger Rabbit area intact and possibly moving the Mickey meet-n-greet over to that spot, likely in the former Jolly Trolley barn, which would be repurposed. Since Toontown helps provide the conceit of Disneyland as Mickey's home, maybe the new spot could be an apartment, rather than a house. I say that because there's certainly not a lot of space for a house like the one on the western end. Again, this is just a hunch, backed up by some quasi-evidence that the people in the know here have provided.

Regardless of whether it is impacted or not, either in whole or in part, I certainly would miss Toontown as it is right now, and so would a lot of the young'uns for whom this land was primarily intended.

LukaLand

I would think if they did the Frozen village in the area containing Gadget's coaster they'd just slap Olaf or Sven on it and keep it. Why not, I'm sure its a lot of fun for kids too small for the bigger rides.

mharrington

I would think if they did the Frozen village in the area containing Gadget's coaster they'd just slap Olaf or Sven on it and keep it. Why not, I'm sure its a lot of fun for kids too small for the bigger rides.

I imagine they might do something like that. Maybe theme it to Kristoff's sleigh or something.

mharrington

Couldn't they move the Mickey hug rooms to the Opera House on Main Street like they did in Florida?

In Florida, the space was some kind of a twilight space, used at several times for a variety of things, first the Walt Disney Story attraction and then a random collection of photo spots, a theater that shows old cartoons, and a spot to sell timeshares. Now all of that was converted into the Mickey meet-n-greet today.

In California, however, the Opera House is home to Mr. Lincoln. Again, a few other attractions have come in, including the same old Walt Disney Story, replacing Mr. Lincoln. But I seem to recall that people were upset that Mr. Lincoln was gone, and they demanded his return, which they did. A similar controversy erupted when they considered replacing Mr. Lincoln with the Muppets. This time, thankfully, nothing came of that. You can read about that here: http://www.yesterland.com/wdstory.html. So the idea of Mr. Lincoln being ousted - again - is not really something I would really care to entertain, and neither would a lot of other guests. Besides, Mickey already does a meet-n-greet near this spot.

No, I think and hope that they keep Mickey in a proper place, in his own section of the park (not as part of a preexisting section), which I'm sure they will.

George Lucas on a Bench

I believe Roger Rabbit is on the chopping block. I'm surprised it's lasted this long. Sure, they occasionally bring out the character, but it's just not a marketable film for them. Isn't there some kind of legal issue because of AMBLIN Entertainment co-owning the characters? Disney also paid off the author of the novel years ago. They even blatantly ripped it off with that stupid Bonkers cartoon show. I'm surprised Iger hasn't axed it and tried to get everyone to forget about this "mistake" of a film that featured characters from opposing studios.

mharrington

I believe Roger Rabbit is on the chopping block. I'm surprised it's lasted this long. Sure, they occasionally bring out the character, but it's just not a marketable film for them. Isn't there some kind of legal issue because of AMBLIN Entertainment co-owning the characters? Disney also paid off the author of the novel years ago. They even blatantly ripped it off with that stupid Bonkers cartoon show. I'm surprised Iger hasn't axed it and tried to get everyone to forget about this "mistake" of a film that featured characters from opposing studios.

Well, it is still a pretty popular ride, with lines often at 45 minutes, if not longer. And it has Fastpass.

Stevek

Or could they redo Roger as the rumored Mickey ride and move the meet and greet to one of the shops next door? Just get rid of the Toontown name, make this and Frozenland part of the new expanded FL?

D

Deleted member 107043

Or could they redo Roger as the rumored Mickey ride and move the meet and greet to one of the shops next door? Just get rid of the Toontown name, make this and Frozenland part of the new expanded FL?

Cool idea!

Stevek

I wonder if there is any chance Disney could eventually buy the Anaheim Majestic Garden Hotel and the adjacent buildings and move some of the service buildings as well as the fireworks launch pad over there. This would free up some additional room for expansion in the near future. There wouldn't be a need to shut down attractions if fireworks were moved to the other side of Ball Rd. The only thing that would hamper that is the visibility on the 5.
Interesting idea but my gut tells me that with the SW expansion, they are pretty much tapped out expanding Disneyland. Anything new to come will likely be at the cost of something that currently exists i.e. Toontown, Autopia, Subs, etc. I also think that logistically, that may be a bit more challenging for the fireworks, both from a perspective when using the Castle as a centerpiece and even more significant, much closer to Anaheim neighborhoods which already have problems with DL fireworks.

mharrington

@mharrington I'm well aware of the various failed attempts to oust the Lincoln show. I feel that Lincoln's run on Main Street has been a good one, and the space is way overdue for something new.

I think the majority would be inclined to disagree. That may be why the attempts to oust the Lincoln show had failed. Maybe the figure just needs to be improved again.

And here's the other thing: check out this website: https://www.buildzoom.com/property-info/1313-s-harbor-blvd-anaheim-ca. It talks about the building permits necessary for construction projects throughout the resort.

About two months ago, they put out a permit to improve the Mickey meet-n-greet in Toontown. It is permit #BLD2016-02027. The valuation came to about $83,000 (which is not cheap). The type of work is "tenant improvement": "fall protection, new entry hatch, ladder(s), guardrail(s), handholds and gate, repair existing steps (locations on roof and 2nd floor)".

So based on the information provided, I would think that at least part, if not all, of Toontown would be sticking around for a while longer. I get that not everyone likes Toontown for various reasons, but it is fun for little kids. Again, this is just a guess, but given the information provided thus far, I'm thinking that maybe the area with the treehouse and the Go Coaster will be absorbed into the Fantasyland expansion, with the treehouse entirely gone and the Go Coaster rethemed to Frozen, maybe a sleigh ride with Kristoff. They moved decidedly fast in that scene, especially as they were being pursued by wolves. And who knows? Maybe they will actually try to connect that dead end of Toontown with the expansion so people can come and go more easily.

But as I said before, we will probably know more at next year's D23, although the main emphasis will likely be on the Star Wars land, which will be due to open soon by that time.

George Lucas on a Bench

The Lincoln AA is the most impressive human figure in any Disney park.

What exactly do you propose they put in the Opera House? I mean, what can you really fit in that space? It's like when people propose they replace the Tiki Room. With what? Where? How?

It's a permanent staple of Disneyland, despite misguided removals in the past.

D

Deleted member 107043

About two months ago, they put out a permit to improve the Mickey meet-n-greet in Toontown. It is permit #BLD2016-02027. The valuation came to about $83,000 (which is not cheap). The type of work is "tenant improvement": "fall protection, new entry hatch, ladder(s), guardrail(s), handholds and gate, repair existing steps (locations on roof and 2nd floor)".

While $83K seems like a lot of money to the average person it's chump change for a multi-billion dollar media company. I read somewhere recently that each showing of Fantasmic! costs $70K plus, so I wouldn't read too much into the installation of some pricey safety features on a Toontown rooftop.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom