Any new thunder mountain info?

amzgirl

I am quite disappointed about the lack of falling rocks. My daughter and I used to have a lot of fun pretending to be terrified - pointing at the shaking rocks and hamming it up. One of our traditions.

Hopefully there will be some sort of decent projector element to take their place.

Vernonpush

I am quite disappointed about the lack of falling rocks. My daughter and I used to have a lot of fun pretending to be terrified - pointing at the shaking rocks and hamming it up. One of our traditions.

Hopefully there will be some sort of decent projector element to take their place.

Maybe there will be a "photo op" that you can buy at the end of your journey during that "tradition":shrug:. IDK but it sounds like something that TDO would do. I HOPE to be proven wrong,:ROFLOL:.

articos

I'm just wondering what the chances are that the water, rocks, and lightbulbs WILL be done.

The two effects, well, maybe I can see where they'd not turn them on right away. Maybe. Maybe they just want to have it up and running for a few days with people on it before dialing them in. Maybe.

The lightbulbs are a mystery.

I mean, if I was supervising the project, the last thing I'd do is walk around and make sure it was JUST RIGHT. Wouldn't anyone? So you can say, "yup. Looks great. Job well done." I mean, they cleaned up the construction mess, right?

And really---could it be anything like "hey, there are some light bulbs burned out." "oh, forget it. We don't have the budget. That's not important. Who cares?" Really?

That's just nuts.

So, this is perplexing.

There are all sorts of reasons why elements aren't put into show on schedule with a reopening, even after a lengthy rehab. Even on 6 month rehabs, the schedule is usually packed, even with a couple weeks of padding. And then the show is at the mercy of vendors, equipment, artists, shipping companies...it goes on and on. I don't know the particulars of BTMRR's rehab, but as far as possibilities, maybe the projectors ended up being backordered, which is a situation I've run into recently. Maybe the electricians didn't run the wiring correctly, and it needs to be reworked. Maybe the vendor who needs to dial in the projectors is booked out on theme parks in Korea or Spain, and wasn't able to get in to do the work yet.

Not saying any of these are the specific case, but when you're dealing with so many variables, very little of the equipment is standard off-the-shelf and specific people have to be brought on to work on the show, all sorts of things can happen that delay show elements. Just some insight into how it all plays out sometimes. RE: bulbs being out, they may have been replaced and then burned out immediately before or after the attraction is handed back over. Once that happens, it's back in the hands of other departments who may not have the manpower or the schedule to get over to get it fixed immediately - Imagineering/the project team can't go back in and fix it, since they don't own the site any longer.

MickeyPeace

Was the rushing water effect returned?

I'm at WDW now. They water is moving around. I'm not sure how it looked back in the day so not sure if it's the same.

The queue looks great. ALL geysers are working and look amazing. Even the post show geysers. They make realistic sounds as if they are going to blow before they go off. I have pics on Twitter. Link below.

Ride is smoother.

Only thing is rock still not moving. Also gas lamp used to sway in same scene and is not. Other than that it looks amazing. I have lots of pics to post when I get home.

dreamscometrue

There are all sorts of reasons why elements aren't put into show on schedule with a reopening, even after a lengthy rehab. Even on 6 month rehabs, the schedule is usually packed, even with a couple weeks of padding. And then the show is at the mercy of vendors, equipment, artists, shipping companies...it goes on and on. I don't know the particulars of BTMRR's rehab, but as far as possibilities, maybe the projectors ended up being backordered, which is a situation I've run into recently. Maybe the electricians didn't run the wiring correctly, and it needs to be reworked. Maybe the vendor who needs to dial in the projectors is booked out on theme parks in Korea or Spain, and wasn't able to get in to do the work yet.

Not saying any of these are the specific case, but when you're dealing with so many variables, very little of the equipment is standard off-the-shelf and specific people have to be brought on to work on the show, all sorts of things can happen that delay show elements. Just some insight into how it all plays out sometimes. RE: bulbs being out, they may have been replaced and then burned out immediately before or after the attraction is handed back over. Once that happens, it's back in the hands of other departments who may not have the manpower or the schedule to get over to get it fixed immediately - Imagineering/the project team can't go back in and fix it, since they don't own the site any longer.

Thanks for posting this. There are very often (not always) very reasonable explanations for many 'issues' that some people on here choose to make a huge deal out of. Rational thought and common sense goes a long way. :)

Tom

Beta Return
I'm at WDW now. They water is moving around. I'm not sure how it looked back in the day so not sure if it's the same.

The queue looks great. ALL geysers are working and look amazing. Even the post show geysers. They make realistic sounds as if they are going to blow before they go off. I have pics on Twitter. Link below.

Ride is smoother.

Only thing is rock still not moving. Also gas lamp used to sway in same scene and is not. Other than that it looks amazing. I have lots of pics to post when I get home.

Thank you for the in-person update!

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer

Ride is smoother.

Thanks for the info.

Good to see the Geysers back up. Love seeing Disney bring back water features instead of shutting them down.

articos

Thanks for posting this. There are very often (not always) very reasonable explanations for many 'issues' that some people on here choose to make a huge deal out of. Rational thought and common sense goes a long way. :)

Quite welcome. There's usually a lot more going on than just a decision to pull something. Usually.

MerlinTheGoat

I really can't think of any good reasons for missing effects in Big Thunder besides poor maintenance and penny pinching. Especially the missing opossums in the flooded town. I can't see them having any real danger of falling off and injuring someone anyways. As for the shaking rocks in the third lift, they worked for almost 40 years without falling, I'm sure they could have done something to make it work again and better ensure they wouldn't fall again. Heck, even a cheapo digital mapping effect to "simulate" a rock shaking would have been preferred to not moving at all.

I've a question to anyone who has visited any other Disney park lately and been on their Big Thunder rides- Are the shaking rocks on the sides of the third lift hill working in any other Disney park? California, Paris, Tokyo?

Californian Elitist

I've a question to anyone who has visited any other Disney park lately and been on their Big Thunder rides- Are the shaking rocks on the sides of the third lift hill working in any other Disney park? California, Paris, Tokyo?

I can't speak for Paris and Tokyo but Thunder in California still has the shaking rocks.

MerlinTheGoat

I can't speak for Paris and Tokyo but Thunder in California still has the shaking rocks.

Thanks, good to know! Knowing the glowing comments of Tokyo's maintenance, I imagine the rocks still shake there as well. It is my current goal to take a trip out west this year and I intend to visit Disneyland for the first time ever, looking forward to that! Hoping it won't disappoint (only ever been to WDW and Disneyland Paris).

Californian Elitist

Thanks, good to know! Knowing the glowing comments of Tokyo's maintenance, I imagine the rocks still shake there as well. It is my current goal to take a trip out west this year and I intend to visit Disneyland for the first time ever, looking forward to that! Hoping it won't disappoint (only ever been to WDW and Disneyland Paris).

Get yourself out here to Disneyland! If you come with an open mind you should be fine. Based on all the complaints I hear here, I have no doubt you will have a good time. Every Disney park fan owes it to themself to see the original at least once.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom