Are people getting used to life without Disneyland?

VJ

Original Poster
This post might seem rambly but I thought it'd be a nice discussion piece.

I've noticed that many people on this forum have slowly become used to just shopping at the Disneyland Resort, maybe dining when able to. I'm curious if you think that the general populace is getting used to life without Disneyland.

I know that for me personally, the prospect of reopening seems too far away for me to care about Disneyland presently. It's in the past and its future seems dim, and I have other priorities I need to take care of. Maybe Disneyland will just... fade away from the public consciousness.

Schneewittchen

It depends on the family I guess. We're on the east coast. Usually go to WDW, but really love DL.

Just this weekend, I promised the kids, as soon as covid is "over", we're flying to Anaheim, getting a room at the Candy Cane Inn (if they reopen) and spending a long weekend enjoying the original. Maybe July? Perhaps November 2021? Or February 2022?

Homemade Imagineering

Yeah, for me it’s harder to remember what it was like to be at Disneyland. It’s certainly strange and quite depressing to think about, but once everything clears up again it’ll feel like nothing ever changed. At least that’s how I feel. I’ve been down lately thinking about the future of the park, and all kinds of different scenarios of what may happen to certain attractions, or general changes to the park. I feel that we are entering a grim era of the parks, dare I say another Pressler era... I don’t think certain attractions (more specifically the subs) will open with the park, or may never open again for a long time, and budget cuts will ensue, which is certainly a bad show.

Darkbeer1

This post might seem rambly but I thought it'd be a nice discussion piece.

I've noticed that many people on this forum have slowly become used to just shopping at the Disneyland Resort, maybe dining when able to. I'm curious if you think that the general populace is getting used to life without Disneyland.

I know that for me personally, the prospect of reopening seems too far away for me to care about Disneyland presently. It's in the past and its future seems dim, and I have other priorities I need to take care of. Maybe Disneyland will just... fade away from the public consciousness.
I truly hope not.

Disneyland is a very important part of the City of Anaheim, along with the Convention Center, and events at Angel Stadium and the Honda Center.

Yesterday, the city did a mid-year budget, and without the tax revenues, this city will be cutting back on services by quite a lot.

We need the resort area to reopen safely.

But we did forecast that things will start to turn around in 2021.

Now, will it return with as large of a fan base as on January 1st, 2020. No, but Disney, like most other things, gains and loses individual fans on a regular basis. But with Disney+ and the wide broadcasting assets of ABC, ESPN, local channels and other outlets, Disney will be adverting Disneyland a lot once it is allowed to reopen.

The State Legislators also know the need for tax revenues, and if other states reopen its tourism businesses, California will have to look at Tourism in the light of tax revenue and jobs created/returned when they can operate.

California can try and create a bubble, but LAX and SFO will operate and bring tourists into the USA.

Things will start to get back to normal, and based on what is happening at SoCal Theme Parks, and the current crowds for things like Knott's, SeaWorld, LEGOLAND and Magic Mountain, you can see the fan base does miss their parks, and will be there in 2021.

D.Silentu

At first blush this question sounds to me like it's mainly aimed at passholders. I am not one, but the topic is timely as I tend to visit Disneyland around Christmas time. Last year's Candlelight Processional was one of the high points of the season for me. I did also manage to visit back in February to experience Rise Of The Resistance. So, I haven't really felt like I've been missing anything until recently. I'm disappointed that I can't visit this month, but that loss is just another addition the list of experiences that are unavailable this year. I try to think of how much more fun it will be when I can visit again and it seems like it will be a great way to celebrate the end of this dismal time. In the meantime, soundtracks from the park are serving as a useful remedy.

Californian Elitist

I got used to not going way before COVID-19 hit. I let me AP lapse last March and didn’t miss it at all for the rest of the year. Went once in the beginning of this year and had a good time but wasn’t aching to go back.

Disneyland will absolutely not fade into oblivion, for obvious reasons.

Rich T

First: Reality Check—

IT’S ONLY BEEN 10 MONTHS. MOST THEME PARKS CLOSE FOR FALL AND WINTER EVERY YEAR.

I mean, I know I’m one of the oldest guys here, but come ON. Do sports fans forget their favorite teams in the off-season?

Personally, I’ve been used to life without Disneyland ever since Pixar Pier was announced. Disneyland, under mismanagement, has become a dumb-downed, blanderized, obnoxious, hypocritical, waaaay overpriced pale reflection of what it once was.

But it’s still got much of its original greatness intact, much of it just buried under layers of stupid. Someday, under less greedy leadership, maybe it will become great and affordable for all again.

But it’s not fading away from public consciousness. If, however, downtime has made some people realize that, yeah, they don’t NEED to pay Disney’s ridiculous prices when life has so much more to offer, and Disney’s forced to stop being freaking King Midas, well that’s good for everyone.

Rich T

Local amusement parks close for the winter. And who wants to go in the winter when it's cold and snowing anyway? Disney has never been closed more than a matter of days.
I’m not saying it’s normal for Disneyland. But, around the globe fans say “Bye for now” to their home parks in September and look forward to the big Spring Reopening Day. Even as close as N. Calif. the four big parks are closed for far more days than they’re actually open.

Californian Elitist

But it’s not fading away from public consciousness. If, however, downtime has made some people realize that, yeah, they don’t NEED to pay Disney’s ridiculous prices when life has so much more to offer, and Disney’s forced to stop being freaking King Midas, well that’s good for everyone.

Amen. I would surely hope people have gotten used to no Disneyland.

Hopefully the avid Disneyland goers have found new places that entertain them.

Stevek

After 300+ visits, I decided to take time off and we haven't had AP's for 3 or 4 years now so I was already used to life without it other than 1 trip a year. What I am not used to is life without Trader Sam's ;). I plan on spending plenty of time and money making up for lost time when it reopens. Disneyland will not fade into oblivion...people will flock to it in droves when it reopens. This time next year many people will be complaining about the crowds, how Avengers campus was a waste of money and how they still hate Galaxy's edge.

Stevek

I've said this for a long time...people are really missing out on what else life has to offer. Disneyland is a great diversion or piece of entertainment/fun that we can all take part in. Unfortunately, as our AP population shows, it has become a lifestyle or the only thing people focus on, spending as much time there as possible. At the end of the day, I guess ya gotta do whatever makes you happy but I do feel sad for folks that are missing out on all the other great things this great country has to offer.

Rich T

I've said this for a long time...people are really missing out on what else life has to offer. Disneyland is a great diversion or piece of entertainment/fun that we can all take part in. Unfortunately, as our AP population shows, it has become a lifestyle or the only thing people focus on, spending as much time there as possible. At the end of the day, I guess ya gotta do whatever makes you happy but I do feel sad for folks that are missing out on all the other great things this great country has to offer.
Yes. Disneyland was meant to affordably entertain people for a day or two in a clean, safe, optimistic environment, and inspire guests to go back out into the real world to create, to think, to appreciate history and to help make the world a better place.

It was never intended to be a replacement for reality that adults flee into again and again and again as a lifestyle.

Californian Elitist

Agreed. I remember seeing some of the same guests every week when I worked at the park. I couldn’t help but wonder if going to Disneyland was their only hobby. It reminds me of the regular guests who were out protesting, screaming for Disneyland to open a few months back.

There are way too many other things to see. If anything, this pandemic has made me want to travel even more than I already do (had to cancel plans to return to the UK and Italy this summer). I need new suitcases (just bought a new carry-on) and have been shopping around online, despite knowing that I won’t be going anywhere soon. Since the pandemic, I’ve had a strong interest in seeing Alaska. Other states like Wyoming, Montana, and Hawaii are also at the top of my list.

mickEblu

Clearly I haven’t gotten used to it as I’ve been to DTD 4 times (one where you can’t even sip water on property) with the parks being closed. I do kind of add other stuff to do in the OC and make it a day trip but still it’s usually the catalyst for my hour + drive out to the area. With that said, I also walked into a Disney park for the first time last week since March and felt absolutely nothing. I must have a merch addiction. But it’s not my fault they are finally coming out with cool attraction merch. This IASW ornament I picked up last week is legit.

E0972FE0-58C5-465D-921A-7CBD3F0DBF2A.jpeg

94354CA1-E3C7-47BA-B8FE-3C26B3F4B8F8.jpeg

With this my first shelf of the glass cabinet is completed. IASW ornament and Disney 60th anni 55 to 64 decade mug not pictured

273F087C-3DD4-4DA0-BB97-7B7B2532EF4C.jpeg

mickEblu

Like what? Everything is closed and /or not worth the effort or not feasible with a toddler and a baby. It’s kind of hitting me hard as my main sources of entertainment were Disneyland and going out to eat. Oddly enough, I let my pass expire on March 4th and wasn’t planning on renewing until March 21. Something tells me I would have buckled a few months ago, new baby and all.

mickEblu

I've said this for a long time...people are really missing out on what else life has to offer. Disneyland is a great diversion or piece of entertainment/fun that we can all take part in. Unfortunately, as our AP population shows, it has become a lifestyle or the only thing peozple focus on, spending as much time there as possible. At the end of the day, I guess ya gotta do whatever makes you happy but I do feel sad for folks that are missing out on all the other great things this great country has to offer.

Good point. Although not everyone is in the right demo to have tons of options. Maybe I’m not creative enough. Or maybe my options are just limited as someone with a 5 year old and a baby.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom