Anyone Else Worried About Monsters University?

Tom Morrow

I thought it was amazing, easily a top Pixar film for me. What Pixar has successfully done with each of their sequels (I know this is a prequel) is expand on the characters and their universe without alienating the original ideas.

Also, the ending. *SPOILER BELOW!*

I absolutely love the fact that they decided to keep Mike and Sully expelled. I was waiting for the cliche' "well we've re-evaluated our decision based on your performance in the human world so we're letting you back in" explanation, but it didn't. Instead, Mike and Sully moved on and worked their way up.

Cosmic Commando

I agree that the trailer for Frozen makes it look like a generic CGI Pixar/DreamWorks wannabe movie. In fact, it reminds me a lot of the Scrat teasers for the Ice Age movies.

I'm actually more worried about Frozen than Monsters Uni. A lot of people here are not really all that impressed with the Frozen trailers, designs and just about everything with that film so far. I mean, it's what, the fourth princess in five years? I think some are already turned off with too much princess movies Disney has made in recent years. I haven't seen MU but so far, it's not worse than Cars 2 through word of mouth so that's certainly a good sign. Of course, the sequel is going fall flat compared to the original. That's basically the norm for film franchises.

That REALLY did not look like the movie I thought we were getting!

Cosmic Commando

[spoilers]Saw MU last night and really liked it. It didn't have quite the emotional punch for me, because it was a prequel and we knew how the characters would end up. They did a good job of getting Mike's expectations up... with the little "destiny" cliche on his field trip at the beginning, the Scare Games, etc. Really, the characters failed in their goals a lot throughout the movie, but worked hard and pulled themselves back up at the end. Imagine if OK really did win the Scare Games? Completely different movie! I liked it; would gladly watch it again.

HouCuseChickie

Surprised the kids with a trip to the movies this morning. While I agree that it didn't have the emotional punch like the original, it was enjoyable. I know some might not agree, but I think I enjoyed the humor in this one more than the original even if the storyline didn't have the same impact of the whole Boo and Kitty relationship. It also looks like a cash cow for Disney in the merch dept.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Pixar is 14 for 14! - All 14 films have opened at #1 and Monsters U is the second highest Pixar opening ever 82 million this weekend - Toy Story 3 is still #1 with $110.3.

It did great across all the demos too - audiences were 56 percent female and 60 percent below the age of 25. Families made up 73 percent of business, and teens accounted for a solid 15 percent.

Funnily enough if you adjust the ticket prices for Monster's Inc it would have opened at 82 million as well.

Cosmic Commando

Surprised the kids with a trip to the movies this morning. While I agree that it didn't have the emotional punch like the original, it was enjoyable. I know some might not agree, but I think I enjoyed the humor in this one more than the original even if the storyline didn't have the same impact of the whole Boo and Kitty relationship. It also looks like a cash cow for Disney in the merch dept.

Speaking of merch... free shipping with Monsters U stuff @ disneystore.com ends tonight. ;)

Thrill

Good but not great, as I see it. Pretty much what I expected going in; it's worth seeing, but sequels are starting to scare me. Yes, it's a good movie, but they might have passed on the next Up or Ratatouille for this.

TropicalFig8

I don't regret to say that I had an emotional connection with this movie than the first movie.
Just to join Mike on his quest to success at Monsters University and with the obstacles and challenges he had to go through. I felt just like him during high school.

I mean yes it's not as great as the original, but I love how they handled the moral. Even though people try to knock you down, you just keep trying and you'll succeed. Even if Mike and Sully didn't get to go to MU, they at least were able to get their start.

I also loved the growing friendship of Mike and Sully. We know that Mike's Sully's sidekick, but in this movie we know how Mike can motivate Sully into being the scarer he is now.

So, say whatever you like, but for me I loved it.

Ignohippo

Maybe it's because I had low expectations, but I absolutely LOVED it! I thought Cars 2 was abysmal (after Cars had been a religion in our family for years, Cars 2 pretty much killed it) and Brave was mediocre for a Pixar movie. I found MU to be the first Pixar movie in years to have the Pixar "charm" again. I was afraid it had died when Joe Ranft passed away, but I'm happy to see it has returned.

Maybe it has something to do with the return of Randy Newman as well, I don't know. But, I have a high right now I haven't had for a long time after seeing a movie.

Ignohippo

I don't regret to say that I had an emotional connection with this movie than the first movie.
Just to join Mike on his quest to success at Monsters University and with the obstacles and challenges he had to go through. I felt just like him during high school.

I mean yes it's not as great as the original, but I love how they handled the moral. Even though people try to knock you down, you just keep trying and you'll succeed. Even if Mike and Sully didn't get to go to MU, they at least were able to get their start.

I also loved the growing friendship of Mike and Sully. We know that Mike's Sully's sidekick, but in this movie we know how Mike can motivate Sully into being the scarer he is now.

So, say whatever you like, but for me I loved it.

I couldn't have said it better myself. In a way, Sulley was actually Mike's sidekick in this one.

I didn't see how they could have a really original story here (and the commercials make it look like it's just going to be them in a bunch of games with no story), but they really told an amazing story and added a lot of depth to the characters. Even more shocking that it had the same heart as the original, even without Pete Docter being as heavily involved.

Kudos Pixar. You've done it again.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom