Apple Store at Downtown Disney?

WDWFREAK53

I don't even think they would buy iPhones. Not only are they expensive, but are people really going to sit there going through a phone activation while their family is running around? .

Um, you do realize that an iPhone activation literally takes no more than 5 minutes at any Apple Store. (If that!)

samshem

Perhaps everyone is looking at this from a different angle than Apple is. Everyone is assuming it will never work because what tourist in their right mind would buy a laptop/desktop/whatever from an Apple store while on vacation, right?

I would look at this as more of a product showcase then a store, and if they sell a few items to help cover the cost of rent, all the better. Think about how many companies at Disney already pay a lot of money when an attraction is "sponsored" by them. And, with the exception of maybe McDonald's, you can't even purchase a product from the sponsoring company.

I would think that if this actually happens, it is being done with the intentions of exposure rather than profit (at least profit at this location). And, before discounting it as a possibility, consider that Apple has opened stores in tourist areas before. http://www.apple.com/retail/alamoana/

Pete C

Um, you do realize that an iPhone activation literally takes no more than 5 minutes at any Apple Store. (If that!)

Yes, if you already know exactly what you want, which rate plan, data plan, text messaging plan, family plan, etc. I have a iPhone, and yes I did it at and Apple store and it did not take long. I am also extremely tech savvy and was already on AT&T so there were no questions. A lot of people will go in there with no idea and will have to talk to the rep about all of these things. It's not a 5 minute process for the average person I can guarantee that. I just don't see it as an impulse buy while on vacation.

Edit: I forgot the iPhone only has 1 data plan. I guess it is not all that complicated! Regardless, I think families on vacation would see this as a hassle that they would rather do another time.

Pete C

Perhaps everyone is looking at this from a different angle than Apple is. Everyone is assuming it will never work because what tourist in their right mind would buy a laptop/desktop/whatever from an Apple store while on vacation, right?

I would look at this as more of a product showcase then a store, and if they sell a few items to help cover the cost of rent, all the better. Think about how many companies at Disney already pay a lot of money when an attraction is "sponsored" by them. And, with the exception of maybe McDonald's, you can't even purchase a product from the sponsoring company.

I would think that if this actually happens, it is being done with the intentions of exposure rather than profit (at least profit at this location). And, before discounting it as a possibility, consider that Apple has opened stores in tourist areas before. http://www.apple.com/retail/alamoana/

Yeah, but do you think Apple is lacking in exposure in any way? I can't even get away from the annoying marketing. Siemens on the other hand, most people have no idea who they are. I guess they could get a few people to see their stuff and get some gear going on for their return home. I just don't know if that is enough to float a giant store's operating costs.

samshem

Yeah, but do you think Apple is lacking in exposure in any way? I can't even get away from the annoying marketing. Siemens on the other hand, most people have no idea who they are. I guess they could get a few people to see their stuff and get some gear going on for their return home. I just don't know if that is enough to float a giant store's operating costs.

True, they do market a lot and most people will be hard pressed to not know who they are, but, this gives a large number of people from all over the world the opportunity to actually see/touch the stuff rather than just see it on TV or on the internet.

Also, I would guess that if they went into the old Virgin space that they would not take the whole thing.

PaisleyMF

I can see some Disney exclusive items been sold there, and they will sell like fast.

Mickey Mouse iPod?
mickeymouse.jpg

Mickey's head phones
rayout-rt-de1-disney-ipod-nano-headphones-silver.jpg

Just imagine all the laser engraved iPods that they can have exclusive to the store.

Even more, hand painted by Disney artist.

Now still people still sees Disney as just a tourist destination but business travelers can take advantage of a DtD store too

Also just imagine the detail of a store made by WDI and Apple (a Giant really working iPhone that you can touch and text for real)
giant%20iphone%203.jpg

I know much has been said in the past about the 'laziness' of Americans, but I can't believe that a 20 minute drive could be considered inconvenient. The two malls have substantially more than an Apple store, and the fact that they're always so busy would indicate otherwise.

In the end, it's not about whether or not an Apple is right for DtD, it's about if DtD is right for Apple. Three stores in Orlando is plenty enough for a store specializing in infrequent boutique electronic purchases.

That's personal, and it doesn't mean I am lazy, at all.

The aggravation of getting onto multiple highways and horrible roads in addition to paying tolls and using up gas is annoying to me. Consider it what you will, but I rather not get annoyed driving to a place where I'm trying to enjoy myself. If it was a 20 minute drive on an "okay" road that wasn't 6 lanes, it wouldn't be so bad.

Timmay

I do not see any reason for an apple store to be placed in Downtown Disney.

Uhhhh...$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Stupid to do it on Apples part. Who the heill goes on vacation and buys a computer?

The Apple store on the strip in Las Vegas is flat out packed all the time...with people that are obviously tourists. There have been some great ideas as to Disney related iPods and such...there are plenty of reasons why the store could work out really well.

Fun2BFree

That's personal, and it doesn't mean I am lazy, at all.

The aggravation of getting onto multiple highways and horrible roads in addition to paying tolls and using up gas is annoying to me. Consider it what you will, but I rather not get annoyed driving to a place where I'm trying to enjoy myself. If it was a 20 minute drive on an "okay" road that wasn't 6 lanes, it wouldn't be so bad.

My comment wasn't intended to be personal in any way. It addressed Americans, and I the quote marks around 'laziness' indicated it wasn't my explicit opinion. I was simply indicating that the two malls' popularity was considerable despite the distance and so that was little reason for a DtD Apple store.

WDWFREAK53

It could also be an "internet coffeeshop."

If you want to go in there, have a cup of coffee...and cruise the web to check email, etc. No problem. They could also have all of the Disney games set up on different machines for the kids. How about a room specifically for a music studio, movie studio, etc.?

Apple makes computing and technology "FUN"...why can't people understand this?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

If you want to go in there, have a cup of coffee...and cruise the web to check email, etc. No problem. They could also have all of the Disney games set up on different machines for the kids. How about a room specifically for a music studio, movie studio, etc.?

I like Apple. I just cant stand the fan club.:D

WDWFREAK53

I like Apple. I just cant stand the fan club.:D

Hehe, I know what you mean.

I like Apple...but not because I was born and raised to only like Apple. I was turned on to Apple moreso because I was turned OFF to the PC. Everything is so simple and easy with my iMac and iPhone. I look at people with a Blackberry and think it looks so complicated now!

Seriously, If I want to text the letter "C" why do I have to hit the same button 3 times? :shrug:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Hehe, I know what you mean.

I like Apple...but not because I was born and raised to only like Apple. I was turned on to Apple moreso because I was turned OFF to the PC. Everything is so simple and easy with my iMac and iPhone. I look at people with a Blackberry and think it looks so complicated now!

Seriously, If I want to text the letter "C" why do I have to hit the same button 3 times? :shrug:
I have never had a problem with a PC. I always hear the Apple zealots tell me how their PC's crashed all the time, they were always getting a virus, nothing worked yadda, yadda, yadda. My first PC was a 386/40 back in 1990 and I have been online since the days of BBS and to date I have had only one virus. Ironically enough I got it on that first PC from an infected PC in the AutoCADD lab. My system never crashes, my email and internet always work and the only time I have seen the BSOD is when I am overclocking a system. So you see I have never had a reason to even consider buying a Mac. To make mattes worse I like to do PC gaming and my engineering software that I run slows down to a crawl on your average Mac. I'll give you the fact that Mac's are pretty but when it comes to a tool, which a computer is, I worry much for about function than form and when I can get more power for less money it really becomes a no brainier.

EpcoTim

LOL. "FUN" I've never owned a PC, but I've used them at my last two jobs. I'm sitting here looking at a stack of old ibooks powerbooks and iMacs and I'm thinking, what makes them "FUN"? (Outside of the origiinal clamshell ibook) I love how the fans on my macbook's never shut off, even when its idle. That's not fun. Is this just fanboi speak for having a cool interface? An interface that can be replicated on any platform?

tirian

Off Topic: I use Macs and PCs everyday, and I own both. They both crash; they both have issues; neither one is perfect.

I hate how complicated some simple business tasks are on a Mac because OS X is a pain in the , and I hate how clunky other things are on PCs because Vista is a power-hogging nightmare.

Like I said, I own both, and I even use an iPhone; but I am not convinced that a Mac is always better than a PC.

p.s. My brand-new Mac required a hard drive replacement after 1 week; it was a manufacturer's defect. OS X crashes every time I try copying large numbers of files from one external hard drive to another because goofy Apple STILL won't support hard drive formats bigger than FAT32. :mad:

tirian

I have never had a problem with a PC. I always hear the Apple zealots tell me how their PC's crashed all the time, they were always getting a virus, nothing worked yadda, yadda, yadda. My first PC was a 386/40 back in 1990 and I have been online since the days of BBS and to date I have had only one virus. Ironically enough I got it on that first PC from an infected PC in the AutoCADD lab. My system never crashes, my email and internet always work and the only time I have seen the BSOD is when I am overclocking a system. So you see I have never had a reason to even consider buying a Mac. To make mattes worse I like to do PC gaming and my engineering software that I run slows down to a crawl on your average Mac. I'll give you the fact that Mac's are pretty but when it comes to a tool, which a computer is, I worry much for about function than form and when I can get more power for less money it really becomes a no brainier.

Every time I work on certain file formats, I have to switch to a PC b/c my brand new (loaded) Mac tower still cannot support the software. I blame OS X.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom