Are people getting used to life without Disneyland?

Californian Elitist

If it seems like I'm repeating myself, I apologize, but I have to say some things...

I had just watched a video of Fresh Baked, which stated it could be a long time before cases ever go down. On December 16, the number of cases in California was over 60,000(!), which was a record. The video wistfully recalled how there were 1,000 cases a day in March. Since December 16, cases had begun to go back down; on December 22, there were only 35,000 cases, a 40% reduction, which is less dramatic, but still a high number. The video concluded that between the drop in cases and the availability of vaccines gradually introduced, we may soon be over the hump.

Unfortunately, then I read a few snatches of an interview on "State of the Nation" from Dr. Fauci, who said that the worst is likely yet to come from the virus, as there is likely another surge later this winter, thanks to people traveling for Christmas, that will pour on ever more surges on top of those already there. That indicates that the peak of the hump is still a long way off. What's more, that also indicates the 60,000 cases on December 16 will be insignificant compared to later on.

As it is, Fauci said that 75% of the population is needed for herd immunity, that ordinary civilians will not be able to get the vaccine before April at the absolute earliest (and even then, there's no guarantee), that we will not likely be able to vaccinate everyone before late summer or early fall, and that we will not return to normalcy before 2022.

To tie this back to Disneyland, and again, I know it seems like I'm repeating myself here, but I'm not certain that any theme parks, much less Disneyland, will ever have a chance to reopen before we do have herd immunity, however long that takes. Furthermore, I'm pretty sure that cases will still be dramatically high even when civilians do get the vaccine. I also have the feeling that we can only have things open when things are "normal" (meaning nothing ever out of the ordinary happens). I would like to be mistaken, though. If not, as I also said, people had better REALLY get used to life without Disneyland.
Why do you insist on torturing yourself?

lazyboy97o

But even though we don't know what will happen, it is possible whether or not to take chances, and medical experts are telling us not to take chances.
Take chances with what? When Disneyland will reopen? When the pandemic will end? You are talking about being “better safe than sorry” and “mistaken” and now not wanting to take chances. It sounds more like you are describing your personal concern with becoming attached to a specific reopening timeframe.

mharrington

Take chances with what? When Disneyland will reopen? When the pandemic will end? You are talking about being “better safe than sorry” and “mistaken” and now not wanting to take chances. It sounds more like you are describing your personal concern with becoming attached to a specific reopening timeframe.

I am trying to figure out a reopening timeframe, but obviously, that is dependent on when cases go down, which is not the case right now.

In related news, according to The Kingdom Report, it has been revealed that the Disneyland lockdown has been extended after the original expiration date for SoCal's lockdown on December 28 was reached.

The lockdown lifting is now entirely dependent on when ICU availability (which is at 0% in SoCal right now) reaches at least 15%. Considering that California is officially the new COVID hot spot now, that's not happening for a long, long time.

You would think that the vaccines distribution would at least start to ease things, slowly but surely, wouldn't you? But there might as well be no vaccine at all.

Stevek

I am trying to figure out a reopening timeframe, but obviously, that is dependent on when cases go down, which is not the case right now.

In related news, according to The Kingdom Report, it has been revealed that the Disneyland lockdown has been extended after the original expiration date for SoCal's lockdown on December 28 was reached.

The lockdown lifting is now entirely dependent on when ICU availability (which is at 0% in SoCal right now) reaches at least 15%. Considering that California is officially the new COVID hot spot now, that's not happening for a long, long time.

You would think that the vaccines distribution would at least start to ease things, slowly but surely, wouldn't you? But there might as well be no vaccine at all.
What distribution? The vast majority of the general public, had not started receiving the vaccine yet.

You are right, opening is not happening for a long long time. Given we have yet to see the effects of Christmas gatherings, ICU availability is likely to stay at 0% for several months. Just set your expectations that DL will not open this year and be pleasantly surprised when it does.

Californian Elitist

What distribution? The vast majority of the general public, had not started receiving the vaccine yet.

You are right, opening is not happening for a long long time. Given we have yet to see the effects of Christmas gatherings, ICU availability is likely to stay at 0% for several months. Just set your expectations that DL will not open this year and be pleasantly surprised when it does.
Exactly. Not to mention the vaccine requires multiple doses.

The majority of the state and country won’t be properly vaccinated for a long time.

Stevek

Exactly. Not to mention the vaccine requires multiple doses.

The majority of the state and country won’t be properly vaccinated for a long time.
Which as we've told the poster, doesn't mean the parks won't open. At some point, they state will likely feel that enough people have been vaccinated to allow many thing, not just Disneyland, to reopen. I'm cautiously optimistic that's by mid-end of summer.

Californian Elitist

Which as we've told the poster, doesn't mean the parks won't open. At some point, they state will likely feel that enough people have been vaccinated to allow many thing, not just Disneyland, to reopen. I'm cautiously optimistic that's by mid-end of summer.
I’m thinking the same, mid-summer.

There’s no sense in worrying about the re-opening date though because it’s clearly not reopening any time soon. It’ll re-open when it re-opens.

mharrington

First of all, is that sarcasm? And second, will they not even allow the park to reopen at 20% capacity or whatever, but just wait until they can do it at full capacity?

lazyboy97o

A reopening timeframe is not something that can be figured out. It just cannot.

Vaccines have only been administered to something like just over 1% of the US population. So yeah, right now the vaccines don’t mean much.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom