Any new thunder mountain info?

celluloid

The shaking and quaking rocks worked for a very long time after. Some were working up to a couple years ago. It is a shame that they just seem to give up on that entire scene. It was a fantastic build up to the final coaster run and it gave the tilting effect of the coaster track on that lift a much more powerful atmosphere.

mitchk

:shrug: I was last there in Jan 2010 (man.. long time) the side rocks were working then. As far as the falling rocks at the top of the track :shrug: I think I saw them back in like 2001, or 2002, but I'm not quite sure:confused: I know for a fact the old projection of falling rocks, or whatever, was there since at least 2005 :wave:

Victor Kelly

If I remember right the actual falling rocks disappeared in the early 90s. The moving rocks stayed until an accident in DLP a few years back.

diznyboyz

left disney yesterday

We were at disney this past week.... Thunder Mountain was working Monday morning. We returned Friday for our last round of rides at Magic Kingdom. We were in line mid-late afternoon at Thunder Mountain and then the announcement came that the ride was closed. I felt sorry for the people riding in the car that was on its way up, getting ready to go down.... it rained most of the week, but not bad enough to slow us down!!

Tom Morrow

Thanks, Martin! I didn't know there were ever rocks that physically fell like that.

Also, everyone, notice in that video that the projection is correct. So that means:

1. it IS a projection of rocks falling, not steam.
2. it currently IS installed upside down.

Tom

Beta Return
The original physical falling rocks effect:

http://youtu.be/6JraYG7ldIE

The original Tumbleweed flash flood rushing waters:

wIMG_6610.jpg

wIMG_6583.jpg

Wow! I NEVER saw those falling rocks. I have seen the walls shake, but never those boulders falling at the top. Was that a projection back then too? It actually looked good.

I wish they'd apply a bit more braking when going into Tumbleweed so riders could enjoy the detail there. All I know is that there's water. If it moves, or ever moved, I wouldn't notice.

Tom Morrow

It has slipped so far that a projected image can be installed upside down and left that way for several months.

I just feel like this needs to be re-iterated. People know of stuff like the yeti, but they don't always know of the hundreds of small details like this.

Scuttle

It has slipped so far that a projected image can be installed upside down and left that way for several months.

I just feel like this needs to be re-iterated. People know of stuff like the yeti, but they don't always know of the hundreds of small details like this.

I agree. It's all throughout WDW and it's just getting worse day by day. Rovers tail in scene 2 or 3 of CoP (I can't remember) is so loud it ruins the entire scene and it obviously just needs to be lubricated to get quiet. That's just the newest maintenance issue I have seen. Another I can't stand right now is the broken printing press wheel in SSE. It'll never end and it's so freaking sad to see WDW in the current state it is in.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Wow! I NEVER saw those falling rocks. I have seen the walls shake, but never those boulders falling at the top. Was that a projection back then too? It actually looked good.
It did didn't it? There were 5 physical rocks on poles attached to vertical rails. With the added lighting the shadows they also produced looked perfect.

There was a simple spinning gobo type projection on the rear wall too, yes.

Nowadays we're lucky if something like that works...

Tom

Beta Return
It did didn't it? There were 5 physical rocks on poles attached to vertical rails. With the added lighting the shadows they also produced looked perfect.

There was a simple spinning gobo type projection on the rear wall too, yes.

Nowadays we're lucky if something like that works...

Having just been to Uni for the first time, I'm thinking they could make use of the video system used in one of the opening scenes of Disaster, where Christopher Walken walks around and chats on stage. It's like a 3D hologram - no idea what type of technology it is.....but I'm sure it could be put to good use in the types of situations we're discussing.

Lee

Adventurer
Having just been to Uni for the first time, I'm thinking they could make use of the video system used in one of the opening scenes of Disaster, where Christopher Walken walks around and chats on stage. It's like a 3D hologram - no idea what type of technology it is.....but I'm sure it could be put to good use in the types of situations we're discussing.

Same way they did Tupac at Coachella. Like a video Pepper's Ghost.
A great effect.

Tom

Beta Return
Same way they did Tupac at Coachella. Like a video Pepper's Ghost.
A great effect.

So it's literally a projection on an angled piece of glass? I'm sure it's a bit more detailed, since projections don't appear that vivid on plain glass, but it's VERY impressive.

GLaDOS

So it's literally a projection on an angled piece of glass? I'm sure it's a bit more detailed, since projections don't appear that vivid on plain glass, but it's VERY impressive.

I believe, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, it's on a scrim instead of a plane of glass.

They use the same effect in the Forbidden Journey queue.

Tom

Beta Return
I believe, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, it's on a scrim instead of a plane of glass.

They use the same effect in the Forbidden Journey queue.

Ah yes, where Harry is up on the little balcony talking? I missed some of the queue because I was concentrating on not becoming violently ill on the impending ride.

A scrim would make more sense. Whatever it is, it looks good and if Disney is going to attempt video effects, they need to use this technology.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom