Anyone know how they pick people for "additional security screening" at the airport??

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaylenofan86

jozzmenia said:
Isn't that the idea? :confused: :lookaroun

Hello! No one is going to try because it's already been tried! I love this country, but I'm not going to give up my right just for the name of "security".

jozzmenia

Original Poster
jaylenofan86 said:
Hello! No one is going to try because it's already been tried! I love this country, but I'm not going to give up my right just for the name of "security".

i dont think it's too far fetched to think no one is going to try because they would likely get caught during shoe removal...:lookaroun

heck that's enough deterrent for me to not bring a nail file, let alone a bomb,

in my humble opinion, the fact alone that someone else has tried something before is not a deterrent...

jozzmenia

Original Poster
jaylenofan86 said:

You're not going to give up what right? What is the issue?

I mean, maybe it's because I work on the side of the law that I don't understand why people want to be uncooperative "just because they can". It just makes things difficult. Like the people who go off on the deputies at the courthouse because the metal detector went off, or people who complain because there's a cop behind them, but of course they want a cop around when they need one, immediately, or people who whine and fuss all day about showing ID at the bank or when they use a credit card, but then want to cry and blame someone else if their identity is stolen...it's like, man it's for your own safety but u want to make the whole process a little more difficult. i didn't get all irate about being pulled aside for additional screening i was slighlty annoyed and that's it. I could see if president bush one day said "i think it would be really funny to make people take of there shoes at the airport - ha ha ha." ok, complain about that. but make a process difficult when it's designed to protect your life? makes no sense to me. they're not asking anything crazy or off the wall, and their doing it to protect us from these psycho terrorists and whatever other psychos. i'm not going to make it any more difficult for them.

wannab@dis

jozzmenia said:

I mean, maybe it's because I work on the side of the law that I don't understand why people want to be uncooperative "just because they can". It just makes things difficult. Like the people who go off on the deputies at the courthouse because the metal detector went off, or people who complain because there's a cop behind them, but of course they want a cop around when they need one, immediately, or people who whine and fuss all day about showing ID at the bank or when they use a credit card, but then want to cry and blame someone else if their identity is stolen...it's like, man it's for your own safety but u want to make the whole process a little more difficult. i didn't get all irate about being pulled aside for additional screening i was slighlty annoyed and that's it. I could see if president bush one day said "i think it would be really funny to make people take of there shoes at the airport - ha ha ha." ok, complain about that. but make a process difficult when it's designed to protect your life? makes no sense to me. they're not asking anything crazy or off the wall, and their doing it to protect us from these psycho terrorists and whatever other psychos. i'm not going to make it any more difficult for them.
Exactly... the security measure is for the good of everyone. Plus, of all the people I saw last week in various airports, nobody had a 'shoe conspiracy' problem.

Keep in mind there are some shoes that are acceptable and doesn't need to be removed. However, it's easier to 'suggest' that all shoes are removed to just speed things along. It's not a power trip, it's not a conspiracy, it's not an invasion of privacy... it's simply easier and quicker than having agents go person to person and inspect to see if they need to remove their shoes.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
jozzmenia said:

The issues are:

A- lack of consistency from one TSA airport to another.

B- at the airports that have bad reputations (EWR, LAS, DEN, etc), the TSO's tossing out SOP's and what is publicly available on the website, and using their lack of power (but authoritative uniforms), to intimidate travelers into submitting to their demands.

C- TSO's claiming something is law, while it is not (these are the worst of the worst and should be fired on the spot)

D- Basic violations of privacy rights (ie, TSO demanding your name and address for your asking for a comment card).

If a police officer can't make up the law, why should these government employees, WITH NO LAW ENFORCEMENT POWERS, be allowed to? They claim its in the name of vigilance, well... in the Soviet Union, political prisoners in gulags, and having a secret police were both in the name of vigilance :rolleyes:

mkt

Premium Member
wannab@dis said:
Exactly... the security measure is for the good of everyone. Plus, of all the people I saw last week in various airports, nobody had a 'shoe conspiracy' problem.

What airports were you at? Different airports have different reputations.

wannab@dis said:
Keep in mind there are some shoes that are acceptable and doesn't need to be removed.

I'm well aware of what the TSA's profile is... and I never wear profile shoes when I travel. So why do some TSA barkers yell that "all shoes must be removed," while the TSA website says no, and the TSA plasma TV's and signage both say no.

Explain that to me.

wannab@dis said:
It's not a power trip, it's not a conspiracy, it's not an invasion of privacy...

Actually... it is. Read my previous point.

wannab@dis said:
it's simply easier and quicker than having agents go person to person and inspect to see if they need to remove their shoes.

Then the agents are getting lazy. According to several TSA Supervisors I've spoken to, SOP states that all shoes must be individually determined to meet profile or not.

hrmom26

barnum42 said:
A multi-page in-depth argument about the injustice of slipping your shoes off at a security check point? Think it's time I unsubscribe from this thread.

Goodbye and thanks for playing :wave:
that is the best advice i have heard all day :D
6 pages on if its ok to ask you to take off your shoes :snore:
have a great day guys i'm out

TTATraveler

wannab@dis said:
Keep in mind there are some shoes that are acceptable and doesn't need to be removed. However, it's easier to 'suggest' that all shoes are removed to just speed things along.

They could speed things up by not requiring people to remove their shoes in the first place. And if you must remove your shoes, then how about providing an area past the security for you to put your shoes back on so that there isn't a jam to get through the xray machine

Personally, I don't care whether I have to remove my shoes or not, but I think the premise behind the whole thing is flawed when TSA at 1 airport differs from another. I have been at Orlando and SNA when they announced not to take your shoes off and I have been at Orlando where they didn't say anything, and then when they did announce to take your shoes off. I hope someone doesn't try to use an underwear bomb, or that will be the next thing we'll have to deal with.

jozzmenia

Original Poster
TTATraveler said:
They could speed things up by not requiring people to remove their shoes in the first place. And if you must remove your shoes, then how about providing an area past the security for you to put your shoes back on so that there isn't a jam to get through the xray machine

has there ever been a "forced shoe removal incident" that delayed the line more than 16 seconds? :veryconfu

:brick:

:lookaroun

mkt

Premium Member
yes... for the person forced to remove their shoes.

Generally, the TSO sets off the WTMD in retaliation for having their "authority" questioned, which forced the PAX to go through secondary screening, which causes a delay for the PAX.

Had the TSO done their job in the first place, this wouldn't have happened.

TTATraveler

jozzmenia said:
has there ever been a "forced shoe removal incident" that delayed the line more than 16 seconds? :veryconfu

:brick:

:lookaroun

I'll have to take out my stopwatch and time it the next time I fly.:D All in all it is an extra thing you have to do once you clear the metal detector. Gather personal belongings/caryons, Put things back in your pockets, put your shoes back on while people are coming at you through the metal detector and their bags pushing your bags further down the belt.

TAC

TTATraveler said:
I'll have to take out my stopwatch and time it the next time I fly.:D All in all it is an extra thing you have to do once you clear the metal detector. Gather personal belongings/caryons, Put things back in your pockets, put your shoes back on while people are coming at you through the metal detector and their bags pushing your bags further down the belt.

Plus, if I am traveling alone, I am also worried about MY personal belongings that are in my carry on. While I am putting my shoes back on, someone could be walking off with MY bag. And TSA's response to this scenario? "Oh well."

Same goes for inspecting checked baggage. They open baggage, rummage through baggage, all without the passenger being present?!?! And if something is missing, it isn't TSA's fault?!?! All in the name of "national security?!?!" Nope, sorry. TSA agents have been and still are getting caught stealing from passengers' bags.

TTATraveler

TAC said:
Plus, if I am traveling alone, I am also worried about MY personal belongings that are in my carry on. While I am putting my shoes back on, someone could be walking off with MY bag. And TSA's response to this scenario? "Oh well."

My response to that is I'm not moving away from the belt until I have my bag and my shoes are on. Its not my fault that little room is given to accomplish this. Oh well if that clogs the area up, I'm not the one making everyone take their shoes off.

jozzmenia

Original Poster
mkt said:
yes... for the person forced to remove their shoes.

Generally, the TSO sets off the WTMD in retaliation for having their "authority" questioned, which forced the PAX to go through secondary screening, which causes a delay for the PAX.

Had the TSO done their job in the first place, this wouldn't have happened.

or perhaps had the person copperated in the first place, it wouldn't have happened...:lookaroun

basically, it seems like the ones who have a big problem are the ones who go up to the metal detector and make problems for themselves, then want to blame the TSA for the delay that they themselves created...

jozzmenia

Original Poster
TAC said:

Same goes for inspecting checked baggage. They open baggage, rummage through baggage, all without the passenger being present?!?! And if something is missing, it isn't TSA's fault?!?! All in the name of "national security?!?!" Nope, sorry. TSA agents have been and still are getting caught stealing from passengers' bags.

you find that u are unable to put on shoes and watch your bag at the same time? :veryconfu if u get hassled so frequently, u might want to try and hone that skill. i find it's not all that difficult. :lookaroun

and when they inspected MY baggag, i was standing right there...

wannab@dis

TTATraveler said:
TSA at 1 airport differs from another.

This is the only point that I can agree with. ALL security should be consistant at each airport. It shouldn't change from one to another.

As for searched luggage, they've searched my checked baggage before since I've found the paper they add to the luggage. It really doesn't bother me since nothing has ever happened. If it did, I would find a way to protest, but I understand the need for the searches and if it bothered me, I wouldn't check my luggage.

I have read somewhere (wish I could remember where) that if you are worried about the checked baggage searches, you can have your bag searched and tagged in your presence prior to check-in. I'm not sure how reliable that information may be or if it's done at all airports. Once again, a single policy should be mandated.

jozzmenia

Original Poster
TTATraveler said:
My response to that is I'm not moving away from the belt until I have my bag and my shoes are on. Its not my fault that little room is given to accomplish this. Oh well if that clogs the area up, I'm not the one making everyone take their shoes off.

and that's a perfectly logical response. i think it's about the same as a regular traffic jam - when people cooperate and follow the rules, things run a lot more smoothly, but when it becomes all about "me me me" things start to go downhill real quick...

i'm one of the extra nice people who hustles to grab all of my carry on stuff in one quick swoop just because i'm paranoid that other people in line will be annoyed that i'm taking to long :eek:, then just sort it out later on...

jozzmenia

Original Poster
wannab@dis said:
This is the only point that I can agree with. ALL security should be consistant at each airport. It shouldn't change from one to another.

I agree, that's ideal, but it seems a bit unrealistic. I mean, where in life can u find total consistency regardless of "written policy"? If u go to court in the same county, one Judge will do things differently than another. What's admissible in one court is inadmissible in another... In your hometown, one police officer might only pull people over if they go 15 or more over the speed limit, and another will pull you over if u go 5 over... one mcdonald's may give u unlimited sauces for your nuggets, while another has their limits posted... i could go on and on, and look how many airports there are. TSA has their policies posted on the website. I think it would be unrealistic to expect EVERY SINGLE human employee to follow them to a tee. They attempt to, and there are minimal problems. In fact, I haven't seen ANY when i was in an airport. some people notice trouble more than others i guess, but it's not a massive problem in general. every system has flaws, and it could be a lot worse.

wannab@dis said:
As for searched luggage, they've searched my checked baggage before since I've found the paper they add to the luggage. It really doesn't bother me since nothing has ever happened. If it did, I would find a way to protest, but I understand the need for the searches and if it bothered me, I wouldn't check my luggage.

In my comment I thought they were talking about searching checked luggage...It makes sense to be annoyed that it's not searched in your presence, especially if something comes up missing, but my cousin on her honeymoon got a digital camera and 2 cell phones stolen and they were able to get them replaced. Also, I don't check any item I would die without, as in anything of significant value. I put that stuff in the carry on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom