Any news on The Tiki Room?

Status
Not open for further replies.

J.E.Smith

Well is the sign the original with the unm nailed to it, or is it a new sign altogether?

No this is what it looked like before:

6d4f1480.jpg

Though if the original comes back they'll probably just keep the current sign and just take off the part that says UNM.

lazyboy97o

What a GREAT idea for getting an old out of date, nobody goes to attraction updated to an interesting fresh show that would draw crowds again! And on the cheap for TDO, too!!
Cheap? How so? Multiple shows would all have to be written, produced and programmed. The only savings would be in equipment as they would all run on common controls and use the same figures. Everything else would still have to be done from scratch.

startraveler

Stitch kingdom website is now reporting that it is confirmed that the original Tiki Room will return. On the same report they show some blurry pictures of the magic "backstage" where Mickey will do meet and greet. Also that the Fairies would return to MK. Don't know anything about their reliability. But worth a look.

flavious27

Stitch kingdom website is now reporting that it is confirmed that the original Tiki Room will return. On the same report they show some blurry pictures of the magic "backstage" where Mickey will do meet and greet. Also that the Fairies would return to MK. Don't know anything about their reliability. But worth a look.

As with anything on the boards, it is taken with a grain of salt.

jokerjames94

I hope they bring back something like the original. When I went on UNM last year no one looked entertained and even the little kids complained about it. It was difficult to watch. Thankfully they're changing it up.

Magicot

Uhh.. "breaking news" from Stitch Kingdom? Reported it here first.. weeks ago. :brick:

lazyboy97o

the powers at disney have always treated dl and mk differently, the clientele are different.
OneDisney is working to change all of that.

I hope they bring back something like the original. When I went on UNM last year no one looked entertained and even the little kids complained about it. It was difficult to watch. Thankfully they're changing it up.
It is odd that the "Under New Management" show happened at the Magic Kingdom, as the show requires a knowledge of and certain attitude towards the original show. So much of the decision making is built around the rare and once in a lifetime visitors, and yet here is this attraction that is oddly aimed at a very small group that returns frequently, remembers the old show and disliked the old show, but still decided to step in and give the new show a chance.

hosewater

It is odd that the "Under New Management" show happened at the Magic Kingdom, as the show requires a knowledge of and certain attitude towards the original show. So much of the decision making is built around the rare and once in a lifetime visitors, and yet here is this attraction that is oddly aimed at a very small group that returns frequently, remembers the old show and disliked the old show, but still decided to step in and give the new show a chance.

Great point. Perhaps this was part of a grand experiment to start treating WDW like DL and since it failed, they just gave up?? Nah...they'd never do something like that. Now where is my Pal Mickey?

tikibird

Any updates to this? It is now March and I haven't been to WDW yet this year (this may be a record), because I refuse to go without seeing my favorite attraction.

I'm really hoping that the original show will return and I WANT MY BIRDS BACK!!!!

aladdin2007

Any updates to this? It is now March and I haven't been to WDW yet this year (this may be a record), because I refuse to go without seeing my favorite attraction.

I'm really hoping that the original show will return and I WANT MY BIRDS BACK!!!!

Check out the other Tiki thread going on, its more informative and active. But yes the original show is returning this summer.

mharrington

Enchanted Tiki Room - Under OLD Management?

This should bring a smile to the faces of a lot of WDW fans, including myself. According to Stitch Kingdom:

We are certain, we have been sitting on reports that when it re-opens, the Enchanted Tiki Room will no longer be under new management and will instead be returned to its original glory. Perhaps even more gratifying to many, sources have told us that Iago will find himself relocated to an Audio Animatronics graveyard located at Disney’s Animal Kingdom where he will become fodder for Imagineers looking to hone their skills. The attraction currently has no known re-opening date, although it’s assumed to be July 1, 2011 at this time as the official site has it listed as closed through June 30.

Once again, this should make a lot of WDW fans, me included, happy, especially when you consider that the 40th is coming up fast!

WDWmazprty

This may be another reason why Iago's not coming back-

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/gilbert-gottfried-fired-as-aflac-167382

Gilbert Gottfried Fired as Aflac Duck After Japan Tweets
5:36 PM 3/14/2011 by Mark Cina

gilbert-2011-a-o.jpg

Kevin Winter/Getty Images

The insurer blasts the comic for a series of earthquake and tsunami jokes that are “lacking in humor.”

Aflac Inc. has severed ties with comic Gilbert Gottfried, the longtime voice of the insurer’s duck mascot, after he made a series of crude jokes about the Japan earthquake and tsunami via Twitter.
“Gilbert’s recent comments about the crisis in Japan were lacking in humor and certainly do not represent the thoughts and feelings of anyone at Aflac,” Aflac Senior Vice President and Chief Marketing Officer Michael Zuna said in a statement Monday, reports TMZ. “There is no place for anything but compassion and concern during these difficult times.”

A “nationwide casting call” is now underway to find a new voice for its duck.

Aflac, which does 75 percent of its business in Japan, also plans to donate ¥100 million to disaster relief.

Gottfried has yet to apologize for the jokes, which included: "I just split up with my girlfriend, but like the Japanese say, 'They'll be another one floating by any minute now.’”

Gottfried is no stranger to controversy.

Three weeks after 9/11, he made light of the tragedy at a Friars Club roast for Playboy founder Hugh Hefner, reports The New York Times. He said that he had tried to catch a plane but couldn't get a direct flight because "they said they have to stop off at the Empire State Building." The joke prompted boos from the audience.

It might have helped Disneys decision to scrap Iago from the attraction.
Either way, Im glad it'll go back to the way it was. :D

Pioneer Hall

If true, I suppose that it will be a nice change for those of us that liked the old show. The Florida version just never got the love that the DL version still has that plays to packed houses everyday. It will also be a nice marketing ploy for them as the "re-imagine" a classic back to it's original for the anniversary.

I also don't think the Gottfried jokes had anything to do with this decision. This plan would have had to be put in place before those comments came out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom