Any news on The Tiki Room?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmick71

Fast forward a year and try to predict the comments (even on this board) :

"Man, the original tiki birds is sooo 1960s .. I vote for new mgmt!"

ha

im with you on this, disney needs to figure out a new story for tiki room, Not 100% old version, and no character references ( like what they did with UNM)
it needs to be fresh for the 21 century( but not too fresh like UNM), there needs to be a balance. or else we will prob be bak in the same situation that we were in the past

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
im with you on this, disney needs to figure out a new story for tiki room, Not 100% old version, and no character references ( like what they did with UNM)
it needs to be fresh for the 21 century( but not too fresh like UNM), there needs to be a balance. or else we will prob be bak in the same situation that we were in the past

I'm ok with a new show. I do think it would be nice if they
a) used this fire/refurb time to upgrade any infrastructure that they have (sound, lighting, upgrade AA, digital programming)
b) installed some version of the original show for the celebration of the 40th anniversary
c) while that show is running, work on a new updated show that still keeps to the spirit of the original show, while moves forward in a new direction.

It's a lot to ask, but when the most supportive comments for UNM seem to be "It's a nice place to sit in Air Conditioning for a few minutes", I think they need to look at something that will draw in crowds.

jmick71

I'm ok with a new show. I do think it would be nice if they
a) used this fire/refurb time to upgrade any infrastructure that they have (sound, lighting, upgrade AA, digital programming)
b) installed some version of the original show for the celebration of the 40th anniversary
c) while that show is running, work on a new updated show that still keeps to the spirit of the original show, while moves forward in a new direction.

It's a lot to ask, but when the most supportive comments for UNM seem to be "It's a nice place to sit in Air Conditioning for a few minutes", I think they need to look at something that will draw in crowds.

i agree with you about doing a 40th celebration show (temporarily!) think most people will get tired of it in a short time. so yah like what you said "while that show is running, work on a new updated show"

pumpkin7

if they wanted to update it after reinitialising the original for a bit, they could just take the skins off all the birds and scare the crap out of all the kids. robot tiki room!

tirian

Just got back from Disneyland - I had forgotten how quaint, nostalgic and boring the original (even re-edited) tiki room show was. The ONLY thing entertaining about it was the group of folks who had obviously visited their own "Laughing place" before heading over to the park and were performing a better - more active and engaging show in the aisles. My wife's first comment was - "wow the other one is so much better, my 6 yo son fell asleep and my 2 yo daughter was mildly amused. The last time we were at Disneyworld - UMN was his favorite attraction. You guys gotta remember that we must adapt, change and remain relevant to each new generation - not simply cater to your own nostalgic and inflexible views. You have your memories - now let new generations create their own. Do I think UMN was perfect - no. Do I think the original was groundbreaking FOR ITS TIME - yes. Is it time to find a new way - possible new show to entertain - yes. Is resetting the show back 50 years the best way - not in my opinion.

Funny; you're the only person I've ever heard say this, and it's your first post. Someone's going to call you a troll—but not me. :lol:

SouthernDreamer

My husband LOVES the Tiki room, and I never knew why, but he grew up in CA. So we went to the UNM one at WDW, and we all hated it. My son, who is 5 LOVES the original song. We went to the one at DL, and it was better. I still wanted to fall asleep, but DH and DS enjoyed. It gets a little long and boring toward the end. But anything is better than the silly songs they played at UNM. I don't even think that was for the new generation...seemed like old disco-type and outdated pop songs. Miserable!

I agree that Disney has to stay current, but some of their attractions are kept for the nostalgia. Tiki Room isn't a hip attraction...it's of the nostalgia variety. Disney is also about reliving your childhood so you have to have some things that people recognize. I say bring back the original or at least the original song and do better with the rest!

flavious27

Fast forward a year and try to predict the comments (even on this board) :

"Man, the original tiki birds is sooo 1960s .. I vote for new mgmt!"

ha

I would like to see them perform a tasteful update where they rotate through a library of songs in the tiki lounge genre.

jmick71

I would like to see them perform a tasteful update where they rotate through a library of songs in the tiki lounge genre.

thats a good idea they would have the original song first, then different songs that will keep it interesting. love it:D

flavious27

thats a good idea they would have the original song first, then different songs that will keep it interesting. love it:D

Exactly, this would keep tiki fresh by constantly updating the playlist. I would like to see disney working with Kal David to update Sonny's show and also see if he could work for tiki.

trr1

Just got back from Disneyland - I had forgotten how quaint, nostalgic and boring the original (even re-edited) tiki room show was. The ONLY thing entertaining about it was the group of folks who had obviously visited their own "Laughing place" before heading over to the park and were performing a better - more active and engaging show in the aisles. My wife's first comment was - "wow the other one is so much better, my 6 yo son fell asleep and my 2 yo daughter was mildly amused. The last time we were at Disneyworld - UMN was his favorite attraction. You guys gotta remember that we must adapt, change and remain relevant to each new generation - not simply cater to your own nostalgic and inflexible views. You have your memories - now let new generations create their own. Do I think UMN was perfect - no. Do I think the original was groundbreaking FOR ITS TIME - yes. Is it time to find a new way - possible new show to entertain - yes. Is resetting the show back 50 years the best way - not in my opinion.
Welcome to the forum and thank you for your opinion:wave:

bhodge

you guys hit it on the head with the idea of keeping some of the old - yet rotating songs in and making fresh and relevant yet still being quaint and nostalgic. With all of the new emphasis on alternate endings and ways to ensure repeat visits - I would think this would already be in the works. I DO think UNM needs to go away - it is no longer new or relevant. The reactions from my family however does indicate that there is a desire for something more than JUST reliving childhood memories over and over the exact same way. That is why they are called memories - you remember them, cherish them and continually look every day for new ways to create amazing NEW memories. I look forward to seeing if Disney embraces this philosophy with this attraction and possible changes - or if they cop out and bring back what they had (UNM) OR give in to pressure from "preservationists" and just bring back the original. Either way we are deprived of the potential to create some amazing NEW memories

zooey

you guys hit it on the head with the idea of keeping some of the old - yet rotating songs in and making fresh and relevant yet still being quaint and nostalgic. With all of the new emphasis on alternate endings and ways to ensure repeat visits - I would think this would already be in the works. I DO think UNM needs to go away - it is no longer new or relevant. The reactions from my family however does indicate that there is a desire for something more than JUST reliving childhood memories over and over the exact same way. That is why they are called memories - you remember them, cherish them and continually look every day for new ways to create amazing NEW memories. I look forward to seeing if Disney embraces this philosophy with this attraction and possible changes - or if they cop out and bring back what they had (UNM) OR give in to pressure from "preservationists" and just bring back the original. Either way we are deprived of the potential to create some amazing NEW memories

Well, that's like, your opinion, man.

futurecastmembr

I'm really not going to get my hopes up about this. It would be awesome if done right but I don't trust whatever team is running things there after the HM "additions". For the past few years WDW management has gotten a bad rep. and they really aren't known for doing things just to make the parks better. Again, I would LOVE to see the original return as it should but I don't want to see it done half a$$ed.

Thrill

Plenty of places for that:

-Stitch's Great Escape
-Tomorrowland expansion pad (rumored for Tron attraction)
-Monster's Inc. Laugh Floor (good show, better in DHS)
-Snow White's Scary Adventures (once the new ride is in)
-Adventureland expansion pad (once rumored for Fire Mountain, which was most likely a false rumor, but I believe the land is there)
-Enough land for several new countries in World Showcase
-Germany ride
-Italy ride
-Japan ride
-Imagination (the whole thing)
-Wonders of Life
-Odyssey building
-Sounds Dangerous
-American Idol
-Backlot Tour
-Sunset Boulevard expansion pad
-Set One
-Animation Building
-Nearly Magic Kingdom sized expansion pad in Asia at Animal Kingdom
-Camp Minnie Mickey
-Pleasure Island/Hyperion Wharf

No need to kill a classic. Especially one made by Walt himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom