Any rumors of what will presented at D23 Expo this Summer?

UpAllNight

You see...Disney might want whatever they do at Epcot to be "the must see" event, but nothing is going to eclipse Star Wars for a good few years, so they may as well accelerate the timelines and make Epcot a worthwhile visit for 2019/2020 for the influx of crowds rather than concerning themselves with Epcot not having its limelight.

Because Epcot is in no way going to be the must see. 2019-2021 it'll be Star Wars no matter what else they do. 2021 the focus will be on the entire resort but mainly MK...so are they going to wait until 2022 before giving Epcot it's much needed boost?

Just get on with it Disney. It shouldn't have come to this as it is. Time for them to repair their damage.

righttrack

Just get on with it Disney. It shouldn't have come to this as it is. Time for them to repair their damage.

Exactly. Accelerate the projects and make them something that will wow people on the scale it wowed people on in the 70s and 80s. Innovative stuff, not cookie cutter approaches.

Figments Friend

Yeah, I do get the impression that this years Expo is going to be very 'Star Wars' heavy as I noted in one of my earlier posts.
Between the new film 'The Last Jedi' and the big expansions coming to the Parks on both coasts related to the IP, I am pretty sure it will be a inescapable thing.

Now a part of me is hoping that it does not become TOO 'Star Wars' centric.
I am going to the Expo because of my interest to attend another Disney Convention ...not a Star Wars Convention.
If I wanted to do that, I'd save my money and just go to the next 'Star Wars Celebration' this year in Orlando.
But no, I'm not....I've decided to go experience another D23 Expo and see the sights and meet the people related to Disney's various worlds.

Yes, that includes 'Star Wars' now thanks to the buyout, and that is fine in little doses...but I am really hoping they don't go completely nuts and it's themes overshadow everything else at the Expo.
Just hoping for some restraint.
Maybe I'm showing my age, but I like a large serving of actual 'Disney' with a small side serving of 'acquired property Disney', exspecially at a Disney Convention that bills itself as 'The Ultimate Disney Fan Event'
;)

And speaking of that.....

The Disney Company has a HUGE stable of famous and favorite properties and it is a shame that during a giant Event like the Expo more aspects of that stable are not explored or exploited.
They only seem to dwell on a small handful of properties and it becomes a bit repetitive after a short time.

I understand the need to focus on current properties for Marketing purposes, which we all already know is really what the Expo is all about, but it would be nice to see some classic stuff from the past too brought out of the vault.
They do some of this ( Archives Exhibit ) which is great, but it seems to me more could be done in other areas.

These Events are for the most part attended by mega-fans and dare I say in another category the serious Disney mega-geeks that could recognize and appreciate the forgotten or nostalgic fueled properties of yore.
I mean, the Expo bills itself as 'The Ultimate Disney Fan Event'...right?
So instead of trotting out the same ol' 'hot properties' yet again, let's see something truly unique and mind blowing.
Stuff that is cool that nobody has seen for ages.

Hoping for some aspects of that this year....however small they may end up being.

-

Last edited:

EricsBiscuit

I think we're gonna see a lot of overseas parks stuff. The domestic parks are all doing great, but DLP and HKDL are not doing good. I fully expect more announcements for them and not much for domestic parks.

po1998

With all the speculation about Epcot, I am very interested in what will be announced at D23 this summer beyond the obvious Pandora, TSL & SWL talk.

Figments Friend

Well I would assume that there will be some sort of panel related to Epcot's 35th.
A typical history of the Park kind of presentation, with those personalities involved in it's creation present on stage.
If similar to other pangels I've experienced there, likely showing some video footage of construction, Grand Opening, etc.

I don't for a minute beleive that at this point anything related to the rumored upcoming major overhaul of Epcot is going to be announced.
It's too early...even for July.
I don't think anything will be firmed up enough by that point in a form Disney would be willing and comfortable with announcing.
Seems too early in the process.
Hope I'm wrong!

Oh we might hear a few ear tickling teasers about a couple of the first projects lined up for the Park...if that....but I'm not expecting to hear about any of the major plans yet.
By the time the next Expo happens in 2019, then I would assume the redevelopment plans have firmed up to the point where we would hear a major announcement / reveal or see a display spread.

But July 2017...?
I'm just not feeling it for this year.

This year I get the impression it's going to be all about 'Star Wars', 'Marvel', and more 'Star Wars'.
Not overly exciting to me ( and I love the 'Star Wars' films ) ....so here's hoping for some nice unexpected surprises to offset the ComicCon roster.

Stuff this WED Head is hoping for -

Awesome EPCOT Center related panel ( yes! ) or display ( models!!) in relation to the 35th.
Disneyland Paris' 25th acknowledgement ( either a panel, or display of some type ).
Spectacular Imagineering Pavilion ( the less 'Star Wars', the better...but I doubt it this year.. )
Mind blowing Archives exhibit with lots of old models, props, original art, and anything related to AAs.
More time with Tony Baxter ( yes, I said it! )

:)

-

-

Last edited:

truecoat

Parks presentation will be dominated by gondola talk. There will be a full scale model of the system. A presentation on gondola cast members costumes and a special screening of Gondolas Dos and Don'ts starring Goofy.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Here's the stuff that's pretty much confirmed as happening by insiders, which could certainly be announced at D23 next week:
  • The Mickey Ride
  • UoE to GotG
  • Brazil
  • Rat Ride
  • Gondolas
  • what the Mission Space refurb and update is all about
  • a date for TSL maybe
  • site plans for SWL
  • SW Resort
  • Coronado site plans
  • new Star Tours scene
  • placement of the Clubs 33
  • DL's Fantasmic!!
  • DL's Superhero Land (including Captain America coaster)
  • DL's new deluxe resort
  • Expansions for Hong Kong, Shanghai, and Paris

They may be prevented from talking about the CBR DVC because of arcane DVC advertising laws.

Other things they can talk about if they've come to an internal decision:
  • what ride is going in the UK
  • what they're going to be doing with Tomorrowland including the fate of SGE and Speed Track
  • new Cirque show in 2018
  • rumored refurb of Marketplace
  • opening of The Edison (just kidding, it will never open!)
  • any other Future World refurb
  • new name for DHS
  • new name for Epcot

Daveeeeed

With all the speculation about Epcot, I am very interested in what will be announced at D23 this summer beyond the obvious Pandora, TSL & SWL talk.
Walt Disney Studios needs to be a super good park to make Disneyland Paris a destination. Until then it will have trouble being more than a locals park.

nickys

Premium Member
Walt Disney Studios needs to be a super good park to make Disneyland Paris a destination. Until then it will have trouble being more than a locals park.

At the moment I would think Paris gets about 3 to 4 times as many visitors from the UK than WDW does. I work in a primary school. In any class of 25 to 30 kids, 3 or 4 have been to Florida, usually staying in a private villa somewhere (I only know of 2 families who have stayed onsite). Those families will typically go again a couple of years later.

Around 10 to 12 will have been to Paris. Although it's expensive for 3 to 4 days, compared to Florida where they would come for 14 days or more, it's still cheaper than the cost of flights alone to Orlando. Most though only go once, very few go again. And that's the problem, there's no reason to go back really. DH and I went once, before we had kids. We could never really justify the cost of taking the boys, we saved up and took them to Florida (with mil). Now I'm thinking we could use our points to take a short trip in between WDW visits, maybe. But the tickets and flights/train add up if you don't stay near London. Not really worth it imo, but possibly if we get the hotel "free".

It needs a reason to go back. Don't know what the answer is, but it needs some love. As it is, it is just a stepping stone to Florida, which has so much more to offer for a family holiday.

KBLovedDisney

A 'real' Aladdin ride confirmed.
tumblr_n12t6kVMA51trmkp7o1_500.gif

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Here's the stuff that's pretty much confirmed as happening by insiders, which could certainly be announced at D23 next week:
  • The Mickey Ride
  • UoE to GotG
  • Brazil
  • Rat Ride
  • Gondolas
  • what the Mission Space refurb and update is all about
  • a date for TSL maybe
  • site plans for SWL
  • SW Resort
  • Coronado site plans
  • new Star Tours scene
  • placement of the Clubs 33
  • DL's Fantasmic!!
  • DL's Superhero Land (including Captain America coaster)
  • DL's new deluxe resort
  • Expansions for Hong Kong, Shanghai, and Paris

They may be prevented from talking about the CBR DVC because of arcane DVC advertising laws.

Other things they can talk about if they've come to an internal decision:
  • what ride is going in the UK
  • what they're going to be doing with Tomorrowland including the fate of SGE and Speed Track
  • new Cirque show in 2018
  • rumored refurb of Marketplace
  • opening of The Edison (just kidding, it will never open!)
  • any other Future World refurb
  • new name for DHS
  • new name for Epcot
Nothing for Imagination then?

tmthomas52

If I'm not mistaken last year Star Wars land was not announced during the Parks panel on Sunday. So the question is what other panels have the potential to make a WDW announcement. Three on Friday come to mind. The upcoming films for Pixar and Disney panel has the potential to announce Wreck it Ralph Stitch replacement if that's still on the table or the Coco reimagining of Mexico. The Pirates of the Caribbean history in the parks panel could serve the purpose of discussing the upcoming changes to the auction scene. Also the Original Characters of the Parks panel could be a place where the Mickey attraction replacing GMR would be announced to the public. There is also two other park specific panels on Sunday discussing voices and maps of the park. While these two themes seem unlikely to lend itself to announcement. Does anyone else its likely that one of these panels could potentially be used for an upcoming announcement?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom