Any new thunder mountain info?

The Empress Lilly

The queue is just as hot and as miserable as ever.
I love it. I love that queue presicely because it is hot and sweaty and uncomfortable: this too me is part of the immersion into hot and sweaty southwestern dusty mine town.

For the same reason I like the queue in Jungle Cruise to be 'hot and humid'. Glad both queues are outside!

CTXRover

I can't speak for Paris and Tokyo but Thunder in California still has the shaking rocks.

I was at Disneyland May 16th and rode BTM. Now I only rode once, but the rocks were definetely stationary on my ride. I specifically looked knowing about the ongoing discussion here if the effect was coming back on ours. I'm sure there is some reason they aren't moving beyond the common response that TDO is being cheap. I don't know what it is, but even though it was a simple yet cheesy effect, I'd like to see it back.

Tom

Beta Return
I love it. I love that queue presicely because it is hot and sweaty and uncomfortable: this too me is part of the immersion into hot and sweaty southwestern dusty mine town.

For the same reason I like the queue in Jungle Cruise to be 'hot and humid'. Glad both queues are outside!

You're sick! :lol:

No, seriously. I can get the impression that I'm in the Jungle, even if I'm standing in comfortable temperatures.

Scuttle

Totally agree about the queues. The rock projection is an absolute joke. People wonder why we flame TDO.... Well here's a prime example as to why.

Tom Morrow

What I find baffling is the projection of the rocks falling up. like seriously? how inattentive and/or apathetic did SEVERAL people have to be for that to happen and be like "yeah, that looks fine."

:brick:

Also while the A/C in the station is nice, and since apparently enclosing the upstairs queue was out of the question, they really should at least add some fans in there.

MerlinTheGoat

What I find baffling is the projection of the rocks falling up. like seriously? how inattentive and/or apathetic did SEVERAL people have to be for that to happen and be like "yeah, that looks fine."

:brick:

Also while the A/C in the station is nice, and since apparently enclosing the upstairs queue was out of the question, they really should at least add some fans in there.

The funny think is that I talked to someone on these forums several months ago and they mentioned the rock falling projection was actually installed before the ride went down for refurb. And they also confirmed that the rocks were falling upwards then as well, so I know they were telling the truth. And within the many months the ride was down, they never fixed that mistake. Plenty of time to correct that but nope. Ugh...

janoimagine

Looks like the falling rocks returned as a projection effect now-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teKNuXijW-g
But they're falling up instead of down... Someone install the projector upside-down or something?:ROFLOL:

That is Effing pathetic. Seriously??? One of the key effects of the ride dumbed down to this after this extensive rehab? ... Once again TDO settles for mediocrity. Brilliant. TDO your a bunch of freaking tools. Disneylands creatives would never settle for this kind of garbage, guess we get stuck with the C team in Orlando.

erasure fan1

That is Effing pathetic. Seriously??? One of the key effects of the ride dumbed down to this after this extensive rehab? ... Once again TDO settles for mediocrity. Brilliant. TDO your a bunch of freaking tools. Disneylands creatives would never settle for this kind of garbage, guess we get stuck with the C team in Orlando.

C team? I think you give them too much credit. :lol:

Whoever approved them doing that projection needs to lose their job, it looks that bad. If anyone is still wondering, things like this are why so many immediately jump on the "doom and gloom" bandwagon when something new is announced. This just screams "we just dont care, people will come to Orlando no matter what." Well TDO is 100% now for failed refurbs of magic kingdom coasters. The bright side is at least they are good at something. :rolleyes:

njDizFan

This whole situation has really gotten me upset. What happened to craftmanship, innovation, guest experience.

If you have any self respect as a designer how can things like this happen???

Seriously...upsidedown projectors, removal of themed elements without any upgrades to counter-balance..

uggghh

Tom

Beta Return
C team? I think you give them too much credit. :lol:

Whoever approved them doing that projection needs to lose their job, it looks that bad. If anyone is still wondering, things like this are why so many immediately jump on the "doom and gloom" bandwagon when something new is announced. This just screams "we just dont care, people will come to Orlando no matter what." Well TDO is 100% now for failed refurbs of magic kingdom coasters. The bright side is at least they are good at something. :rolleyes:

Aside from the crappy projections, how was BTMR's refurb a fail? It looks fantastic and the queue is much nicer and more accommodating. From what we've heard, every special effect on the ride is working (except for this mysterious live flood that may or may not have ever happened).

And I guess I forget why the Space Mountain refurb was a failure. I enjoy that ride more now than I ever did before the refurb. Maybe I'm the minority.

janoimagine

Aside from the crappy projections, how was BTMR's refurb a fail? It looks fantastic and the queue is much nicer and more accommodating. From what we've heard, every special effect on the ride is working (except for this mysterious live flood that may or may not have ever happened).

And I guess I forget why the Space Mountain refurb was a failure. I enjoy that ride more now than I ever did before the refurb. Maybe I'm the minority.

While I wouldn't have chosen the word fail, to me its simply another example of them cheaping out. Like they did with Space Mountain. I just refuse to give them a free pass when they are obviously lowering their standards or budgets on what is acceptable for their E ticket attractions. They set the initial bar, not us, all I am trying to do is hold them too it.

IanDLBZF

I agree. Now only if they could actually correct the falling rocks.....

dreamscometrue

I agree with you completely on both counts. And as for your last statement, you might be in the minority, when comparing yourself to some of the 'hardline' people who post frquently on these boards, but with respect to the other 17 million people who visit MK each year, I would say you are in the overwhelming majority. :wave:

njDizFan

I agree with you completely on both counts. And as for your last statement, you might be in the minority, when comparing yourself to some of the 'hardline' people who post frquently on these boards, but with respect to the other 17 million people who visit MK each year, I would say you are in the overwhelming majority. :wave:
The problem with the SM refurb was that they blew the chance for a great refurb. According to several people here the plans for the original refurb were for truely great upgrades.

And I bet the overwhelming majority of people don't even realize there is a difference before and after.

njDizFan

I agree with them. The Space Mountain refurb is a success, I enjoy it more now than i did before. And I thought this with zero influence from the internet, and I'm not a local resident who can go every day. I think my opinion would be similar to that of the average guest.

As for this non-existent refurb you are referring to, it never existed. If you want to contrast things in the real world to things that never happened you will always be dissapointed.
You can feel disappointed that your expectations were not met.

Haven't you ever had a meal or a vacation or a gift or anything you expected to be great but it turned out to be so-so...well in your opinion that future enjoyment never existed it was just an imaginary ideal that could only be reached in a parallel universe.

Reddog

The rocks are not falling upwards. It's quite obviously meant to create the illusion that you are now riding upside down. :D

RSoxNo1

The rocks are not falling upwards. It's quite obviously meant to create the illusion that you are now riding upside down. :D

I'm going to have to watch the video again when I get home. It looks like a non-effect when viewing it on my phone.

For those that have seen the projection effect in person, how does it look? Is it a projection of shadows or is it more like The Magic, Memories and You?

GLaDOS

I'm going to have to watch the video again when I get home. It looks like a non-effect when viewing it on my phone.

For those that have seen the projection effect in person, how does it look? Is it a projection of shadows or is it more like The Magic, Memories and You?

That "effect" has been there for a long time. I know I saw it last time I rode the ride before the refurb. I'm pretty sure that's not meant to simulate rocks falling.

It's nothing like MMY. More just a simple, shifting light.

dreamscometrue

That "effect" has been there for a long time. I know I saw it last time I rode the ride before the refurb. I'm pretty sure that's not meant to simulate rocks falling.

It's nothing like MMY. More just a simple, shifting light.

I was thinking the same thing. I've watched the videos a few times (wdwmagic vid and jeff lange vid) and I can't see this as being any kind of effect at all re rocks falling up, down, sideways, etc.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom