Any rumors of what will presented at D23 Expo this Summer?

PorterRedkey

I know that the D23 after Cars Land opened there were a few panels about the making of Cars Land. Perhaps we will get some panels like this for Avatar.

Other than that I am guessing more on TSL and SWL. If we are lucky we'll get a new attractions announcement, but I am not getting my hopes up.

Figments Friend

Lots of anniversaries this year, from Parks, to Attractions, to films.
There will be a lot to choose from when the time comes around for the D23 folks to come up with ideas for panels or displays.

For 2017's Expo, here are some things I am just guessing we might see -

Full scale model of Disneyland's 'Star Wars' themed area on display.
A display related to Epcot's 35th or Disneyland Paris' 25th.
A featured panel related to Epcot's 35th.
Smaller panel related to 'Space Mountain' ( turns 40 this year )
A panel or display related to 'Snow White & the Seven Dwarfs' ( 80th Anniversary ).

I'm not expecting a lot of further insights into Orlando based projects.
Maybe a few more tidbits in the Parks & Resorts panel about DHS projects, and maybe some ear candy for Epcot fans related to the upcoming refresh...but I'm not expecting anything major.
It would be good to see something related to 'Pandora' at DAK....perhaps a display featuring the 'making of' the area.

I get the impression this years Event is going to be very Star Wars heavy...and focus mostly on those elements.
Between promoting the upcoming film Ep: 8 - 'The Last Jedi' and Disneyland's under construction themed area, this is a Expo that I think Star Wars fans will enjoy the most.

Of course there will likely be a slew of merchandise released to coincide with the Expo and maybe tie into the above Anniversaries I mentioned.
I don't attend the Expo to 'shop' like a lot of other folks seem to do, but I do still enjoy seeing what is offered out of curiosities sake.
'Mickey's of Glendale' always has the more interesting items, in my opinion....

-

Last edited:

TP2000

By July 15th Pandora and Rivers Of Light should both be open at WDW, and Guardians of the Galaxy Mission:Breakout and the all-new Fantasmic! will both be open at Disneyland. They could do an exhibit or presentation on "How We Imagineered..." any of those new offerings, but that kind of info won't be the headliners.

I'm not sure they could announce much for Toy Story Land. It is what it is, and Disney has already revealed the very basic nature of its two small attractions. What else do they talk about? Churro cart placement? Restroom wallpaper?

That leaves the projects that won't be open yet, or haven't been officially announced, to receive big reveals or new information about them. Those would be, in no particular order:

• Star Wars Land info, including details about the two rides
  • Announce of what becomes of Star Tours once Star Wars Land opens
  • Marvel Land announcement for Disneyland Resort
  • Disneyland Resort New Luxury Hotel info, including amenities/theme

Soarin' Over Pgh

I know that the D23 after Cars Land opened there were a few panels about the making of Cars Land. Perhaps we will get some panels like this for Avatar.

Other than that I am guessing more on TSL and SWL. If we are lucky we'll get a new attractions announcement, but I am not getting my hopes up.

I think that's the right amount of enthusiasm we should approach this with.

And yeah they will definitely bring something Avatar related to show off the new land- no doubt. I wonder if Joe will be presenting this.

Lots of anniversaries this year, from Parks, to Attractions, to films.
There will be a lot to choose from when the time comes around for the D23 folks to come up with ideas for panels or displays.

For 2017's Expo, here are some things I am just guessing we might see -

Full scale model of Disneyland's 'Star Wars' themed area on display.
A display related to Epcot's 35th or Disneyland Paris' 25th.
A featured panel related to Epcot's 35th.
Smaller panel related to 'Space Mountain' ( turns 40 this year )
A panel or display related to 'Snow White & the Seven Dwarfs' ( 80th Anniversary ).

I'm not expecting a lot of further insights into Orlando based projects.
Maybe a few more tidbits in the Parks & Resorts panel about DHS projects, and maybe some ear candy for Epcot fans related to the upcoming refresh...but I'm not expecting anything major.
It would be good to see something related to 'Pandora' at DAK....perhaps a display featuring the 'making of' the area.

I get the impression this years Event is going to be very Star Wars heavy...and focus mostly on those elements.
Between promoting the upcoming film Ep: 8 - 'The Last Jedi' and Disneyland's under construction themed area, this is a Expo that I think Star Wars fans will enjoy the most.

Of course there will likely be a slew of merchandise released to coincide with the Expo and maybe tie into the above Anniversaries I mentioned.
I don't attend the Expo to 'shop' like a lot of other folks seem to do, but I do still enjoy seeing what is offered out of curiosities sake.
'Mickey's of Glendale' always has the more interesting items, in my opinion....

-

Ambitious but I'd love to see all of that! I'd really like to know more about the possibility of a Mickey ride at DHS and I'm least interested in TSL.

I'm not going but will be attending the WDWMAGIC Couch Tour and live vicariously through those who are going! Can't wait for more insight.

doctornick

If we are lucky we'll get a new attractions announcement, but I am not getting my hopes up.

I think there's a good chance they will officially announce at least some new plans for the parks in some capacity at D23. In terms of the domestic parks, that could include details for DCA's Marvel land or the possible Fantasyland addition (Frozen ride and whatever else is considered for that); for WDW, it could include the Mickey LPS ride, a replacement for SGE, or changes to Epcot (ride for France, replacements for Innoventions or Energy)

I'm not expecting all or even most of that, but would be surprised if there wasn't at least one or two things announced assuming they are approved and ready to be constructed.

Granted, there's a ton of stuff they could do for P&R based on already announced/being built stuff and the P&R presentation and any floor show will likely be heavy on that.

PorterRedkey

I think there's a good chance they will officially announce at least some new plans for the parks in some capacity at D23. In terms of the domestic parks, that could include details for DCA's Marvel land or the possible Fantasyland addition (Frozen ride and whatever else is considered for that); for WDW, it could include the Mickey LPS ride, a replacement for SGE, or changes to Epcot (ride for France, replacements for Innoventions or Energy)

I'm not expecting all or even most of that, but would be surprised if there wasn't at least one or two things announced assuming they are approved and ready to be constructed.

Granted, there's a ton of stuff they could do for P&R based on already announced/being built stuff and the P&R presentation and any floor show will likely be heavy on that.
I do hope we will get a new project announcement. One of the rumored projects you listed would make sense, but I am going to keep my expectations low, so I will be more excited if it happens. :cool:

Haymarket2008

I would imagine they would announce Marvel Land at California Adventure on the heels of GOTG Mission:Breakout's opening. They were inches from announcing it back in 2015. And I'd hope they'd give us a full glimpse into the future of Epcot. It really is about time.

Cmdr_Crimson

The announcement of the renaming of DHS that was rumored...
The announcement of the "So Called" maintaining the original vision of the educationally-centered park known as EPCOT..
Whats to happen with Future World East (UoE & WoL), JIIwF, & Innoventions would also be nice

TP2000

It depends on what their end goals are for the D23, to lather up the fanbois or show what will actually be coming?

Agreed. But for the Anaheim property they also need to show what is coming to satisfy a small army of lawyers, both pro and anti Disney.

In 2015 Disney entered into a legal agreement with the City of Anaheim that dictates Disney spend at least 1.5 Billion dollars on Disneyland expansion within the next five years. They got about 1 Billion accounted for in 2016 with formal announcements of Star Wars Land, the Eastern Gateway infrastructure project, and the new luxury hotel to be built next to Downtown Disney, but there's still about 500 Million missing from announced projects. Disney has to publicly show where that money is going in Anaheim to prevent legal action from a politically hostile Anaheim city hall whose majority is anti-Disneyland and is demanding Disney "show them the money".

There is no such legal/political mandate applied to any WDW expansion, so D23 Expo announcements for the Florida property are much less important to Disney's lawyers. And the business-political climate in Florida and Orlando is far different than the political climate in California and Anaheim.

It also helps that D23 Expo is always held at the Anaheim Convention Center.

SirLink

Agreed. But for the Anaheim property they also need to show what is coming to satisfy a small army of lawyers, both pro and anti Disney.

In 2015 Disney entered into a legal agreement with the City of Anaheim that dictates Disney spend at least 1.5 Billion dollars on Disneyland expansion within the next five years. They got about 1 Billion accounted for in 2016 with formal announcements of Star Wars Land, the Eastern Gateway infrastructure project, and the new luxury hotel to be built next to Downtown Disney, but there's still about 500 Million missing from announced projects. Disney has to publicly show where that money is going in Anaheim to prevent legal action from a politically hostile Anaheim city hall whose majority is anti-Disneyland and is demanding Disney "show them the money".

There is no such legal/political mandate applied to any WDW expansion, so D23 Expo announcements for the Florida property are much less important to Disney's lawyers. And the business-political climate in Florida and Orlando is far different than the political climate in California and Anaheim.

It also helps that D23 Expo is always held at the Anaheim Convention Center.

They could announce any Disneyland improvement or expansion at any shareholder meeting or through a press release on a quiet Tuesday morning. As you said they had 5 years from 2015 so 3 more years.

Figments Friend

I do have to confess that I am hoping for some kind of aknowledgment of Epcot's 35th Anniversary at the Expo....and not just merchandise ( that does not count, peeps..! ).
A informative panel, maybe a display of old relics ( models, art, etc....I'll even take Marty! :joyfull: )
Fans love that stuff...exspecially us EPCOT Center geeks and certified old school WED heads.

I am aware of the planned Orlando ' Destination D' mini event slated to coincide with the anniversary, but if they do something for the Expo they can save themselves the work later on and just 'clone' the Anaheim presentation for the Orlando crowd.

Are you reading this, Disney...I'm trying to make this easy for you!
We want Epcot at the Expo this year!
;)

-

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom