Appalling state of the monorail cabins

Monorail_Red_77

Not really news worthy, just bad show I suppose. In my mind it was like. Ahhh fresh new Disney day, got here a bit early, parks aren't open yet. Wait, what??? a monorail is being towed already, boy this is going to be a long day for somebody.

I get things break morning, noon or night. I guess I'm thinking things should be breaking as often.
Oh, wait. I forgot, you gotta maintain those things.
Just then a Disney Manager looks at me. Wait!!! You gotta do what!????! We don't need no stinkin' maintenance. With all this Disney Magic around here, I thought things just fixed themselves. So I guess that explains the Fantasia brooms cleaning job on the monorails lately too.....

:facepalm:

dstrawn9889

Not really news worthy, just bad show I suppose. In my mind it was like. Ahhh fresh new Disney day, got here a bit early, parks aren't open yet. Wait, what??? a monorail is being towed already, boy this is going to be a long day for somebody.

I get things break morning, noon or night. I guess I'm thinking things should be breaking as often.
Just then a Disney Manager looks at me. Wait!!! You gotta do what!????! We don't need no stinkin' maintenance. With all this Disney Magic around here, I thought things just fixed themselves. So I guess that explains the Fantasia brooms cleaning job on the monorails lately too.....

for me it would be like WOW, i havent seen the red tug in a while, lets get some pictures! and then the next thing in my head would be 'monorails are parked so that the tug can go to shop, ferry time'

Monorail_Red_77

for me it would be like WOW, i havent seen the red tug in a while, lets get some pictures! and then the next thing in my head would be 'monorails are parked so that the tug can go to shop, ferry time'

Oh, yes. Don't get me wrong I like seeing them out and about too. It is a visual treat for sure.. ;)

Figment2005

I do not agree about bad show. Bad show would be putting a bandaid on it so that the beam opens on time and then proceeds to have issues all day. Not taking the train out of service before even loading the first guest so that another functioning train can then take its place. The term bad show gets tossed around here too much, just like the whole Disney is a business gets tossed around too much. Things happen, doesn't mean somebody did something wrong.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I do not agree about bad show. Bad show would be putting a bandaid on it so that the beam opens on time and then proceeds to have issues all day. Not taking the train out of service before even loading the first guest so that another functioning train can then take its place. The term bad show gets tossed around here too much, just like the whole Disney is a business gets tossed around too much. Things happen, doesn't mean somebody did something wrong.

Yes 'things happen' but when they happen CONSISTENTLY as the monorail failures do. it's an indication of a bigger problem in this case lack of an effective maintenance program. I drive older trucks as in 5 > years old, yet I don't experience constant breakdowns because I FIX the little stuff as soon as it breaks and I fix all the related stuff at the same time because it's LABOR which is the big expense not the parts. But at Disney they are too busy picking up pennies while dollars fly over their heads. I'm sure the maintenance technicians when they are repairing a monorail see stuff which 'needs work' and would be easy and cheap to fix when they are fixing a failure. But the current management only allows them to work on whats 'broken' not what's about to break,.

Example if a turn signal bulb fails I replace ALL the bulbs in the housing because they are all the same age and if one croaks the others are probably soon to fail. It's the labor which is expensive not the part yet the penny wise will only replace the single bulb and pay the labor over and over again as the other bulbs fail. Yes WDW has the mechanics 'on staff' but time wasted in repetitive repairs is time not available to fix other issues.

MerlinTheGoat

Visited EPCOT on Thursday briefly and rode the monorail to and from the TTC. Blue was the first one I rode, smelled a bit better than i've become accustomed to (still not good but tolerable). Air conditioning felt to be working somewhat, not at optimal strength but enough to avoid discomfort. But the physical condition was just as bad as ever.

The return trip back to TTC i'm not sure whether the monorail was blue or teal, it was one of those. If it was blue then it must have been a different cabin than before, the cabin I was in this trip stunk very bad. The air conditioning was also inferior to earlier (in spite of the sun having left and with far cooler weather outside, the monorail was considerably hotter inside than my earlier ride). Physical condition was also just as poor and had several pieces of trash scattered behind the seats.

From my own observance, the trash in particular should NOT be a problem for a few cast members to just step right in and to collect while the monorail waits to depart. There was plenty of time to do so, the doors remained open for long enough to do so without hassle, the cabin I rode was also not very full).

The scuffs, dents and rubbed off paint has been present for years with no attempt to fix this. It's a real embarrassment and whoever is responsible for maintaining them should be ashamed of themselves. The only part that was in decent condition was the "carpet" backsplash behind the seats (which is fairly new and sports the vintage WDW logo), but everything else was pretty abysmal.

Last edited:

alissafalco

During the first week of October I rode the monorail from the CR to MK a few times. The only issue I noticed was as I sat there a few drops of water dripped on me, I looked up and it looked like condensation dripping from the air conditioner from the ceiling. I wish I took note of which color the car was but I didn't look.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
During the first week of October I rode the monorail from the CR to MK a few times. The only issue I noticed was as I sat there a few drops of water dripped on me, I looked up and it looked like condensation dripping from the air conditioner from the ceiling. I wish I took note of which color the car was but I didn't look.

The fun thing about condensation dripping on you means the condensate drains are probably plugged and moldy, So use your imagination as to whats in that dripping condensate... :hungover:

matt9112

The fun thing about condensation dripping on you means the condensate drains are probably plugged and moldy, So use your imagination as to whats in that dripping condensate... :hungover:

could be...however in extremely high humidity areas the coil may not be able to remove all the moisture needed to prevent condensation further down the supply side. (it is very very common in commercial applications where doors are opened and closed almost constantly and there is no specific dehumidification systems in play)

also could be purely reactive results of massive temperature differences of air inside duct (say 55 or so) to ambient temperature.

s8film40

I have seen the condensation get so bad that it will build up and collect in the hatch covers, then when the train goes up/down hill it will literally dump gallons of water at a time. I've seen people sitting there get completely soaked.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
could be...however in extremely high humidity areas the coil may not be able to remove all the moisture needed to prevent condensation further down the supply side. (it is very very common in commercial applications where doors are opened and closed almost constantly and there is no specific dehumidification systems in play)

also could be purely reactive results of massive temperature differences of air inside duct (say 55 or so) to ambient temperature.

I have seen the condensation get so bad that it will build up and collect in the hatch covers, then when the train goes up/down hill it will literally dump gallons of water at a time. I've seen people sitting there get completely soaked.

Yes in the first case it's possible for some condensation to come off the evaporator coils in especially in extreme temp difference situations but the latter is clearly blocked evaporator drains.

rucifee

it is just water condensed from the air around... this is what happens on ISS, do you think that all the water they have is brought up to them?

No, it's water condensed from the air around and mixed with the rest of the nastiness behind those panels...like the nastiness I shared pictures of recently.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom