Are we the only ones who stay all day?

Batphobic

Original Poster
I've read over and over about how trips to WDW with kids absolutely require a mid-afternoon trip back to the resort for naps and/or pool time.

But we never do. I have 4 kids ages 8 and under and we go from park opening to closing, 5 days in a row. The littler ones sleep wherever they can - in the stroller, during a meal, etc. The older ones (again, the oldest is 8) have more energy than my wife and I so they just go go go.

We tend to schedule are ADRs right around the mid-afternoon time... that usually lasts at least an hour and a half and this acts as our slow-down-and-rest time.

Anyone else do this?

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Since he was 5 my son and I have been going and never took an afternoon break.

bamillerpa

I don't think it's required but when it's really hot out it's just such a great feeling to jump in that pool in the afternoon. When I was younger we took an afternoon break about 50% of the time and I remember loving the days that we took the break. To me, going back to the hotel and swimming was just as fun as being in the parks but I do think that the break was more for my parents then the kids. During our next trip we plan on spending some time in the afternoons swimming either at our hotel or the waterparks and it's not because we are tired, it's because we are hot. I saw do whatever works for you. We could easily go all day, we simply enjoy the swim break and look forward to it.

erinshaneb

We bought a good stroller that the kids can nap in..we plan on trying to stay at the parks all day if possible (if the kids will actually nap in the stroller) if not then we will just have to go back..my daughter is 4 and is pretty much done with naps and my son is 8 months old and he already is anti-napper (if he can get away it..lol)..i just told hubby and my dad to be prepared, if we have to take a break we will..by the way..what's ADR?

slappy magoo

I'm usually pretty excited, not just to be at WDW but just to be AWAY. I'm a hard core commuter, I'm out the door to go to work at 8ish, catch an 8:30 train, work ON the train most days, get to work a little before 10, work till around 5:30, walk to the train station, work ON the train again most days, get in the door at 7:30. If I'm having a "staycation," I'll try to get as much rest as I can, but if I'm ANYWHERE, ESPECIALLY WDW, if I nap, then I'm flat out exhausted. I'm not saying naps don't happen, but I'm almost like a kid fighting sleep: "But I'm not reeeeeally tired...come on, there's so much more to do." So when I do fall asleep, it's like I've been doped.

However, my darling Slappette can't do the dawn-till-dusk theme park thing. She prefers breaking the day up and spending time enjoying the amenities of the hotel. Last trips we took, depending on where we were staying, if she needed rest but I didn't, I'd take that time to either explore the resort, or head back to a park. Which is why, as much as I enjoy Saratoga Springs, sometimes I wish I had bought another DVC on resale. Going to MK when staying at Wilderness, or going to Epcot and the Studios when staying at Boardwalk, was awesome. Doing things my wife wasn't as interested in doing, or re-doing things we did together. Single rider lines! And being close to "home" if I was needed was great. As our little Slappette gets older, it'll be interesting to see who she takes more after. Maybe I'll have sired my match, and she'll be the one to leave me in the Disney dust.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
When we stayed "on-site" we would sometimes take time out in the afternoon, depending mainly on the time of the year in which we were visiting. Summertime, definitely, it helped us beat the crowds and relax in the pools. But November-December, between Thanksgiving and Christmas when the parks are decorated to the nines and the crowds are practically minimal, no way. We were there all day.

knnyrobb

we are usually at the park from morning to closing. The only time we really break is if we are there for over a week and are going to the parks 2 times each.. We will take one of the days to hang at the hotel at the pool for a while before hitting the park. But I am there for the parks and we try to make a day of it! My kids are 7 and almost 11 now.. But we have always done a whole park day with them

Batphobic

Original Poster
Interesting - Thanks for the replies - good to hear we're not the only family touring all day. Even stops throughout the day for cinnamon rolls or brownie sundaes are a chance to slow down and relax for a bit before hitting it hard again.

We bought a good stroller that the kids can nap in

Yes I agree - we have a double side-by-side stroller and both sides recline and the kids nap in that just fine. I can't imagine doing DW with an "umbrella" stroller or something like that.

depending mainly on the time of the year in which we were visiting. Summertime, definitely, it helped us beat the crowds and relax in the pools. But November-December, between Thanksgiving and Christmas when the parks are decorated to the nines and the crowds are practically minimal, no way. We were there all day.

Yes - we have yet to go in the dead of summer. Going in a couple weeks and I'm prepping myself for it to be uncomfortably hot but hopefully not. But like you said - I'm looking forward to all the Halloween/Fall decorations being out and prefer to just remain in the parks!

SCB502

My family and I let the day play out. If we are tired or it is really crowded we will go take a break. If everyone is doing ok we stay all day.
The part that blows me away is the all day, 5 days in a row part. We always either go every other day or only part of a day between full days. I could never make it without sleep.

Beccone

We have stuck it out in the parks all day quite a few times but we try to find quiet spots to relax and cool down whenever anyone needs it. For instance on our last trip in Aug09 we were at MK and it was ungodly hot, we were just melting. Our ADR for Chef Mickey's wasn't until 5:30 but we decided to head over there about an hour and a half early and just chill. My dh took the boys in the arcade for a long time while my mil and I shopped with my dd, then we just went and sat and relaxed. After dinner we were all refreshed and ready to head back to MK for the night.

WDWmazprty

Leave? no way, my littlest is 3 years old and she does just fine. Like most kids her age, if she's tired, she'll sleep in the stroller for an hour or so, then wake up ready to go again.

Of course, if you have an infant, then maybe you should consider going back for a little bit.

mickeysshoes

This past August was trip #11 and for the first handful of trips we were GO non-stop all day...but anymore we take breaks. We got tired of feeling like we need a vacation from our vacation once we got home. Its not all about the parks to us any more either..we want to take advantage of everything the world has to offer...so we take breaks and explore!!!

erinshaneb

Leave? no way, my littlest is 3 years old and she does just fine. Like most kids her age, if she's tired, she'll sleep in the stroller for an hour or so, then wake up ready to go again.

Of course, if you have an infant, then maybe you should consider going back for a little bit.

We had an infant with us this past trip..my son was 8 months old..he lasted better than any of us..lol..he took more naps in the stroller at WDW then he does at home..the running joke is he was the easiest one to deal with..we came home one day to rest and that was bcuz we were headed to the Halloween party that night

WDWmazprty

We had an infant with us this past trip..my son was 8 months old..he lasted better than any of us..lol..he took more naps in the stroller at WDW then he does at home..the running joke is he was the easiest one to deal with..we came home one day to rest and that was bcuz we were headed to the Halloween party that night

Good for you! :sohappy: Frankly, we took our littlest when she was an infant too and she was fine. Some people I guess would rather take that rest back at the hotel. If you're prepared well you can definitely stay all day with a baby.

tjnpd116

We stay out all day, cant stand to miss anything. The only time we see the hotel/camper is to take a shower and to sleep. Even if we go swimming, it's after the parks close. We have two kids 8 and 4 and have never had a problem.

P.S. If it gets so bad someone needs a nap that cant fit in the stroller, I allways thought thats what the Hall of President's was for.:ROFLOL:

jeffk410

we normally take a break simply because during peak times I feel I can barely get anything done. I also like to relax a little more on vacation. Its all what you want.

SAV

Next trip, there is a possibility that we will take one day in the middle of the trip "off" from the parks to let everyone sleep in, actually use the pool and use it to explore the resorts. We have never done it, but it is something that will be considered. The past several trips, we have done the parks commando style from open to close. The kids "rest" when they are in shows or when we eat. By the 7th day, DW is ready to be done and head to the beach for the rest of the vacation. A day off in the middle may help everyone out.

erinshaneb

Okay my dad got back to me and that is the picture..We saw it NO WHERE at all at WDW..if you have seen it as a print please let me know...thanks..I will try and contact the store and get them to send it

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom