Any new thunder mountain info?

MerlinTheGoat

Get yourself out here to Disneyland! If you come with an open mind you should be fine. Based on all the complaints I hear here, I have no doubt you will have a good time. Every Disney park fan owes it to themself to see the original at least once.

I hope to get there ASAP, working towards fall or so. Always wanted to experience it since I visited DL Paris and realized that the Disney parks are all very different from one another. I've wanted to visit even long before WDW started its downward spiral.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Forget the shaking rocks.... The falling rocks went AWOL for years before this. And nothing was done.

As an aside, nice to see the exit geysers starting to do something after all these years.

dreamscometrue

Forget the shaking rocks.... The falling rocks went AWOL for years before this. And nothing was done.

As an aside, nice to see the exit geysers starting to do something after all these years.

Hey Martin, I watched your 'The Thundermountains' video again during my lunch break at work...love all the videos, but enjoyed this very much today. Well done!

Cheers. :wave:

MerlinTheGoat

Looks like the falling rocks returned as a projection effect now-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teKNuXijW-g
But they're falling up instead of down... Someone install the projector upside-down or something?:ROFLOL:

I'd have to say that i'd miss the shaking rocks on the sides more than the falling rocks up top. It adds to the effect of the car itself tilting side to side. Though again, no excuse not to have both. Or again the loss of what might be my favorite gag in the ride- the swinging possum babies.

Very happy about the geysers working again though. Adds a lot more kinetic energy to the ride. I feel it's so close to being a genuinely good refurb but just missed the mark. :(

IanDLBZF

But they're falling up instead of down... Someone install the projector upside-down or something?:ROFLOL:

At least this was an okay refurbishment. :) It was almost a good refurb, but it could've been better though.:rolleyes:

Regarding the opposums, this was probably due to safety reasons that they removed them. Otherwise someone would've been hurt. :eek:

MerlinTheGoat

At least this was an okay refurbishment. :) It was almost a good refurb, but it could've been better though.:rolleyes:

Regarding the opposums, this was probably due to safety reasons that they removed them. Otherwise someone would've been hurt. :eek:
It's two or three relatively simple but important show elements short of being decent considering how long the ride was down. A good refurb I would consider something that improves the ride over what was originally there (like the 1994 refurb of Spaceship Earth).

I don't consider any lengthy refurb that neglects fixing major show elements as even ok. Prior to the refurb, the ride shouldn't even have been allowed to run in the state it was in for as long as it did. But to have it reopen with even simple elements non working is rather unacceptable. That's Disney's own standards btw. I think it's also rather silly that the falling rock effect is playing backwards (unless that's how it's supposed to be).

Is that line about possums and safety sarcastic? I seriously hope that's not the ACTUAL reason for its removal. And I doubt it is either. I shudder to think of all the other rides that have overhanging show elements that haven't been removed yet. Small World has plenty. Not to mention a large number of elements in Splash Mountain (whatever they haven't already turned off anyways) and dozens of other rides. Even simpler attractions that are already lacking large quantities of show elements such as Pooh would be in trouble.

IanDLBZF

It's two or three relatively simple but important show elements short of being decent considering how long the ride was down. A good refurb I would consider something that improves the ride over what was originally there (like the 1994 refurb of Spaceship Earth).

I don't consider any lengthy refurb that neglects fixing major show elements as even ok. Prior to the refurb, the ride shouldn't even have been allowed to run in the state it was in for as long as it did. But to have it reopen with even simple elements non working is rather unacceptable. That's Disney's own standards btw. I think it's also rather silly that the falling rock effect is playing backwards (unless that's how it's supposed to be).

Is that line about possums and safety sarcastic? I seriously hope that's not the ACTUAL reason for its removal. And I doubt it is either. I shudder to think of all the other rides that have overhanging show elements that haven't been removed yet. Small World has plenty. Not to mention a large number of elements in Splash Mountain (whatever they haven't already turned off anyways) and dozens of other rides. Even simpler attractions that are already lacking large quantities of show elements such as Pooh would be in trouble.

Can't wait til someone sues Disney because of this neglect.... :zipit:

MerlinTheGoat

Can't wait til someone sues Disney because of this neglect.... :zipit:

Lol, i'm not nearly that irritated at the ride. I still rode it and enjoyed the ride even before the refurb when it looked even worse. Though lets hope the neglect doesn't lead to a Big Thunder Disneyland scenario where people ended up dying due to mismanagement on Disney's part. There's just enough wrong with WDW as a whole to make me want to visit Disneyland instead of WDW this year. And you were serious in trying to say possums were removed for safety? Is that the justification we're going to fall back on now for when Disney removes any ride elements? In that case, one wonders why this trend doesn't affect some of the other Disney parks around the globe (including Disneyland CA)...:ROFLOL:

Hope i'll be in for a treat when I visit Disneyland, after coming from WDW.

dreamscometrue

Is that line about possums and safety sarcastic? I seriously hope that's not the ACTUAL reason for its removal. And I doubt it is either.

I wonder why an effect like that would be removed? I know that some people on here think TDO is really cheap and does a poor job, but there's no way something like this being remove is simply related to budget. With the money spent on materials and person hours for a 4 month refurb, I can't see any exec saying "Let's get rid of those possums...that'll save us a few bucks and add to our bottom line." Some of the show element changes in several attractions can not simply be due to funds. So, what other reasons are there for changing show elements?

Rob562

If I recall correctly, the spinning baby possums effect was often broken by abusive riders (often teens) standing up and slapping them as the train went under.

-Rob

bubbles1812

If I recall correctly, the spinning baby possums effect was often broken by abusive riders (often teens) standing up and slapping them as the train went under.

-Rob

If that's true, I sadly can understand Disney permanently (or at least it seems that way) removing them from the ride. Not only would it be pointless to fix them assuming that would keep occuring but it'd be a liability issue for them as well if people were standing up to do that. (You just know someone would win money for falling out of the ride when it was there fault in the first place for standing up).

bubbles1812

-Rob

If that's true, I sadly can understand Disney permanently (or at least it seems that way) removing them from the ride. Not only would it be pointless to fix them assuming that would keep occurring but it'd be a liability issue for them as well if people were standing up to do that. (You just know someone would win money for falling out of the ride when it was there fault in the first place for standing up).

Californian Elitist

Lol, i'm not nearly that irritated at the ride. I still rode it and enjoyed the ride even before the refurb when it looked even worse. Though lets hope the neglect doesn't lead to a Big Thunder Disneyland scenario where people ended up dying due to mismanagement on Disney's part. There's just enough wrong with WDW as a whole to make me want to visit Disneyland instead of WDW this year. And you were serious in trying to say possums were removed for safety? Is that the justification we're going to fall back on now for when Disney removes any ride elements? In that case, one wonders why this trend doesn't affect some of the other Disney parks around the globe (including Disneyland CA)...:ROFLOL:

Hope i'll be in for a treat when I visit Disneyland, after coming from WDW.

I don't think the possums on Thunder at Disneyland spin. They swing, if I'm correct. Either way, they haven't been removed.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
If that's true, I sadly can understand Disney permanently (or at least it seems that way) removing them from the ride. Not only would it be pointless to fix them assuming that would keep occurring but it'd be a liability issue for them as well if people were standing up to do that. (You just know someone would win money for falling out of the ride when it was there fault in the first place for standing up).

Sadly, the level respect of non-personal property(even personal!) in this country is in the midst of a huge decline. After a good day at BGW today and watching people trample through immaculate and gorgeous flower beds I am baffled at the respect level of guests.

maxairmike

In 2010 I watched a couple teens messing with and intentionally trying to break some of the theme elements in the line for Summit Plummet. The lack of respect these days, by adults as well, drives me nuts.

Cactusspade

I'd have to say that i'd miss the shaking rocks on the sides more than the falling rocks up top. It adds to the effect of the car itself tilting side to side. Though again, no excuse not to have both. Or again the loss of what might be my favorite gag in the ride- the swinging possum babies.

Very happy about the geysers working again though. Adds a lot more kinetic energy to the ride. I feel it's so close to being a genuinely good refurb but just missed the mark. :(

I watched that YouTube video and was very unimpressed with the projection. Besides the fact they actually run it upside down, it looks fake. All the cool magic they do in the Huanted Mansion, and they can't even get one realistic falling rock effect to work? Who is the genius that oversaw this? Love looking at rocks falling upward, except it looks like garbage you would see in a traveling carnival. FAIL.

MerlinTheGoat

I watched that YouTube video and was very unimpressed with the projection. Besides the fact they actually run it upside down, it looks fake. All the cool magic they do in the Huanted Mansion, and they can't even get one realistic falling rock effect to work? Who is the genius that oversaw this? Love looking at rocks falling upward, except it looks like garbage you would see in a traveling carnival. FAIL.

I rather agree. And I really have no issues with digital mapping technology, so I don't blame the tech itself (just this specific implementation). The castle projection show looks great, most of the projections in Mansion as you said look great (Bride I admit looks kind of flat and flickery, though again not a fault of the tech), and the recent updates to Snow White in California seem to be really cool looking from what few videos i've seen (can't wait to see it in person). Not to mention Tower of Terror, which I am still just as impressed by to this day as I was when it first opened.

RalphinSC

Rode today. Glad to have the water effects all back and working. Tumbleweed looks great with the water flowing again. The projector effect on the rocks is terrible. You cannot even really tell what it is in real time unless you are expecting it. The queue is just as hot and as miserable as ever. It just looks better. Maybe all those rusty air vents will one day pump cool air. I sat through the standby just to really check that aspect. I guess it will remain a fastpass only wait for me. Nothing added there as of yet improves that scorching wait one bit so far IMO. You still spend the whole time sweating and staring at other people. Maybe the next gen elements will improve that. I hope some of the elements are giant ice cube or blower fans......hehe

The Empress Lilly

Aye! A six month refurb and the ride isn't even up to par with what it was thirthy years ago. Never mind plussed or improved. That's not 'okay', or 'somewhat succesful'.

It is fail.

If you must remove the opossums because of guest misbeahviour and the falling rocks for safety, then add other effects. BTM is an effect-driven coaster, even story-driven. An immersive experience.
If BTM was a bare-track coaster at Six Flags, the exact same ride but no mountain and scenery and set pieces, who would consider riding it twice? It would be just a lacklustre, perhaps somewhat fun-ish kiddie coaster.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom