Anybody get a 35% raise last year?

FettFan

So at 8.90 people can live. Why then is there such an uproar for $15.00 an hour for fast food workers if 8.90 is the reasonable number.

Because fast food employees are s***heads. Disney CMs regularly go above and beyond just showing up for a paycheck.

Having eaten at many, MANY fast food joints...those people don't DESERVE $15 an hour.

Disney CMs though...they are something special. I have never had a problem dealing with Disney employees; they WANT to be there, and the locations listed on their name tags prove it.

Last edited:

mousehockey37

Because fast food employees are s***heads. Disney CMs regularly go above and beyond just showing up for a paycheck.

Having eaten at many, MANY fast food joints...those people don't DESERVE $15 an hour.

Disney CMs though...they are something special.

Please tread carefully. There are lots of people in jobs they don't want because the job market is still bad. Not everyone in fast food is a bad person. Not every college graduate is placed in their field of study or able to find any work, so they have to make due with what they can get.

I do believe that there are some bad eggs out there that make fast food bad, I've had my share of botched orders. I also don't go to those establishments anymore, and I've made my concerns known to those managers.

Lucky

http://work.chron.com/ceo-compensation-vs-world-15509.html

In other countries today, and in this one during Walt's era, the ratio of CEO pay to the median employee salary in their companies was about 20 to 1. In the U.S. today it's more like 400 to 1.

But maybe CEOs in every other time and place have been grossly underpaid, and it's only now and only in this country that they're finally being treated fairly. :rolleyes:

FettFan

Please tread carefully. There are lots of people in jobs they don't want because the job market is still bad. Not everyone in fast food is a bad person. Not every college graduate is placed in their field of study or able to find any work, so they have to make due with what they can get.

I do believe that there are some bad eggs out there that make fast food bad, I've had my share of botched orders. I also don't go to those establishments anymore, and I've made my concerns known to those managers.

Yeah well their attitudes trend towards sucking harder than a Hoover.

I make $14 an hour selling marine and boating gear (not my first career choice with a history degree) and I would personally be offended if some Snot nosed, uneducated whopper-flopper with absolutely no higher ambitions in life were to be making more than me.

mousehockey37

Yeah well their attitudes trend towards sucking harder than a Hoover.

I make $14 an hour selling marine and boating gear (not my first career choice with a history degree) and I would personally be offended if some Snot nosed whopper-flopper were to be making more than me.

Well, knowing you have a higher intelligence and being forced into whatever job to try and make ends meet and not making those ends meet would definitely make your attitude suck.

I do think that should the minimum go to $15/hr, that all other realms of industry will have to adjust their wages as well.

FettFan

How much is "fair"?

Minimum of $30k for full-timers. Disney attracts folks from across the country, and even throughout the world...it would be a sin to hire these folks, have them uproot their lives and in some cases leave their families to become Disney CMs, and then make them barely scrape by after having to pay for necessities such as housing and utilities.

Weather_Lady

Sheesh. I'm a federal employee, and for the last 5 years I've gotten nothing more than cost of living increases which add up to something like 1% per year... except for the times my salary was frozen for a few months here and there (you know, every time Congress doesn't do its job and pass a budget, I continue to have to do my job, only for less pay...) :rolleyes:

I'm not an hourly employee and I'm content with my wages (I knew when I was hired that no huge salary increases would ever be in the cards - griping aside, I'm just happy to have a good job with a nice boss), but I'm all for raising the minimum wage. I know too many hard-working families who have to rely on it to make ends meet, and it rarely does.

FettFan

Well, knowing you have a higher intelligence and being forced into whatever job to try and make ends meet and not making those ends meet would definitely make your attitude suck.

I do think that should the minimum go to $15/hr, that all other realms of industry will have to adjust their wages as well.

Nope. Unless they are going to become actual burger smiths and create food that would make Anthony Bourdain swoon, fast food workers don't deserve it.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
If you call to arbitrarily raise the minimum wage across the board , you lack understanding of how capitalism and economics functions. Its an open market, if the jobs are not filled for the offered compensation then in an open market additional compensation in one form or another is added up to the point where the return on investment still provides sufficient financial return...ie profit.

Btw, Ive worked for seasonal wages before (less than minimum at amusement parks witha six in thier name), minimum wage, and enlisted military so its not like I havent been there myself. Ive since increased my education and skills so I make more.

Last edited:

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Without going into what CMs and the like should be paid, I think part of the problem is that the market that sets what CEOs and others get paid has nothing to do with us, the consumer. Rather it is what companies are willing to compensate CEOs. As companies get bigger and bigger, so does compensation at the top. It doesn't seem like a CEO is worth 10,000x more than the typical working stiff for the company, so many have adverse reactions to the compensation packages. Further, these compensation packages have outpaced inflation by any measure and any risk associated with any of these jobs is gone with golden parachutes and the like. Bob Iger is not the same as Walt Disney. He had no creative vision. He took no risk, except maybe some small personal risk at a couple different points in his career no different than the risk any of us take.

Now, whether or not anything could be done about it or should we be worried about it or the morality of compensation package are all different arguments. Our visceral, human, and often times political reactions to this type of news means that threads of this type should probably not be created. But, perhaps, each poster in this thread will display maturity, wisdom, politeness, and love of one's fellow Disneyphile as our convoluted path through the ins and outs of wage structures in the modern American economy are debated.

Last edited:

NelsonRD

I think I understand what is going on here.

I made a chart to help visualize what I think. Basically, I believe the amount of hate somebody has towards other people is directly relational to how much more money they make then them.

Attachments

• anger.jpg
    anger.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 54

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Maybe, if the pay was better in fast food establishments, they could keep higher quality employees.

What's that old addage? You get what you pay for.

You pay ****, you get ****. Shocking, I know.
But since WDW is really expensive for fast food shouldn't it be better;)

rct247

I wish that the highest paying position of a company or organization could only make 20 times what the lowest paying position makes in a year.

Clamman73

Regarding the fast food argument, aren't certain places like Five Guys and In & Out paying more than McD's, and somehow managing to be successful and highly regarded? It's almost as if you pay someone better, you get better results....
I haven't comparison shopped lately, but does Five Guys charge a bit more per burger vs McDs? That may play a role in salary compensation of the two.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom