Are people getting used to life without Disneyland?

mharrington

But I think the overriding point is that while there have been individual sequences of the package films that had broken out, or that people might have been expected to recognize, that is not necessarily true for the films themselves.

Then as now, far many people might have recognized Mickey and the Beanstalk, which would have indeed been seen more frequently (if only because the studio had much less material in the vault to work with), but those same people would have given you blank looks, then as now, if you mentioned Fun and Fancy Free, the film it came from. While they certainly used certain characters and sequences more prominently, I don't know that that's indicative that the film as a whole was easily identifiable to most audiences.

I was also curious and looked at the re-releases for the package features. The latest theatrical re-release of each package film was:
Saludos Amigos: 1949 (only theatrical re-release ever)
Three Caballeros: 1977 (only)
Make Mine Music: never re-released
Fun and Fancy Free: never re-released?
Melody Time: never re-released?
Ichabod & Mr. Toad: Sleepy Hollow alone in 1963

The Disney studio itself has always been pragmatic about the role of the package features, and how they were more about keeping the studio running than creating art. Hence why individual segments might pop up or be featured prominently for a time but the films they came from remained buried, obscure, and forgotten. And it's hard to fully blame them: while there are some good shorts within them, it's also hard to argue that most any of those films, as a collective work, could match the other more iconic features. Perhaps for Cabelleros or Ichabod/Toad; certainly not for the others.

So really, I think we both have a point here: the films themselves have generally remained obscure and weren't particularly beloved by anyone then or now, but there are segments that broke out and were utilized more prominently then compared to now.

The contents of "Make Mine Music" and "Melody Time", as well as "Saludos Amigos", were all released separately as shorts in the 1950s.

Disstevefan1

This post might seem rambly but I thought it'd be a nice discussion piece.

I've noticed that many people on this forum have slowly become used to just shopping at the Disneyland Resort, maybe dining when able to. I'm curious if you think that the general populace is getting used to life without Disneyland.

I know that for me personally, the prospect of reopening seems too far away for me to care about Disneyland presently. It's in the past and its future seems dim, and I have other priorities I need to take care of. Maybe Disneyland will just... fade away from the public consciousness.
Theme park fans wait for YEARS for attractions/lands to open (see Pandora).

When DLR reopens, the MOBS will come.

PiratesMansion

The contents of "Make Mine Music" and "Melody Time", as well as "Saludos Amigos", were all released separately as shorts in the 1950s.
But the point is no one then as now gave a rats about the film as a whole. Just the memorable portions of them.

You weren't any more likely to see people familiar with "All the Cats Join In" then any more likely than now, because give or take a few iconic segments, Make Mine Music, as a film, was then and remains irrelevant, even if a handful of segments were shown repeatedly at that time.

mharrington

If it seems like I'm repeating myself, I apologize, but I have to say some things...

I had just watched a video of Fresh Baked, which stated it could be a long time before cases ever go down. On December 16, the number of cases in California was over 60,000(!), which was a record. The video wistfully recalled how there were 1,000 cases a day in March. Since December 16, cases had begun to go back down; on December 22, there were only 35,000 cases, a 40% reduction, which is less dramatic, but still a high number. The video concluded that between the drop in cases and the availability of vaccines gradually introduced, we may soon be over the hump.

Unfortunately, then I read a few snatches of an interview on "State of the Nation" from Dr. Fauci, who said that the worst is likely yet to come from the virus, as there is likely another surge later this winter, thanks to people traveling for Christmas, that will pour on ever more surges on top of those already there. That indicates that the peak of the hump is still a long way off. What's more, that also indicates the 60,000 cases on December 16 will be insignificant compared to later on.

As it is, Fauci said that 75% of the population is needed for herd immunity, that ordinary civilians will not be able to get the vaccine before April at the absolute earliest (and even then, there's no guarantee), that we will not likely be able to vaccinate everyone before late summer or early fall, and that we will not return to normalcy before 2022.

To tie this back to Disneyland, and again, I know it seems like I'm repeating myself here, but I'm not certain that any theme parks, much less Disneyland, will ever have a chance to reopen before we do have herd immunity, however long that takes. Furthermore, I'm pretty sure that cases will still be dramatically high even when civilians do get the vaccine. I also have the feeling that we can only have things open when things are "normal" (meaning nothing ever out of the ordinary happens). I would like to be mistaken, though. If not, as I also said, people had better REALLY get used to life without Disneyland.

mharrington

Why do you keep insisting Disneyland wont reopen?

In this case, I was speculating that it may not reopen until at least 2022 or until we achieve herd immunity, whichever comes first. But either way, I'm sure it will likely remain closed. I'm sure that cases will still be dramatically high in March, especially since the media hinted at the possibility of a two-month surge, which means that two months from now will be pretty much the end of February. And even incoming president Biden hinted at a dark winter to come. Again, and I don't like to say this often, but I wish I was mistaken in this regard.

el_super

Again, and I don't like to say this often, but I wish I was mistaken in this regard.

I suppose that sounds about right. Even if vaccines start rolling out in March, it may still be a couple months before Disneyland is ready to reopen. Maybe for Memorial Day 2021.

mharrington

I suppose that sounds about right. Even if vaccines start rolling out in March, it may still be a couple months before Disneyland is ready to reopen. Maybe for Memorial Day 2021.

Unfortunately, even Memorial Day sounds too optimistic. My argument in this case was that it wouldn't reopen until not only does everyone have access to the vaccine, but that everyone actually has taken it. And that will not happen until late summer or early fall.

Biden can insist that everyone wear masks, which may help things, but there's no guarantee that everyone will listen to him, especially if they didn't vote for him.

drizgirl

My argument in this case was that it wouldn't reopen until not only does everyone have access to the vaccine, but that everyone actually has taken it.
I don't think so. I'd put good money on that. Disney isn't going to hang around waiting for people on the fence to decide they'll take a vaccine that's readily available.

And as low an opinion as I have of Gavin Newsome, I don't think even he will insist business stay closed past the point of universal availability.

mharrington

I don't think so. I'd put good money on that. Disney isn't going to hang around waiting for people on the fence to decide they'll take a vaccine that's readily available.

And as low an opinion as I have of Gavin Newsome, I don't think even he will insist business stay closed past the point of universal availability.

I wouldn't put anything past Newsom (or Disney, for that matter) at this point.

lazyboy97o

Unfortunately, even Memorial Day sounds too optimistic. My argument in this case was that it wouldn't reopen until not only does everyone have access to the vaccine, but that everyone actually has taken it. And that will not happen until late summer or early fall.

Biden can insist that everyone wear masks, which may help things, but there's no guarantee that everyone will listen to him, especially if they didn't vote for him.
You’re still just creating scenarios to confirm your fears. General availability means it is much more of a personal choice. There is also the possibility of businesses requiring vaccination for people to gain access. But more importantly, we don’t really know and you’re just driving yourself crazy trying to divine the future because you’ve latched onto this idea of Disneyland closing.

Last edited:

Stevek

In this case, I was speculating that it may not reopen until at least 2022 or until we achieve herd immunity, whichever comes first. But either way, I'm sure it will likely remain closed. I'm sure that cases will still be dramatically high in March, especially since the media hinted at the possibility of a two-month surge, which means that two months from now will be pretty much the end of February. And even incoming president Biden hinted at a dark winter to come. Again, and I don't like to say this often, but I wish I was mistaken in this regard.
I think you just need to resign yourself to the fact that it will never, ever open and be surprised when it does. The rest of us stay grounded in reality.

And yes, you do continue to bring this up over and over again and no matter what answer anyone gives you, you come back with the same conclusion. I just don't understand the need to continue to post these same concerns. Are you waiting for someone to tell you it will never open?

Stevek

He won't. At some point when the vaccine is in wide enough distribution, he will allow things to reopen. It may be gradual but I have all the confidence in the world that the parks will be open at full or near full capacity by end of summer 2021.

mharrington

You’re still just creating scenarios to confirm your fears. General availability means it is much more of a personal choice. There is also the possibility of businesses requiring vaccination for people to gain access. But more importantly, we don’t really know and you’re just driving yourself crazy trying to divine the future because you’ve latched into this idea of Disneyland closing.

Maybe it is crazy, I'll grant that, but I'm just trying to figure things out. Better safe than sorry. If it turns out that cases do go down sooner than later, then that's great. It means that I was mistaken. I don't usually like being mistaken, but in this case, I'm making an exception. On the other hand, however, I was also excited when I heard rumors of a possible reopening in July and was quite upset when (through no fault of Disney's, granted) it never came.

As for people requiring vaccination, not everyone may like that idea, either, and rebel against it. I don't know. I just know that there are people out there who don't like being told what to do.

I think you just need to resign yourself to the fact that it will never, ever open and be surprised when it does. The rest of us stay grounded in reality.

And yes, you do continue to bring this up over and over again and no matter what answer anyone gives you, you come back with the same conclusion. I just don't understand the need to continue to post these same concerns. Are you waiting for someone to tell you it will never open?

On the contrary, I'm waiting for news of when it will reopen. If it seems like I am repeating myself, then I apologize, but that's how much I love it.

Stevek

Maybe it is crazy, I'll grant that, but I'm just trying to figure things out. Better safe than sorry. If it turns out that cases do go down sooner than later, then that's great. It means that I was mistaken. I don't usually like being mistaken, but in this case, I'm making an exception. On the other hand, however, I was also excited when I heard rumors of a possible reopening in July and was quite upset when (through no fault of Disney's, granted) it never came.

As for people requiring vaccination, not everyone may like that idea, either, and rebel against it. I don't know. I just know that there are people out there who don't like being told what to do.

On the contrary, I'm waiting for news of when it will reopen. If it seems like I am repeating myself, then I apologize, but that's how much I love it.
This isn't about love...many of us love it. This is about your own fears, which literally everyone here has told you are unfounded. Yet you continue to ignore everything we are telling you.

drizgirl

He won't. At some point when the vaccine is in wide enough distribution, he will allow things to reopen. It may be gradual but I have all the confidence in the world that the parks will be open at full or near full capacity by end of summer 2021.
Same here. I'll take anybody's money wanting to bet on 2022.

lazyboy97o

Figuring out the future is a fools errand. You can’t. That should be the lesson from this year, that we don’t know what can happen. Unless you are the world’s best epidemiologist you’re not going to get it right and even if you are you’d still probably get it wrong.

People don’t like lots of rules but if they don’t follow them then they can be denied access. There are people who don’t like Walt Disney World’s mask policy and those people don’t get to go to Walt Disney World right now.

drizgirl

Better safe than sorry.
You can "better safe than sorry" a lot of business into extinction.

You won't ever have 100% safety. Not now, not before Covid, not after Covid. The trick is finding the right balance between safety and economic survival. I don't know what the right balance is. It's not throwing safety to the wind, but it's also not waiting until things are considered 100% safe.

The best news is that nobody will make you leave your home until you are ready to do so.

mharrington

Figuring out the future is a fools errand. You can’t. That should be the lesson from this year, that we don’t know what can happen. Unless you are the world’s best epidemiologist you’re not going to get it right and even if you are you’d still probably get it wrong.

But even though we don't know what will happen, it is possible whether or not to take chances, and medical experts are telling us not to take chances.

People don’t like lots of rules but if they don’t follow them then they can be denied access. There are people who don’t like Walt Disney World’s mask policy and those people don’t get to go to Walt Disney World right now.

I guess they're in no hurry to return to WDW then.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom