any harry potter fans?

Arielle

I'm a harry addict myself. I still can't get used to the new Dumbledore. Richard harris *was* Dumbledore. and why does the new dumbledore have grimy hair and beard (in a pinytail of some sort no less-the beard!) and his nails just seem nasty. Dumbledore is supposed to be eccentric not filthy!

and this new guy (Michael gambon?) just doesn't have the gentleness and magic and energy that Richard Harris brought to Dumbledore.

alas. (earwax?)

DisneyRoxMySox

Arielle said:
I'm a harry addict myself. I still can't get used to the new Dumbledore. Richard harris *was* Dumbledore. and why does the new dumbledore have grimy hair and beard (in a pinytail of some sort no less-the beard!) and his nails just seem nasty. Dumbledore is supposed to be eccentric not filthy!

and this new guy (Michael gambon?) just doesn't have the gentleness and magic and energy that Richard Harris brought to Dumbledore.

alas. (earwax?)

Amen. Thee first movie had perfect casting!

MagicalMonorail

I also believe that Richard Harris was a much better Dumbledore. While I realized that he can never be replaced, the new actor to play Dumbledore disgusts me. He has no charm, no magic, no gentleness, or cleverness about him. I don't completely hate him, but I believe the casting director could have chosen a better actor.

Kwit35

We all know that no actor could take the place of Richard Harris. However, if the current actor had been chosen first, instead of Richard Harris, I bet everyone would love him. The fact that he is 'dirty' looking, is not his fault, it is the director. The charm and gentleness is all relative. We would have found him charming as heck if he had been the original. But nothing compares to the REAL Dumbledore (Richard).

Dizknee_Phreek

Original Poster
I agree, Richard Harris WAS Dumbledore...anytime I read the books, he's the one that comes to mind (probably because I saw the first movie before reading any of the books). I try sometimes to put Michael's Dumbledore in his place, but it just doesn't fit. It's hard to think I'd like him even if he was originally cast...but I might have. I've been trying to think of who would make a better Dumbledore, and out of the famous people I know, it's hard to come up with one that would be a fairly decent match to Richard. Although not an actor, I think John Williams would actually be a decent Dumbledore. MAYBE Ian McKellen...but since he's already been a wizard for one great epic, I don't know if he would want/should be another wizard for another great epic. I'd think the general public would say he and/or the casting directors were coping out or something. But I think he'd make a more gentle Dumbledore than Michael.
*sigh* I miss Richard. I hope they don't have to replace anyone else before all 7 are finished.

barnum42

I don't think it's so much Gambon's portrayal, but the lack of characterisation he had to work with in the film. It was much shorter than it's predecessors, with the net result that characterisation was sacrificed. See what happens if they give him a bit more screen time in the next one.

Dizknee_Phreek

Original Poster
barnum42 said:
I don't think it's so much Gambon's portrayal, but the lack of characterisation he had to work with in the film. It was much shorter than it's predecessors, with the net result that characterisation was sacrificed. See what happens if they give him a bit more screen time in the next one.
Yeah, I'd say you're probably very right in saying that. There was a LOT sacrificed in the last film, and characterisation was definitely part of that. We'll see how it goes in #4.

CaptainMichael

barnum42 said:

Well, the true test will be the HBP movie. They'll be forced to give him screen time. So, we'll see. Hopefully, he'll get a makeover before then.

Kwit35

The only time the new Dumbledore had a hint of the old charming personality, is when Harry and Harmione come back from rescuing Sirius and they said 'we did it'. And he said 'did what?' with a little grin. That was Dumbledore to me. The rest of the movie just seemed like some guy trying to act like Dumbledore.

Dizknee_Phreek

Original Poster
Kwit35 said:
The only time the new Dumbledore had a hint of the old charming personality, is when Harry and Harmione come back from rescuing Sirius and they said 'we did it'. And he said 'did what?' with a little grin. That was Dumbledore to me. The rest of the movie just seemed like some guy trying to act like Dumbledore.
*nods in agreement* I was thinking the same thing. That part, and maybe when he was making his start-of-term speech and he made the candle flame go out...that, to me, was rather Dumbledore-ish as well.

Kwit35

Dizknee_Phreek said:
*nods in agreement* I was thinking the same thing. That part, and maybe when he was making his start-of-term speech and he made the candle flame go out...that, to me, was rather Dumbledore-ish as well.
I agree, it was a very 'dumbleydore' movement. But the actor seem bored doing it. He didn't have that twinkle in his eye they R H would have. :animwink:

Tara Mae

Well, there's not really much that can be done about R.H.'s death, now can there?

I admit, the new Dumbledore is a bit...not Dumbledore, but it's the best they could find on such short notice. R.H.'s death was sudden, and it's not as if they could prepare for it.

I think he's, the new Dumbledore, is doing the best he can. He's under a lot of pressure. Taking over for Harris is a hard task, people expect him to BE Harris.

I give him props for trying.

barnum42

Tara Mae said:
I think he's, the new Dumbledore, is doing the best he can. He's under a lot of pressure. Taking over for Harris is a hard task, people expect him to BE Harris.
Michael Gambon is a respected actor, so I have full confidence in him. I think he has deliberately not tried to impersonate Richard Harris, as he'd be on a hiding to nothing. Although he did put a light Irish twang into the portrayal, I'm sure as a memory to the original actor.

Kwit35

What I really want to know is, who is going to play Umbridge (sp?) in the OOTP? What a great character. She is soooo evil.

MKCustodial

Okay, guys and gals, today I got a teaser of the "Goblet" trailer. It's got some good stuff in it, so enjoy!

http://extratv.warnerbros.com/v2/news/0805/12/3/video.html

Remember how they "added" to the movie version of the quidditch match in "Chamber"? Well, it seems they're doing it to the tasks on this one. It's been a while, but I don't remember the dragon chasing Harry around, and I certainly don't remember him doing jumps and flips like a Sea World dolphin during the lake task.

Mr.lightbeer

I do seem to remember him fighting a dragon but I couldnt tell u about the flipper stuff, i cant wait for the fifth one to come out i want to see what they are going to cut out so it isnt 10 hours long.

CaptainMichael

Yeah, there is a dragon in the First Task and it is supposed to just chase Harry around the enclosure, but of course, they are going to go above and beyond this and have it chase Harry around the grounds.

In the book, Harry doesn't do all that crazy dolphin stuff, he goes straight to work.

I wish they'd just let me direct the movies from here on out! Because instead of wasting time on things that didn't happen, I could put in meaningful stuff.

Dizknee_Phreek

Original Poster
STR8FAN2005 said:
I wish they'd just let me direct the movies from here on out! Because instead of wasting time on things that didn't happen, I could put in meaningful stuff.
I second that motion...as long as I can be co-director :)

Kwit35

STR8FAN2005 said:
Yeah, there is a dragon in the First Task and it is supposed to just chase Harry around the enclosure, but of course, they are going to go above and beyond this and have it chase Harry around the grounds.

In the book, Harry doesn't do all that crazy dolphin stuff, he goes straight to work.

You're hired. Now bring back Oliver Wood!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom