Are Disney execs looking at the success of cars land to create future projects on that scale?

coachwnh

In the Parks
Yes
Hawaii, well we have poly. Check.
Desert SW & Badlands, visit coronado springs. Check.
Alaska, Blizard Beach. Check.
The great lakes, you got fw and wl. Check.
East coast cities, we are escaping there for this vacation.
I love those places but please, not even close.

ParentsOf4

It honestly shocks me that claimed Disney fans for some reason, have no desire to see the original Disney park. I don't understand. Can anyone explain?
First, to start off being defensive, I have been to DL a couple of times.;)

Second, possible reasons why a Disney fan might not have a strong desire to see DL:
  • Much farther away, more expensive to travel to?
  • Rarely advertised on national TV? (I don't think I've ever seen a DL commercial and I've lived as an adult in 4 states, all east of the Mississippi.)
  • Much smaller than WDW? (Certainly true but I'm avoiding the "quality" issue which (IMHO) is what a Disney purist would appreciate the most about DL.)
  • Perception that DL doesn't offer enough different attractions to make it worth the extra effort/cost?
I'll readily admit that the first of the above reasons is what keeps me from going to DL again. I can drive to WDW in a few hours or spend a couple of thousand dollars to fly my family of six to CA. I'd gladly go if I could do so cheaply.

bubbles1812

Hawaii, well we have poly. Check.
Desert SW & Badlands, visit coronado springs. Check.
Alaska, Blizard Beach. Check.
The great lakes, you got fw and wl. Check.
East coast cities, we are escaping there for this vacation.

Oh god, please tell me you weren't serious with this post...

The places at WDW are fun but no way do they even remotely come close to the real places. Poly is even my favorite resort and in reality it isn't even remotely like visiting the real Hawaii. Snorkeling at Typhoon Lagoon doesn't exactly equivalate to snorkeling in a real bay where you see sea turtles, eels, and gorgeous fish, not to mention an actual wild shark passing you by. Or hiking to the top of a dormant volcano and seeing for miles and miles. Or being able to actually talk to descendants of native Hawaiians at their cultural center and watch their real dances/chants/songs rather than the watered down stuff of the luau.

If you actually think blizzard beach is in any way tied to Alaska...just wow, sorry, but then you don't know much about Alaska. I'd call Blizzard Beach the equivalent of a the bunny hills on the fake ski slopes they create in my state (Iowa...which is as flat as flat can be. Well, unless you visit Nebraska... ;) ) in terms of comparing BB to Alaska.

And FW and WL equal to the Great Lakes? Have you actually ever been to the great lakes? Lake Superior and Lake Michigan are gorgeous and there are so many unique places. Look up the Painted Rocks National Lakeshore. Or Sault Ste Marie, Michigan. Hey, there you can even learn about the actual history of our country will still seeing beautiful landscapes. I spent many a summer at my grandmother's on LM's shore and in no way do fw and wl come close.

And you are likening Coronado to the actual SW and Badlands? Yeah, because Coronado so reflects the majesty of the Grand Canyon and so much of the real desert... And I would guess you've never actually been to the Badlands. Miles of grassy plain and steep rock that looks almost like it's been painted as the wind has eroded it away to reveal the different sediment layers. Where you can see the prairie dogs and jack rabbits and very endangered black footed ferret for real.

If you were making a joking post, I apologize. But if you weren't...you need to go visit some places before you make any comparison to what Disney has artificially made. The places are fun and silly and you can obviously have a good time at them but if you actually think they come close to the actual places...well, that's just sad

the.dreamfinder

Flavious27, WL is themed to the Pacific Northwest and no it's nothing like it. It's just a really detailed facade. Totally agree with you Bubbles, if people only go to places other than WDW...

WDW1974

Flavious27, WL is themed to the Pacific Northwest and no it's nothing like it. It's just a really detailed facade. Totally agree with you Bubbles, if people only go to places other than WDW...

Actually, the WL is themed after many famous lodges of the American west ... more SW and California, most notably the Ahwahnee Lodge in Yosemite (have dined there, never stayed, but it is like being in heaven).

ChrisM

Actually, the WL is themed after many famous lodges of the American west ... more SW and California, most notably the Ahwahnee Lodge in Yosemite (have dined there, never stayed, but it is like being in heaven).

I've stayed (and dined) there. It is exceptional.

El Tovar at the Grand Canyon is a shack in comparison.

Kuhio

Dining at the Ahwahnee was wonderful. Repairing to the Ahwahnee Bar afterward for a nice, 12-year-old scotch (or two)? Even better. Best of all -- having the entire tab picked up by someone else!

(Somewhat less heavenly -- retreating to a Curry Village "tent cabin" to sleep.)

As much as I love the Wilderness Lodge, nothing compares to waking up in the fresh morning air to the sight of actual mountains in the background...

RSoxNo1

Getting back to the Carsland discussion, something mentioned on the MiceChat.com podcast (I believe it was Al that said it, but I apologize if I'm wrong) was regarding how ineffecient Luigi's Flying Tires is. The concept that he suggested was one that I absolutely love. Use the trackless ride system for seemingly random patterns that the tires can "float" through. It would be similar to Aquatopia in Tokyo, still function as the Flying Tires attraction but wouldn't rely on the guest's mastery of the system for it to work.

The other benefit is that they could essentially make the ride a continuous loader, where vehicles would just be following their "track" back to the entrance for load/unload. It would essentially operate like a dark ride but the vehicles would all be in the large open space that currently exists.

If Carsland finds it's way East, I would hope that something like this would replace the current version of Luigi's.

flavious27

Oh god, please tell me you weren't serious with this post...

The places at WDW are fun but no way do they even remotely come close to the real places. Poly is even my favorite resort and in reality it isn't even remotely like visiting the real Hawaii. Snorkeling at Typhoon Lagoon doesn't exactly equivalate to snorkeling in a real bay where you see sea turtles, eels, and gorgeous fish, not to mention an actual wild shark passing you by. Or hiking to the top of a dormant volcano and seeing for miles and miles. Or being able to actually talk to descendants of native Hawaiians at their cultural center and watch their real dances/chants/songs rather than the watered down stuff of the luau.

If you actually think blizzard beach is in any way tied to Alaska...just wow, sorry, but then you don't know much about Alaska. I'd call Blizzard Beach the equivalent of a the bunny hills on the fake ski slopes they create in my state (Iowa...which is as flat as flat can be. Well, unless you visit Nebraska... ;) ) in terms of comparing BB to Alaska.

And FW and WL equal to the Great Lakes? Have you actually ever been to the great lakes? Lake Superior and Lake Michigan are gorgeous and there are so many unique places. Look up the Painted Rocks National Lakeshore. Or Sault Ste Marie, Michigan. Hey, there you can even learn about the actual history of our country will still seeing beautiful landscapes. I spent many a summer at my grandmother's on LM's shore and in no way do fw and wl come close.

And you are likening Coronado to the actual SW and Badlands? Yeah, because Coronado so reflects the majesty of the Grand Canyon and so much of the real desert... And I would guess you've never actually been to the Badlands. Miles of grassy plain and steep rock that looks almost like it's been painted as the wind has eroded it away to reveal the different sediment layers. Where you can see the prairie dogs and jack rabbits and very endangered black footed ferret for real.

If you were making a joking post, I apologize. But if you weren't...you need to go visit some places before you make any comparison to what Disney has artificially made. The places are fun and silly and you can obviously have a good time at them but if you actually think they come close to the actual places...well, that's just sad

My name isn't jt04, it was a trolling post.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom