Apple Store at Downtown Disney?

dreamfinder

Me if there was an Apple store I avoid it; I think everything with an Apple label is over priced and is backward. If you do not believe me how many Macs run BluRay or have biometric sensors for security.

Why bother? The biometrics on most laptops can be defeated with a can of silly putty, (for fingerprint scanners) or a picture (the facial recognition) last time I checked.

BluRay is good for movies. On big screens. Thats about it. Haven't seen any BluRay games or software yet, and most laptop screens are useless to show true 1080 quality as their cards don't support it.

If you want to have a huge electronics retailer, put in Best Buy. Best Buy makes more sense they have no problem selling DVDs and CDs like Virgin did. They sell iPods too....

They also sell washers and dryers. I for sure know I have enough space in my luggage to bring one of those back home with me.

WDWFREAK53

I have a 3 year old PC that has crashed millions of times. My mac in it's 2 years of operation has crashed zero times.

Overpriced may be how it comes across to the normal person. But I don't think you can put a price on reliability.

BINGO! Exactly. I've had my computer for 2 1/2 years and NEVER had to reboot due to a crash. At most I've had to "Force Quit" a program but that is VERY rare.

The only reboots I do are for system updates...and I get to choose when I do those.

I just don't understand why people are against this. The buildings are always aesthetically pleasing (I can only imagine what would happen if they added a Disney twist...maybe Mickey Ears to the Apple Logo?). The staff is always knowledgable and friendly...and, you get to play hands-on with their stuff (The Mac stuff, not the staff ;) )

Ok, so the majority of us won't buy a computer while we're on vacation...but it doesn't mean that the store can't exist and become an "attraction" on its own! Between games, iPods, iPhones, music, movies, etc. (Not even mentioning the tutorials, Genius Bar, or accessories), there are plenty of reasons why Apple will fit into DTD.

Fun2BFree

Why would anybody want an iPod they like all Apple products are over priced?

Me if there was an Apple store I avoid it; I think everything with an Apple label is over priced and is backward. If you do not believe me how many Macs run BluRay or have biometric sensors for security.

Frankly, by the time you factor in a PC with similar specs, add a new monitor, and subtract annual antivirus software costs, Macs aren't overpriced at all. Furthermore, for the added reliability, speed and fun you have using one, it's well worth it.

But this isn't a Mac vs PC thread. Though it will inevitably become one.

PaisleyMF

Again, lets not compare brands let get services:
free WiFi, and access to a computer with internet if thats the case.

I lost my usb flash drive and i need to move a file from computer a to computer b (get a cab go to BestBuy, Walmart, Target or rent a car that will be more that 20 dollars, or jump to a free bus to DtD and go to the store)...

We keep seen Disney as a vacation paradise but there is also huge convention spaces (Swan and Dolphin, Contemporary, Coronado Springs) and not so big one (Hilton, Boardwalk, Buena Vista Palace, and others).

Yes it can be a little overprice but is not going to run me $80+ vs $30.

And you should see how many persons from oversea buy at the Apple Stores at Millenia or Florida Mall.

Yes that they are near by maybe but how many Apple Stores are near by the "Cube" in NYC?

redkoala245

I think an Apple store is a good idea. It will bring in more people to DTD. :)
But they should make it different compared to the other Apple stores, like making it Disney theme.

JWG

(Sigh)
You know, I'm still trying to figure out why this "IMAX is going into the Virgin Megatore building" rumor won't die already... It keeps getting explained over and over that it's not true.

Yes, IMAX is coming.
No, IMAX is not going into the now-vacant Virgin building.
They are, as lazyboy said, retrofitting existing theaters inside the existing AMC building to be IMAX.

Will they be full-size IMAX screens? Who knows. Here in New England, we have a few *huge* IMAX screens available (Jordans Furniture, for one), but there are also a couple theaters up in NH that show IMAX movies, but on a smaller-sized screen than the giant ones I got used to.

-Rob

There's no way they will be full-size IMAX screens. The existing space isn't sized for it. It will be "Imax-Lite":

http://consumerist.com/5250698/does-your-local-cinema-have-imax-or-just-imax-lite

Too bad that IMAX didn't push harder to prevent the branding of IMAX to inclusive of these smaller screens. Hopefully the theater doesn't charge significantly more for that theater.

PaisleyMF

There's no way they will be full-size IMAX screens. The existing space isn't sized for it. It will be "Imax-Lite":

http://consumerist.com/5250698/does-your-local-cinema-have-imax-or-just-imax-lite

Too bad that IMAX didn't push harder to prevent the branding of IMAX to inclusive of these smaller screens. Hopefully the theater doesn't charge significantly more for that theater.

When you read the IMAX screen size it actually says "UP TO" not a standard size for all of them, Regal Waterford Lakes (that has one of these IMAX-Lite screens) is 4 stories high, and that still big. But what makes IMAX amazing is the quality of the screen and the design of it. Plus the Sound.

NOW BACK TO OUR SHOW!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

Quite true. IMAX had to loosen the specs a bit to get their format in more theaters. For the most part you simply could not put a true IMAX in an existing theater, the space just isn't there. IMHO is was a good thing to do. We have one of those converted IMAX theaters in my local multiplex and while it is not as good as a true IMAX it is much better than the alternative of no IMAX at all.

DavyPR

for it

personally where i live the macs are more expensive while in orlando i purchased my mac pro and saved $600 and shipped it home by usps and still was cheaper then buying it here where i live so it is a good thing for people like me, also they could install itunes kiosks where you can insert money and download songs cd's even movies while visiting and if you don't believe people would do that while on vacation what did virgin sell cds, songs and movies. Note a lot of music available in the states is not necessarily available in other parts of the world so a lot of international tourists would use the itunes service. :)

devjohnson

Original Poster
i think it would be good since alot of people (ncluding me) look at the malls website and see if they have an apple store. i always go to the mall furthur away from my house due to an apple store. its worth the extra drive.

RedDeath

And where is this Virgin store now? Maybe they weren't selling CD's and movies.

Well just to stop you in your tracks here...

1. Virgin went bust as a whole company. It doesn't mean the DTD store was doing badly.

2. Virgin was being killed slowly by the online market.

3. iTunes was their competition. :hammer:

4. iTunes is cheaper. That and iTunes never runs out of stock nor does it need any floor space for it's items. :wave: I believe thats a win win.

lazyboy97o

And where is this Virgin store now? Maybe they weren't selling CD's and movies.
To be fair, Virgin Megastore has been dropping stores left and right for a few years now. One cannot simply state the store closed because people were uninterested or not buying the products sold.

jt04

1. Virgin went bust as a whole company. It doesn't mean the DTD store was doing badly.

4. iTunes is cheaper. That and iTunes never runs out of stock nor does it need any floor space for it's items. :wave: I believe thats a win win.

5. And Steve Jobs is on the Disney board. :lookaroun

EpcoTim

Okay...... so I stated that maybe, just maybe it was quite possible that the Virgin store closed because it wasn't selling as many DVD's and CD's (ie turning a profit) as it should have. You then tell me thats wrong by telling me that they were slowly killed by itunes and the online market? OK. Thank you for stopping me in my tracks.

The Hollywood and Times Square Virgins are remaining open so I would take a guess that the DTD Virgin store wasn't doing so hot.

And look at the CD and DVD sections at Best Buy. They account for roughly 35-40% of the floor space.

lazyboy97o

Please explain?
Apple and Google are currently being investigated by the Federal Trade Commission over the presence of common board members. While the business fields of Apple and Google are much more closely related than Disney and Apple, now may not be a prudent time to flex common board membership.

jt04

Apple and Google are currently being investigated by the Federal Trade Commission over the presence of common board members. While the business fields of Apple and Google are much more closely related than Disney and Apple, now may not be a prudent time to flex common board membership.

Oh. No wonder my apple stock is down :lol::lookaroun

devjohnson

Original Poster
Okay...... so I stated that maybe, just maybe it was quite possible that the Virgin store closed because it wasn't selling as many DVD's and CD's (ie turning a profit) as it should have. You then tell me thats wrong by telling me that they were slowly killed by itunes and the online market? OK. Thank you for stopping me in my tracks.

The Hollywood and Times Square Virgins are remaining open so I would take a guess that the DTD Virgin store wasn't doing so hot.

And look at the CD and DVD sections at Best Buy. They account for roughly 35-40% of the floor space.

actually, the times square one is closed. the only ones are in hollywood, and union square nyc. they will shut down though. the company plans to shut down ALL megastores.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom