Are They Painting the Odyssey Building?

Pongo

Original Poster
...because I don't remember a purple roof:

n1104660090_30011856_1818.jpg

n1104660090_30011855_1543.jpg

Maybe I just have a bad memory :lookaroun :lol:

SirNim

Egads! Violet, you're turning violet, Violet!

The Odyssey is currently used for Flower/Garden/Food/Wine special events. For example, see here.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
what is that place?
i know its in epcot but whta is it used for?
It used to be a very nice sit down fast food restaurant. Until the powers that be decided it wasn`t busy enough. If you ever get stuck in a queue in Innoventions for food you know why.

Did lovely breakfasts in `87!

The uppermost roof parts were indeed a light purple. Light brown, or tan, in the middle parts, and dark brown on the lowest sections (with the vertical strips)

The light purple is the original background colour of the Odyssey signage. Way back then, the uppermost parts were the light tan of todays middle section, and the middle sections were a very pale green.

Tomcat47

As I understand it now they only use the Odyssey building for special events. They also have bathrooms there and a first aide station that is open year round. Except for those the only real reason for it being there is a short cut to and from World Showcase and the Test Track areas lol.

the-reason14

I remember eating there in the summer of 92 with my fam. I actually dont remember it, but when my dad shows me the tape and, while we are there, pass by he says thats the place we sat down and ate in 1992. They had some kind of stage show there with the fab 5 doing some short show or something.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
the only real reason for it being there is a short cut to and from World Showcase and the Test Track areas lol.
- and isn`t cast catering in the back half of the building?

More daft trivia - in EPCOTS early years there was no bridge to The Odyssey from the Motion pavilion (Test Track) - main access was off the showcase walkway (under the monrail) as you can today, or from Showcase prom near Mexico (again, as today). The north-south bridge was added a few years after opening. Also, on the same topic (promise I won`t drift too far!) there were no paths from Imagination to World Showcase or the plaza - you HAD to go through Communicore.

joeg70

This was one of several Future World fast food places. My parents were not adventourous eaters so hamburgers most likely served here.

Future World had quite a selection years back:
Well and Goods in Wonders of Life
Stargate (now Electric Umbrella)
Fouintanview Bakery
Quick service italin (don't recall name but character meet and greet is there now)
Farmers maket at the land

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The bridge opened in late 1983, I was working at the Odyssey at the time so I remember it well.
Thanks, Rob. Bet you don`t have a pic? :D
I`d guess it was in part to handle the traffic flow expected from / generated by Horizons.

joeg70 - don`t forget the Sunrise terrace. Yep, both Communicores had large eating places. Plus Odyssey, Wonders of Life, The Land, and the sit down Coral Reef Restaurant. Still, management know best.

Epcot82Guy

I would really love to see this become some sort of eclectic food studio. Where an international/fusion buffet of sorts was served. Have chef hosts in a central kitchen cooking and displaying their creations (like a food show) on screens around. Eventually, it could be an actually televised show. Call it Nations with a nice water feature behind the front entrance... not that I've thought about this or anything. :zipit:

Regardless, I do wish they would reclaim the space for some regular use, but WS is more restaurant heavy than FW, and this sits on the border. At least give it a really nice facelift so it looks like a better space than it does currently.

lpet11984

I would really love to see this become some sort of eclectic food studio. Where an international/fusion buffet of sorts was served. Have chef hosts in a central kitchen cooking and displaying their creations (like a food show) on screens around. Eventually, it could be an actually televised show. Call it Nations with a nice water feature behind the front entrance... not that I've thought about this or anything. :zipit:

What a cool idea! A restaurant to bring all of world showcase and then some into one place...the view would be spectacular for Illuminations...give it a sort of modern, sleek feel (flat screen HD tvs framing the food art, clean, classic theming) bringing together futureworld and world showcase together... I love it! :sohappy:

Pongo

Original Poster
I know what I use it for.....its bathroom :lookaroun

I've used the bathrooms on the north side of the building before... alone... with no one else in there... and the strange noises...

Never again. That was the creepiest bathroom experience I've ever had. I had to resist the urge to run out :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom