Any news on The Tiki Room?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChuckFromCanada

Parrothead & Disney Fanatic.
Tiki Room reopening date pushed further back

Wonder if this has anything to do with removing Glibert Godfrieds voice over due to his unpleasent tweets this past weekend.

menamechris

We can only hope.... Anything would be an improvement. Hopefully, they will just return it to the original show. July 1, huh? Wow, how convenient! Add it to the list of "special" Summer Nightastic offerings. Ha! :p

LilMommyBug

Oh man - this is great!! I have never seen the original - my husband told me about it & I have always wanted to see it. I cannot stand the sound of Gilbert Gottfried's voice, so I have only seen UNM one time.

trr1

weren't other things at WDW closed for refurb only to be closed permanently?:shrug: (20k,river country)

trr1

just asking
weren't other things at WDW closed for refurb only to be closed permanently?:shrug: (20k,river country)

ChuckFromCanada

Parrothead & Disney Fanatic.
I doubt it will close permanantly...20k and RC were both closed due to other issues...leaking into Utilidors....contamination issues...handicap accesiblity etc, Tiki room may be refurbed into another variant but doubt it will disappear.

menamechris

Well, even if they decided to close it all together, they would need to replace it with something. I really don't think Pirates and the carpet ride can hold up Adventureland alone. There really should be a 3rd attraction. (And yes, I left the tree house out intentionally). :)

WDWFigment

*** Not a personal attack. *** :wave:

I am SICK of hearing certain people in the company use this as an excuse for low quality attractions. I know that's not your intention, yet some execs really do flippantly say that to justify poor decisions.

Walt's statement reflects the desire to do things better, and to keep progressing rather than remaining stagnant. Upgrading the Jungle Cruise, HM, or POTC represents his wish of not being a museum. Replacing mediocre attractions with better ones does, too. But a decision producing a lesser experience or poorer quality cannot be protected by the "not a museum" argument. Example: Do those people really think Walt would have preferred Imagination 2.0 to the original? Change can be good, but change for its own sake is usually destructive.

Furthermore, Walt was wise enough to know when he had a good thing going and simply needed to augment it, versus when something needed to be replaced outright. When Mickey and Minnie didn't provide enough plotlines, he added Goofy and Donald—he didn't simply replace Mickey. When the original JC wasn't working, he had Marc Davis devise a more comical attraction. But when "Pinocchio" didn't match his vision, he scrapped half the film and restarted.

Was the original Tiki Room stale in the early 90s? Yep. Crowds had fallen in both Orlando and Tokyo. However, the Orlando team took a flippant "not a museum" approach and gave us the obnoxious UNM, while Tokyo took care to maintain the original spirit and produced the superior "Get the Fever." And Tokyo was wise enough to know when "Fever" needed to be replaced. In 2010, Orlando was still suffering through tired 90s clichés.

The phrase "not a museum" only works if the museum has a good curator.

Crazy, this reads almost exactly like something I've written before! I was actually going to write something similar in this thread, but you beat me to it. You seem to do that a lot! (Fine by me, saves me keystrokes!)

I swear you must be able to read my mind.

In any case, I approve of this message.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
just asking
Yes but there were numerous reason why 20k and RC closed the number one being a negative return. They were also closed when they were in full working order. The Tiki room doesn't not have such a problem and was not in working order when it closed for a repair.

ryanduggers

The voice of Iago, Gilbert Godfreid, was just fired as the Aflac duck for making rude tweets about the Japanese earthquake.

Let's hope he is soon fired from the Tiki Room.....

....it is a sign from above....:fork:

Bimmy56

I definitely think that it is not a coincidence that Gilbert Gottfried went way to far and the next day Disney announces that the Tiki Room is having an extended make-over. Most hated the new show anyway.

Pioneer Hall

Well, even if they decided to close it all together, they would need to replace it with something. I really don't think Pirates and the carpet ride can hold up Adventureland alone. There really should be a 3rd attraction. (And yes, I left the tree house out intentionally). :)

Jungle Cruise?

fractal

Wonder if this has anything to do with removing Glibert Godfrieds voice over due to his unpleasent tweets this past weekend.

Let's hope so. I can't stand him or his voice. He has no class and the sooner Disney cuts all ties with him the better IMO.

sublimesting

Did you leave Jungle Cruise out intentionally as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom