Any news on The Tiki Room?

Status
Not open for further replies.

David S.

There are plenty of differences in the two attractions. I can rattle off a few...

MK...Single file seating; DL...Two across -- Result, DL more comfortable with higher capacity on the one track, but MK has two tracks

MK...ambient sound effects/music; DL...onboard speakers and soundtrack -- Result, very diffierent audio experiences

MK...more abrupt curves and drops; DL...new smooth track -- Resut is a very different ride experience

MK...Space station props during ride; DL...space station model in launch area

MK...Semi-rehab a couple years ago; DL...complete rebuild about 5 years ago

...and I could go on forever

I happen to enjoy the MK version better. I like the sound effect set-up better, because it seems like you are passing the stuff making the sounds, rather than hearning the equivalent of a car radio. I also prefer the somewhat wilder ride and the worst of the movements (which could be painful) seem to have been fixed during the semi-rehab a while ago. But the DL version has an all-new track and better cars, and is preferred by a significant majority of people who have ridden both recently.

Yes, I prefer the MK version as well, especially from a thrills point of view. I like the low single-file seating, and the rapid-fire series of abrupt straight drops in the sweet middle third of the ride, which in turn produce several moments of DELICIOUS abrubt backseat AIRTIME!

And there is a really strong pop of front-seat air just before these drops begin (more noticeable on Omega Track).

I don't mind the alleged "roughness" of the WDW version - in fact, I like my coasters on the "rough", aggressive side (such as wooden coasters).

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Yes, I prefer the MK version as well, especially from a thrills point of view. I like the low single-file seating, and the rapid-fire series of abrupt straight drops in the sweet middle third of the ride, which in turn produce several moments of DELICIOUS abrubt backseat AIRTIME!

And there is a really strong pop of front-seat air just before these drops begin (more noticeable on Omega Track).

I don't mind the alleged "roughness" of the WDW version - in fact, I like my coasters on the "rough", aggressive side (such as wooden coasters).

Huge fan of The Grizzly at Kings Dominion, in VA. Right up your alley.....

David S.

Yes, I've been on Grizzly a bunch of times on various trips to the area, and I LOVE it! One of my favorite parts is the tunnel on the first "back" leg, which has a small surprise "bunny hop" inside of it, with a nice pop of airtime, while the track is turning inside the tunnel. So you get lifted out of your seat while being thrown to the side at the same time, while in the tunnel! One of the great wooden coaster moments I've experienced.

I also really enjoyed the other two large wooden coasters at King's Dominion, Hurler and Rebel Yell, and the park in general. Virginia is really a great state for parks and coasters, as it also features the beautiful Busch Gardens Williamsburg, which is home to one of my favorite steel coasters, Apollo's Chariot.

Duckberg

Wait to see what happens, but powers @ Disney have treated the DL Tikki Room different from the WDW version :confused:

wayneway

This may sound crazy....

If they really update the Tiki Room and go digital then why not make the new show interactive, each audience member could vote on a keypad at their seat:

A: Original Show

B: Rock Version

C: Disco Version

D: Theme Park Version..(Grim Grinning Ghost, Yo Ho a Pirates life for me, Laughing Place, even a short small world segment, when you wish upon a star..etc etc)

Or any other theme or music genre but no Iago!

Maybe crazy...maybe it would work?:wave:

aladdin2007

This may sound crazy....

If they really update the Tiki Room and go digital then why not make the new show interactive, each audience member could vote on a keypad at their seat:

D: Theme Park Version..(Grim Grinning Ghost, Yo Ho a Pirates life for me, Laughing Place, even a short small world segment, when you wish upon a star..etc etc)

Or any other theme or music genre

Sounds like fun ideas to me. The best of all worlds/versions. But looks like they are going for the simplest fastest route by installing one show, and something they can use as a classic return and 40th anniversary tie in.
That themepark version would be fun just for the heck of it.

Mammymouse

This may sound crazy....

Or any other theme or music genre but no Iago!

What a GREAT idea for getting an old out of date, nobody goes to attraction updated to an interesting fresh show that would draw crowds again! And on the cheap for TDO, too!!

disnyfan89

Wasn't able to get pictures but, the UNM sign out front is still there. The walls do not cover the turnstiles and only start where the rows for the preshow viewing start. They follow all the way around blocking the preshow area. From what glimpses I could get through the wall (Its mostly fabric) it does not look like any major work is going on... yet.

aladdin2007

Wasn't able to get pictures but, the UNM sign out front is still there. The walls do not cover the turnstiles and only start where the rows for the preshow viewing start. They follow all the way around blocking the preshow area. From what glimpses I could get through the wall (Its mostly fabric) it does not look like any major work is going on... yet.

Thanks sounds interesting. Im thinking the main sign could be one of the last steps in the process before reopening. Although that certainly hasnt been the case with Town Square Theater, but just thinking.

puntagordabob

Thanks sounds interesting. Im thinking the main sign could be one of the last steps in the process before reopening. Although that certainly hasnt been the case with Town Square Theater, but just thinking.

I imagine with as fast as they can work their magic at Disney: one evening the UNM sign will be there outside...the next morning something else is in its place! :)

The Duck

As far as the UNM sign is concerned, they're probably waiting til the show is almost ready to reopen before they make any changes. We have to remember that the average WDW guest doesn't have a clue about the fire and what may be going on behind the construction wall. It's only us Disney Geeks who are aware of the "inside scoop" ;).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom