Are there ANY "negatives" about Disneyworld in your mind?

I get really annoyed by the family with 2-3 kids with their faces stuffed into their Nintendos or Game Boys. They're on vacation in a wonderful place and they're missing everything!!! Not to mention that they aren't paying attention to where they're walking and they're steamrolling little kids, old ladies, trash cans, etc.!

Epicpilot

It may just be me but I feel that the price of Disney and the profits they make are good because they are always expanding, repairing, and making them selves better. If they lower prices they will just stop expanding and repairing and will turn into Six flags. Just my thoughts:cyclops:

Lee

Adventurer
The demise of Pleasure Island.
The decline of show standards and maintenance for the sake of reducing costs.

Increases in prices that are simultaneous with reductions in offerings.

The reduction of menu options and increase in prices so as to make the Disney Dining Plan look like a good choice.

The BAH.

Disco Yeti.
The current emphasis at WDW to place their capital, creatively and otherwise, into new ways of separating guests from their money, instead of on new rides, attractions, etc.....
This sums it up wonderfully. Pretty much all the other ills can be traced to this mindset, including such evil spawn as the Wal-Marting of Main Street, homogenization of menus, lowest common denominator, cheaply-made merch, and the duct-tape-and-netting approach to attraction repair.
All that is a good start...
And just from page 1.

orky8

If this is a negative... that there are so many diehards like us. It makes it impossible to do a spontaneous short notice trip. You really need to book it way out to get the deal or resort you want. Then dinner reservations...WOW...we are aggressive on the 180 day thing aren't we?! SO the problem becomes you have to book way out, get your dinner reserv's as quickly as possible. THEN there is the agonizing wait until your trip. That is a long 6 months! Imagine a world where you could book a trip to Disney a few weeks out, get your reserv's and only wait a few weeks to go. Oh if only. In conclusion Disney has too many people that love it. Damn us for loving the mouse so much.
The place you describe is called Disneyland, which is equally as loved but doesn't suffer these problems. I think you have mis-diagnosed the cause of the disease.

ToyStoryMiss

Prices, low maintenance, bad paint jobs, etc.

20$ for a stuffed animal..mental..
Same goes for t shirts, and whatever else that's overpriced.
Oh yeah, also Future World.
(except for CEO. I love me my Michael Jackson ;))

Goofyernmost

No.
There is nothing else like Adventurers Club.
Period.
Yup, it's to bad that everyone used it as a theater instead of a business that needed financial support to make it run. If people would have bought drinks and other stuff while in there, there is a good chance it might still exist. It was nothing more then a unique comedy night club. With no cover charge it was doomed to be history. If you want to blame anyone for its demise look no further then all the die hard fans that looked at is as their own personal free show and parked there for hours nursing a drink.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Im no expert but surely if they were so determined to save a unique one off location they could have tried a cover charge. But probably not after all failing businesses are always the fault of the customer.

Lee

Adventurer
If you want to blame anyone for its demise look no further then all the die hard fans that looked at is as their own personal free show and parked there for hours nursing a drink.
They get some, but certainly not all, of the blame.

A cover would have helped.

Selling merchandise would have helped.

Keeping PI gated and 18+ only would have helped.

Scrapping the idea that every location needs to turn a certain profit would have helped.

Goofyernmost

They get some, but certainly not all, of the blame.

A cover would have helped.

Selling merchandise would have helped.

Keeping PI gated and 18+ only would have helped.

Scrapping the idea that every location needs to turn a certain profit would have helped.
While I agree that if they were part of a park that you paid admission to get into, not everything needed to be the most popular thing around. It should be maintained just for balance and variety. However, I don't feel that it is realistic to classify anything in DtD, especially Pleasure Island to not be profit based. Otherwise what would be the purpose of having it. They have four theme parks and a couple of water parks as a place for people to get their jollies. I think it is unreasonable to think that there was a need for a loss leader in PI. That is especially true when you consider that the loss leader wasn't leading to any expenditure elsewhere. And when you consider that AC was they headliner in PI, it makes no sense at all. It's like saying that Cirque should be free cause it will bring people into DtD. I think that the idea of not every place turn a profit in a park is true and is being followed to some degree. Back when you had to pay to get into PI, there might have been an argument there but once it was free admission to the venue, all that changed.

I didn't mean to imply that ALL the blame was there, but it was a huge part of it and the rest of PI not cutting the mustard.

aeillill

I don't like how so many things have to be themed towards a movie or whatever, some of my favorite things when I was younger were original Disney theme park ideas, or cool just for being what they are. I didn't need my monorail to be Duck Tails themed to like it.

Movie tie-ins certainly have their place and I do like them for certain things but every single thing didn't have to be that way.

AintNoOtherMan

Nothing that hasn't been mentioned. Cost, lack of attractions in HS and AK, the bus system.
But none of these things bother me more than the fact that I'm not there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom