Any news on The Tiki Room?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tirian

I understand that we all love what we love, but recently I heard it mentioned that Walt never intended the parks to be museums. He placed the stated goal of always trying new things, to always be pushing the envelope and to always be tweaking attractions.

*** Not a personal attack. *** :wave:

I am SICK of hearing certain people in the company use this as an excuse for low quality attractions. I know that's not your intention, yet some execs really do flippantly say that to justify poor decisions.

Walt's statement reflects the desire to do things better, and to keep progressing rather than remaining stagnant. Upgrading the Jungle Cruise, HM, or POTC represents his wish of not being a museum. Replacing mediocre attractions with better ones does, too. But a decision producing a lesser experience or poorer quality cannot be protected by the "not a museum" argument. Example: Do those people really think Walt would have preferred Imagination 2.0 to the original? Change can be good, but change for its own sake is usually destructive.

Furthermore, Walt was wise enough to know when he had a good thing going and simply needed to augment it, versus when something needed to be replaced outright. When Mickey and Minnie didn't provide enough plotlines, he added Goofy and Donald—he didn't simply replace Mickey. When the original JC wasn't working, he had Marc Davis devise a more comical attraction. But when "Pinocchio" didn't match his vision, he scrapped half the film and restarted.

Was the original Tiki Room stale in the early 90s? Yep. Crowds had fallen in both Orlando and Tokyo. However, the Orlando team took a flippant "not a museum" approach and gave us the obnoxious UNM, while Tokyo took care to maintain the original spirit and produced the superior "Get the Fever." And Tokyo was wise enough to know when "Fever" needed to be replaced. In 2010, Orlando was still suffering through tired 90s clichés.

The phrase "not a museum" only works if the parks have a good curator.

My five year old son and I were at MK the night of the fire. The Tiki Room was one of the main things he wanted to do. Unfortunately, we kinda rushed from place to place all night and didn't make it over there. Had we gone, it would've been just before the fire (we were on that side of the park in the early evening). He cried in the car on the way home when he realized we never made it over there. It wasn't until the next day that we found out about the fire.
Despite having gone to Disney World four times, I had never seen the Tiki Room show. I saw it for the first time around 3:30pm on the day of the fire. Talk about lucky! Having never seen the original, I can't make any comparisons, so the Under New Management show was really enjoyable for me.

Buried20KLeague

By the way... If this ends up being correct and we get something close to the original show back, well...

It would be horrible if, say, a small fire started in the attic of SGE, MILF, and the final scene of CoP.

Just sayin'. :lookaroun

We might have finally figured out how to get something actually DONE around the MK... :drevil:

dxwwf3

By the way... If this ends up being correct and we get something close to the original show back, well...

It would be horrible if, say, a small fire started in the attic of SGE, MILF, and the final scene of CoP.

Burn baby burn :fork:

:animwink:

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Despite having gone to Disney World four times, I had never seen the Tiki Room show. I saw it for the first time around 3:30pm on the day of the fire. Talk about lucky! Having never seen the original, I can't make any comparisons, so the Under New Management show was really enjoyable for me.

I also have enjoyed UNM. It is stale, but still enjoyable. But the original (and the current DLR version) was vastly superior, I believe.

Just sayin'. :lookaroun

We might have finally figured out how to get something actually DONE around the MK... :drevil:

Please, please, PLEASE! :cry:

Krack

Interesting....after my earlier posts in this thread, I expected the folks who used to rail against the "stitchification" of the parks to chime in en masse. Instead I see some praise for the TDL stitch show. I'd like to be clear to all where I stand. I love the original and hate UNM. I understand some like it, but I found it completely revolting. That being said, I'm not against updating or the inclusion of new elements, even bringing the TDL Stitch show to WDW. My preference is for restoration of the original, but if an update keeps the feel and theming of the original by and large in place, (and hopefully some of the original songs), I would have no problem with that.

In defense of the "Keep Stitch as far away from anything built before 2002 as humanly possible" crowd (of which I admit I am a member), sometimes it becomes tiresome to restate the case over and over again. Nothing we believe has changed (Stitch is still oversaturated in the parks, Stitch has still ruined Alien Encounter, the original Tiki Room is still a classic, the Disneyland version is an enjoyable experience) since the last time this was argued on the boards, or the time before that, or the time before that ...

I wouldn't note a lack of people becoming exasperated with you as a change in conventional wisdom towards Stitch, the current WDW Tiki Room, the original Tiki Room, or the Tokyo Tiki Room.

In other words, I found your suggestion exasperating (again, as I always do when someone suggests it), but I just didn't feel like having an argument. I'm sure others feel the same way. It's like discussing strollers, electric wheel chairs, the dining plan, etc.

Just something I`ve heard.

:)

Neverland

I understand that we all love what we love, but recently I heard it mentioned that Walt never intended the parks to be museums. He placed the stated goal of always trying new things, to always be pushing the envelope and to always be tweaking attractions.

Personally, I hope they are creating a new and different show. Sure, it should incorporate some of the great things that worked, and pay homage to prior versions, but be unique.

But nowadays 'new' = character tie-in. We could end up with this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_t4r6JhLVYA#t=8s

:lookaroun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom