Any news on The Tiki Room?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jrn14

I will miss the pre-show with Phill Hartman's voice... that was funny stuff I don't care what anyone says.

Scuttle

I sincerely hope the rumor of variable show scenes comes to pass. Certainly the technology should be able to handle it, it just comes down to taking the time to program several extra scenes.

I really think all of the animatronic-based stage shows could benefit from a little "random" variation built into the show to increase repeat viewings. As the years pass the stage shows seem to be losing more and more viewers and I think the best way to save them is to bring in some random elements.

I could not agree more. I'm sure TDO knows this, but they also know 99% of their income comes from tourist not locals that visit multiple times yearly. I do think that some random elements should be added to the shows COP CBJ TIKI. These shows are in desperate need for some plusing.

aladdin2007

I agree. Something like JIYIWF would be vastle improved if the scent scene had legimately random scents.

Very true, but then that would take imagination to do in there. Oh wait, its the imagination pavilion. Could have fooled me. :lookaroun

flavious27

I hope it isn't back to the same old stuff that it was years ago. The fanboys on here might enjoy it but the majority of the crowds will just use it as another nap area. TDO could do so much better. I'm not liking this whole WDW turning into a museum direction. Museums are not doing well this day and age.

Agreed, I don't expect they will revert back to the 71 show. There is an opportunity to really do more than cloning elements of what dlt does. I know I discussed with someone else about tiki having a bit of the cosmic ray's feel by having the birds act more like they are crooners at a tiki themed lounge and rotating songs from that era along with other disney songs.

lazyboy97o

I hope it isn't back to the same old stuff that it was years ago. The fanboys on here might enjoy it but the majority of the crowds will just use it as another nap area. TDO could do so much better. I'm not liking this whole WDW turning into a museum direction. Museums are not doing well this day and age.
The problem is that many consider audio-animatronic shows to be a dated concept that does not resonate with modern audiences, and thus they consider significant investment to be a waste of money. Would people using the area to nap be much of a change or decline from attendance levels for the Under New Management show?

Krack

The problem is that many consider audio-animatronic shows to be a dated concept that does not resonate with modern audiences, and thus they consider significant investment to be a waste of money.

Who are these people? This makes absolutely no sense. What are the most popular attractions in WDW? Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Splash Mountain, Space Mountain, Peter Pan, probably. Three (four if you count PP) are about as AA-centric as you can be.

What are the removed/modified attractions that people constantly bring up as mistakes by TDO? Horizons, original Tiki Room, original JII (and to a lesser extent WOM and Cranium Command).

Who are these people that don't think AAs are draws? "Hey, I've got an idea, the Haunted Mansion and Pirates have been the most popular attractions in the park for 40 years, if we make something new we better make sure it's nothing like them." :shrug: They made a billion dollars off of Pirates over the last decade, you'd think somebody in management would be trying to figure out how to get a lengthy AA dark ride in every land in every park.

BobMoriarity

"They made a billion dollars off of Pirates over the last decade, you'd think somebody in management would be trying to figure out how to get a lengthy AA dark ride in every land in every park." Krack

I have been a reader of this site for six years and I just registered so I could support this statement. This is the most I have agreed with any statement in regards to Disney attractions. Roller coasters, 3(4)-D movies, and meet-and-greets are great and help fill out the DISNEY PARK EXPEREINCE but if you take away the audio animatronics experiences, you’re taking the soul out of the parks. The superior AA's are what separates Disney Parks from the rest.....(IMO)[/FONT][/COLOR]
RIGHT ON!!!!!

puntagordabob

The problem is that many consider audio-animatronic shows to be a dated concept that does not resonate with modern audiences, and thus they consider significant investment to be a waste of money. Would people using the area to nap be much of a change or decline from attendance levels for the Under New Management show?

You do realize that the new mermaid ride in the FLE is almost entirely comprised of AA characters????

wolf359

The problem is that many consider audio-animatronic shows to be a dated concept that does not resonate with modern audiences...

Who are these people? This makes absolutely no sense. What are the most popular attractions in WDW? Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Splash Mountain, Space Mountain, Peter Pan, probably.

You do realize that the new mermaid ride in the FLE is almost entirely comprised of AA characters????

I'm assuming he's making a distinction between rides and shows, and in this case I think it makes a big difference in the meaning and direction of the discussion.

I'm thinking of attractions like the Tiki Room, Country Bears, Hall of Presidents, Carousel of Progress; shows that rely on a fully animatronic cast that don't involve a ride element.

I also feel like the animatronic theater shows are losing their popularity with the general public, as people seem much more interested in "rides" as opposed to "shows," and I think it's that missing tactile or kinetic factor that makes rides, even very tame ones, seem superior to a static theater presentation. There's also an element of detachment between the audience and the cast of a show that's entirely robotic.

Which is why Disney tried adding more tactile elements to involve the audience in their later attempts. Alien Encounter is a good example of literally bringing the show right up to the guest, and it's probably safe to say that the effort was too successful with that one.

I love the new tech they're using in Turtle Talk and the Laugh Floor because it brings a random element into the presentations that makes it fun to go back multiple times. Sure, it's still fairly scripted, but there's enough difference in every show to make it worth seeing more than once a trip.

But while Disney has been developing new technology and show elements when making new theater shows, not as much has been done to keep the original classic shows quite as cutting edge. Carousel of Progress got a new script, the Country Bears got an alternate show that no longer alternates with the original show anymore, and the Tiki Room got new management...

But these updates really don't solve the rewatching factor. They just re-set the "years until stale" timer back to zero and the countdown begins again. Which is why I think adding some random show elements could help. All of these shows are already computer-controlled and simply play a programmed show, all that would be needed is having a library of show scenes for the computer to choose from and a way to select them randomly.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I'm assuming he's making a distinction between rides and shows, and in this case I think it makes a big difference in the meaning and direction of the discussion.

I'm thinking of attractions like the Tiki Room, Country Bears, Hall of Presidents, Carousel of Progress; shows that rely on a fully animatronic cast that don't involve a ride element.

I also feel like the animatronic theater shows are losing their popularity with the general public, as people seem much more interested in "rides" as opposed to "shows," and I think it's that missing tactile or kinetic factor that makes rides, even very tame ones, seem superior to a static theater presentation. There's also an element of detachment between the audience and the cast of a show that's entirely robotic.

Which is why Disney tried adding more tactile elements to involve the audience in their later attempts. Alien Encounter is a good example of literally bringing the show right up to the guest, and it's probably safe to say that the effort was too successful with that one.

I love the new tech they're using in Turtle Talk and the Laugh Floor because it brings a random element into the presentations that makes it fun to go back multiple times. Sure, it's still fairly scripted, but there's enough difference in every show to make it worth seeing more than once a trip.

But while Disney has been developing new technology and show elements when making new theater shows, not as much has been done to keep the original classic shows quite as cutting edge. Carousel of Progress got a new script, the Country Bears got an alternate show that no longer alternates with the original show anymore, and the Tiki Room got new management...

But these updates really don't solve the rewatching factor. They just re-set the "years until stale" timer back to zero and the countdown begins again. Which is why I think adding some random show elements could help. All of these shows are already computer-controlled and simply play a programmed show, all that would be needed is having a library of show scenes for the computer to choose from and a way to select them randomly.
I would agree. The AA shows just do not have a big reride factor for the average person and they are used as the proverbial nap ride. If they add a bit of randomness to the shows that could change.

David S.

First, as my first post in this thread I will say I am ECSTATICALLY HAPPY at the mere thought of the beloved original Tiki Room show coming back! :) It's a shame it took a fire to make it happen, but I'll take it however we get it!

I guess I'm in the minority, then. CBJ, Tiki Room (especially the original), CoP, and the late great Kitchen Kabaret, Mickey Mouse Revue, and DL's America Sings are among my all-time favorite Disney park attractions, and I've never felt this "element of detachment" that you are referring too. I LOVE fantasy and cute anthropomorphic animals and can completely lose myself in the world of the show, and the "belief" (in the moment) that it's real.

If anything, I'm more likely to feel a sense of detachment from a live show featuring real humans playing real humans (like the late Diamond Horsehoe Revue)

On the flip side, though, these shows depend (IMO, too much) on the audience to make the show funny. Your enjoyment of the show will depend entirely on how funny the audience interaction with Crush is, and how much you enjoy laughing at the audience members. I've seen some Crush shows that were fairly amusing, and others were total duds. I prefer the consistency of a show like CBJ or Tiki where you know exactly what you are getting. Then again, I'm the kind of person that will listen to favorite music and watch the same favorite movies (or in this case, Disney park attractions) over and over again. If something is funny to me once, it will always be funny, and make me laugh each time. And likewise for catchy songs I enjoy.

Regarding Turtle Talk/Monsters Inc, I would say Laugh Floor is TOO aggressive in using the audience for it's humor. Such as putting people's picture on the screen at random and making jokes about them, making them the center of attention without providing a warning that this will happen or offering "safe seats" that won't be potentially filmed. Being "the Son and the Heir of a shyness that is criminally vulgar" (-the Smiths, from "How Soon as Now", 1984), this leaves me no choice but to permanently skip this attraction. So I sincerely hope this sort of thing is NOT the future of Disney park attractions. I want to passively WATCH the show/entertainment, not be PART of the show/entertainment.

But I think your idea of a random factor to the AA musical shows has some merit. If the randomness in this case simply means dfifferent songs for different shows (just as nearly everytime you see Mariachi Cobre or British Invasion it's a somewhat different set), I think that may encouage repeat visits. I would want the "signature" songs like "The Tiki Tiki Room" to always be in the show, and the spirit and tone of the shows to remain consistent from show to show, though.

None of the above is meant to be "argumentative", just my opinion :)

flavious27

First, as my first post in this thread I will say I am ECSTATICALLY HAPPY at the mere thought of the beloved original Tiki Room show coming back! :) It's a shame it took a fire to make it happen, but I'll take it however we get it!

I guess I'm in the minority, then. CBJ, Tiki Room (especially the original), CoP, and the late great Kitchen Kabaret, Mickey Mouse Revue, and DL's America Sings are among my all-time favorite Disney park attractions, and I've never felt this "element of detachment" that you are referring too. I LOVE fantasy and cute anthropomorphic animals and can completely lose myself in the world of the show, and the "belief" (in the moment) that it's real.

If anything, I'm more likely to feel a sense of detachment from a live show featuring real humans playing real humans (like the late Diamond Horsehoe Revue)

On the flip side, though, these shows depend (IMO, too much) on the audience to make the show funny. Your enjoyment of the show will depend entirely on how funny the audience interaction with Crush is, and how much you enjoy laughing at the audience members. I've seen some Crush shows that were fairly amusing, and others were total duds. I prefer the consistency of a show like CBJ or Tiki where you know exactly what you are getting. Then again, I'm the kind of person that will listen to favorite music and watch the same favorite movies (or in this case, Disney park attractions) over and over again. If something is funny to me once, it will always be funny, and make me laugh each time. And likewise for catchy songs I enjoy.

Regarding Turtle Talk/Monsters Inc, I would say Laugh Floor is TOO aggressive in using the audience for it's humor. Such as putting people's picture on the screen at random and making jokes about them, making them the center of attention without providing a warning that this will happen or offering "safe seats" that won't be potentially filmed. Being "the Son and the Heir of a shyness that is criminally vulgar" (-the Smiths, from "How Soon as Now", 1984), this leaves me no choice but to permanently skip this attraction. So I sincerely hope this sort of thing is NOT the future of Disney park attractions. I want to passively WATCH the show/entertainment, not be PART of the show/entertainment.

But I think your idea of a random factor to the AA musical shows has some merit. If the randomness in this case simply means dfifferent songs for different shows (just as nearly everytime you see Mariachi Cobre or British Invasion it's a somewhat different set), I think that may encouage repeat visits. I would want the "signature" songs like "The Tiki Tiki Room" to always be in the show, and the spirit and tone of the shows to remain consistent from show to show, though.

Agreed, I think that the audience response attractions work best when focused towards children. Kids are going to get alot more into the attraction than a more adult audience. Tiki could involve the audience in singing along and responding to the feedback to the show. A rotating show would make each show unique and enjoyable.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member

Re: audience interaction. Many of the street shows at Epcot also involve audience interaction that is not always pursuant to volunteering. As somebody who was incredibly shy as a child, I always feared such things. But it is actually those very kind of interactive pieces of entertainment that helped me get over my shyness. I got picked and put on screen, or held the prop as requested, or whatever...and wasn't in any way harmed beyond the feeling of fear while it was happening. It's stuff like that that actually convinced me that I could get over my shyness.

That said, AA shows with randomness would provide a different kind of "different each time you go" experience than audience interaction, and therefore would be, I think, a great addition to provide varying kinds of experiences, which Disney is a master of.

Once Star Tours with its myriad of possible show paths results in packed shuttles at all hours of the day and night, I suspect we'll see Disney do more of that kind of thing. Here's hoping they start it a little earlier with a Tiki redo.

lazyboy97o

Who are these people? This makes absolutely no sense. What are the most popular attractions in WDW? Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Splash Mountain, Space Mountain, Peter Pan, probably. Three (four if you count PP) are about as AA-centric as you can be.

What are the removed/modified attractions that people constantly bring up as mistakes by TDO? Horizons, original Tiki Room, original JII (and to a lesser extent WOM and Cranium Command).

Who are these people that don't think AAs are draws? "Hey, I've got an idea, the Haunted Mansion and Pirates have been the most popular attractions in the park for 40 years, if we make something new we better make sure it's nothing like them." :shrug: They made a billion dollars off of Pirates over the last decade, you'd think somebody in management would be trying to figure out how to get a lengthy AA dark ride in every land in every park.
It is not an issue of fans or even nostalgia. The reasons those attractions closed or were redone was due to exactly what I said. Carousel of Progress seemed to have been on the chopping block for years. People were surprised to see Disney actually put significant investment into the Hall of Presidents. The Enchanted Tiki Room got a show mocking the original. The Country Bears closed at Disneyland, where everybody claims the old shows can survive due to the fans. Large expense, limited capacity (especially with shows) and limited repeatability (again primarily with shows) all help to make these types of endeavors less popular to those running the show.

Yes, and it was Burbank that made the decision to build. When was the last time Disney had a similar endeavor on its own dime? Why are both The Little Mermaid and Radiator Springs Racers tied to known and proven properties? The doubt about the viability of an animatronics focus was still present.

Krack

It is not an issue of fans or even nostalgia. The reasons those attractions closed or were redone was due to exactly what I said. Carousel of Progress seemed to have been on the chopping block for years. People were surprised to see Disney actually put significant investment into the Hall of Presidents. The Enchanted Tiki Room got a show mocking the original. The Country Bears closed at Disneyland, where everybody claims the old shows can survive due to the fans. Large expense, limited capacity (especially with shows) and limited repeatability (again primarily with shows) all help to make these types of endeavors less popular to those running the show

I didn't say you were wrong. I asked you a question ("who are these people?") because I am saying those people are wrong. There's a difference.

Also, to address one of your other points, the Country Bears exited Disneyland as one of the last acts of the Paul Pressler era. It was shortly after when TDA started taking their fanbase seriously (mostly because DCA was so terrible they were afraid the only way to get people to treat it respectfully was to build up goodwill with the regulars). It is my own opinion that, if the same decision was being made today, TDA never would have replaced the Country Bears with Pooh (unless they were planning on moving the Bears to DCA). It was a different mindset at the time; TDA was treating it's APers like TDO treats it's APers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom