Are Disney execs looking at the success of cars land to create future projects on that scale?

wedenterprises

The size of the Cars Land project has everything to do with Merch and $$. If a movie comes out again that makes that much coin off toys, you'll probably see something similar built.

Why a Star Wars land hasn't been built yet, I'll never know.

JWG

The size of the Cars Land project has everything to do with Merch and $$. If a movie comes out again that makes that much coin off toys, you'll probably see something similar built.

Why a Star Wars land hasn't been built yet, I'll never know.

To that, why Toy Story wouldn't be incorporated into a land yet is also then beyond me.

c-one

honestly, I don't think that tomorrowland represented the Jules Verne vision at all.....it was a loooooong way from the way Paris was done
That's a fair argument -- but given current TDO trends, a steampunk Tomorrowland would be closer to that than Paris I'm afraid! But I do honestly think that the "Blade Runner" super-sci-fi Tomorrowland could work well with a better set of attractions.

wdwmomof3

I hope that the do more expansions like Cars Land. Heck, I have never wanted to go to DL until now and now we are looking at going in a couple of years. I really wish they would expand DHS with something like this . They really need so much, and this would be a mighty nice start.

flynnibus

Premium Member
It honestly shocks me that claimed Disney fans for some reason, have no desire to see the original Disney park. I don't understand. Can anyone explain?

Perceptions like
- it's just the parks, not a resort. No extra-activities around the parks like the water parks or recreation
- 'its the same stuff, just smaller'
- 'its not an escape vacation like WDW...'
- 'they only have 2 parks instead of 4+'

etc

Reality is most WDW-only people wouldn't have a clue that DL has attractions like Indy - nor know that Space Mountain is so different.

The finer details are not know to the mass audience. Disney doesn't advertise DL to them. And the vast majority don't care about 'this is the park WALT built and walked through...' stuff.

Californian Elitist

Perceptions like
- it's just the parks, not a resort. No extra-activities around the parks like the water parks or recreation

etc

Reality is most WDW-only people wouldn't have a clue that DL has attractions like Indy - nor know that Space Mountain is so different.

The finer details are not know to the mass audience. Disney doesn't advertise DL to them. And the vast majority don't care about 'this is the park WALT built and walked through...' stuff.

Ah, ok. Got it.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Perceptions like

etc

you missed:

The original Mr. Toad
Pinocchio
Roger Rabbit's CarToon Spin, plus a REAL Toontown
a MUCH better Pirates ride with the Blue Bayou restaurant
an improved Buzz Lightyear attraction

...plus DCA's new expansion, I think people who haven't been to California really should make the journey.

flynnibus

Premium Member
you missed:

The original Mr. Toad
Pinocchio
Roger Rabbit's CarToon Spin, plus a REAL Toontown
a MUCH better Pirates ride with the Blue Bayou restaurant
an improved Buzz Lightyear attraction

...plus DCA's new expansion, I think people who haven't been to California really should make the journey.

I know the differences.. just commenting on common perceptions of those that don't think DL is worth a 'separate' Disney vacation. The reasoning is mainly ignorance of what DL offers and why it's different- and Disney does nothing to combat that notion. They are happy to keep WDW the 'destination vacation' for the miss. river and east.

The two are certainly different styles of vacation - and even with all the information, too many are sucked into 'Disney.. that's all I need to know' and happy to take WDW even if DL offered them certain things that would be attractive to them. They just don't look deep enough.

midwest_mice

Perceptions like

etc

And let's not forget a few more things:
Alice in Wonderland dark ride-Classic. Plus they have the Finding Nemo submarine voyage, something that won't find its way to Magic Kingdom. And of course the Matterhorn.
I have been to Disneyland once and WDW about a dozen times. Disneyland is a place that every WDW fan needs to visit at least once. Most of the rides are laid out differently: Splash Mnt is one rider per row, Space Mnt is only one track, etc.
Plan on heading back late next year after the Cars Land rush of the first year or so wears down a bit.

hauntdmansion79

I just watched a ride-through video of Radiator Springs Racers and I have to say WOW! That is an AMAZING uncontested E-ticket attraction! And I'm not even a huge fan of the Cars movies. It's huge, detailed, has a thrill element to it, a top notch dark ride, state of the art animatronics, perfect set design, great lighting.......I was absolutely blown away and impressed. It goes to show that Disney still really knows how to build an immersive magical attraction if they want to. Man how I wish that would come to Walt Disney World! It would be one of my must-sees definitely! I know that it is a lot like Test Track, but after seeing it, I'd rather have Radiator Springs Racers in the Backlot area of Hollywood Studios and put something new where Test Track is. That's just my opinion and I'm sure it does not match everyone elses. I just wanted to jump on here and say how nice that attraction looks!

WDW1974

I can understand why you said that. I've travelled some, and there is no doubt that you see everything in a different light, after you've been exposed to new poeple and places.

It does seem that, on these boards, the people who are most discouraged are those who have been going to WDW for many years and no longer see the quaity that they remember. I did not get their in the 70's or 80's, so I am in no position to judge that. In my case, some of the 'issues' I read about on here are concerns I too have, while others I believe to be trivial and don't bother me in the least. What's interesting to me is which things bother me and which don't. It's not as simple as the 'size' of the issue. For example, the stationary ceiling mounted 'trolley' in the Confectionary Store, bothers me more than the Yeti not working. I feel that the former a simple, kinetic element that could be kept moving for practically no money. 'Little' things like that not working perplex me.

I certainly agree with that ... oh, and the conveyor belt of candy being inop for years certainly is an example of something relatively small that bothers me. It should have been fixed the day it broke. It would have in the 70s or 80s ... it would if it happened at say TDL today.

I wanted to comment, and ask you a few questions about your statement, "WDW is no longer what it once was...".

Sure.

That statement, of course, suggests that WDW has changed, and it is the change that I'd like to address. I believe that, while we can debate the need for change, when it does occur, it can be good, bad or indifferent in peoples' eyes. To illustrate, the change from The Living Seas circa mid 90's to The Seas with Nemo and Friends made the attraction less appealing to me (although I understand the rationale of doing something to try to get people back into that pavillion). I still visit and enjoy it once per trip, but I liked it better in it's previous incarnation. The Haunted Mansion refurb a few years back, on the other hard, made the attraction even more appealing imho. And some changes, like Living with the Land with its switch to pre recorded audio, makes no difference to me.

I would agree with your sentiments from the examples above. Seas went from bold to cartoonish (and much of the pavilion's infrastructure was still left to rot) while Mansion was plussed in show quality elements and making everything old look new again. LWTL is still fine to me, although I liked it more with CMs because they could update their spiels to go with current crops and aso answer questions etc. But removing them didn't destroy the ride.

Here are the things I'd like to ask you...

1. Are there any changes at all within the parks, to attractions, restaurants or shops, that you believe improved them from their original state?

Yes. Absolutely. Many. From recent changes like Star Tours and Mansion (as stated above) and HoP to older improvements like ToT's random drop sequence or California Grill replacing Top of the World (at least before the DDP began ruining it) ... and I love the new tequila bar in Mexico too. Shops ... um ... not really, they have dumbed merchandise to Walmart levels and while some place still have decent variety of non-Disney character crap like DAK and WS that isn't an improvement because they've always been so. There certainly are other examples, but I'm way too tired (was headed offline an hour plus ago and still here) to think of them now.

2. Do you believe that some changes to, or perhaps replacement of, attractions are necessary because those attractions have become stale or get no traffic? (As beloved as Horizons and World of Motion were, could these attractions have remained and attracted new fans-not just we nostalgic old fogies-while other theme parks add new attractions? In other words, regardless of your enjoyment or lack thereof of M:S and TT, do you think the change to newer attractions was, and continues to be, necessary?)

Cheers :)

I always think you need fresh, relevant product in the parks. However, look how the best most popular attractions are pretty timeless ... people love Peter pan's Flight, which is a 1971 version of a 1955 DL original and not been plussed hardly at all ... people love Mansion and PoC and they're from the late 60s ... Small World too. I think some attractions are timeless with little updating needed. Others can be with some changes. And others simply have a 'use by' date. ...Since you are talking about EPCOT above, I'll state that removing Imagination was akin to removing Small World of Pan from MK. Huge mistake. Timeless attraction that needed a very little work. They destroyed it. Spent $57 million on two lesser versions that are less popular today than Imagination was in the mid-90s right before it closed. Horizons was more iffy, and would have required more of an update, especially the ending, which was always cheesy. But it also unified the whole of Future World. Taking it out was like a dagger to the heart. FW no longer has a cohesive story to tell. And marketing the place as 'Disney's Discovery Park' kinda tells you that. So, no I would never have taken that out ... and certainly not for a $200 million plus centrifuge that tends to make a lot of people sick and is basically a fancy simulator. Terrible use of resources. If you are going to replace something significant, then you have to improve upon what was there. I'll always love WoM more than TT, but I understand the desire to change it. EC had too many long, immersive, slow AA-filled rides. The problem was they basically took all of them out except for SSE (and they had a thrill ride planned for that too, unfortunately, the structure couldn't be retrofitted and they had no choice). FW is a very sore spot with me because they absolutely destroyed its meaning by throwing anything and everything in with no regard to the whole place. And it shows.

No one wants (well, some fanbois do, but they are a little ill) the parks to be museums, but you don't change for change's sake and you don't change unless what you have is better than what was there before. Disney has consistently gotten this wrong since the late 90s.

Hope that helped!

flavious27

Why Africa or S America? Why not Hawaii, The desert SW of the US, Alaska, the badlands, the Great Lakes, the great cities along the east coast? Sure I would love to see other parts of the world, but not before i explore all 50 of our great US!!! We choose to spend time in WDW because we can. We also choose other areas as well. As i said before, we are very fortunate to have these opportunities, but my goodness, is it really anyone else's business how much time I care to spend in WDW? And did I ask for suggestions as to where else i should go? By the way, Arizona and SoCal were spectacular a few weeks back! We enjoy coming here to WDW. It seems so many other negative nancys on here should be looking to go elsewhere. If you dont like WDW and the pace at which they update attractions, dont go.

Hawaii, well we have poly. Check.
Desert SW & Badlands, visit coronado springs. Check.
Alaska, Blizard Beach. Check.
The great lakes, you got fw and wl. Check.
East coast cities, we are escaping there for this vacation.

WDW1974

Listen to the soundtrack from horizons... Just the music. And tell me that isn't more inspirational and moving than any music they've added to future world since 1994

The sound in that attraction alone puts everything but soarin to shame

That's what kills people.. When the change can't even top what they replaced.

I've posted this before, but I had the privilege of attending a special memorial concert at USC in Buddy Baker's memory with many Disney greats there years ago. And a major topic was how Disney was INTENTIONALLY destroying the soundtrack of EPCOT. So much great music went into that place and so little remains. ... I used to literally get chills walking into EPCOT Center in the 1980s and hearing the uplifting BGM suite playing. Sorry, fanbois, but hearing some Imagination Institute theme and Soarin music (which always makes me feel like I should be in Anaheim and not sweating) and whatever else they play (it really is sooo short and forgettable that I can't even tell you what else is in it ... anyone know?) doesn't come close to setting you up for the grandeur and awe-inspiring place that EC was in the 80s and into the 90s. ... It does set you up for a visit to 'Disney's Discovery Park' where you can buy a Mexican flag Mickey antenna topper (btw, as someone who drives a luxury auto, who has antennas anymore?)

WDW1974

Ya know, I know I wrote it and all ... but post 153 is really a kickarse post. Too bad you can't like yourself here ... I know, I suffer from low self-esteem ... Frank has been saying so for years while pitching a te ... nevermind.

WDW1974

Well you can but eventually you go blind.

Hands above the sheets boy!

I want to ... to respond here so badly that it is hurting me not to. I feel the deep need for a release yet all I can think about is what will happen if Mom finds out? Will she make me wash my sheets? Will she spank me (fanbois love this)?

So, even though I can think of quite a few long, hard, pithy (and witty) retorts, I think I'm gonna reflect on the matter and stay quiet.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom