any harry potter fans?

MouseMadness

barnum42 said:
Given how many people won't read a book, if seeing the film then makes them pick up a book in order to read it for enjoyment rather than being forced to by their teachers it can only be a good thing.

True, but I know I, personally, hate having seen the movie before I get the book read. I picked up Pride and Prejudice AFTER seeing the miniseries *cough 3 or 4 times cough* :lookaroun and it really ruined it for me. But you are correct, I think. :)

imagineer99

*shrugs*

I'm all for a promotion of reading. I just don't feel Harry Potter translates well to the screen. Columbus' movies weren't bad. They were just so....(for lack of a better word)...BLAH! Uninteresting! Constrictive! Boring!

Personally, I think for the movies to succeed, they need to follow the novels on a much looser basis (like the third movie started to with Cuaron at the helm). That way, the plot and story doesn't feel rushed and unnatural.

AliciaLuvzDizne

barnum42 said:
Given how many people won't read a book, if seeing the film then makes them pick up a book in order to read it for enjoyment rather than being forced to by their teachers it can only be a good thing.
i actually wasnt interested in the movies when they first came out.
Then I read the books... all 5 within a month and now im a HP adict.
I suppose there are worse things to be addicted to though :lol:

Kwit35

MKCustodial said:
That's how I got hooked on this series. I'd have never picked it up if it wasn't for the movies.
Ditto, and now I am hooked. Already ordered the new one. I am taking one of my students to the midnight release of the book. He is 36, has down syndrome and has read every book. He even had a scarf made for himself.

Dizknee_Phreek

Original Poster
I watched the first movie, and that's what got me hooked. Since then, I've read the books before seeing the movies (and I loved the 3rd book so much when I read it last summer, I had to go on to 4 and 5) Now I'm re-reading all of them before book 6 comes out (which I have my copy pre-paid at Books-a-Million, and I'm planning on going to the HP6 celebration they're having there). If it hadn't been for the movies, I never would have picked up the books (same goes for Lord of the Rings). But after reading the books, I agree completely that the movies pale in comparison...though I liked Columbus' version better than Alfonso's.

Halfling418

Dizknee_Phreek said:
I watched the first movie, and that's what got me hooked. Since then, I've read the books before seeing the movies (and I loved the 3rd book so much when I read it last summer, I had to go on to 4 and 5) Now I'm re-reading all of them before book 6 comes out (which I have my copy pre-paid at Books-a-Million, and I'm planning on going to the HP6 celebration they're having there). If it hadn't been for the movies, I never would have picked up the books (same goes for Lord of the Rings). But after reading the books, I agree completely that the movies pale in comparison...though I liked Columbus' version better than Alfonso's.

Ditto. I made fun of HP until I saw the first film...now I love the book series! The movies leave a lot out, but they are very good in their own right. I think like Lotr, they help one to understand the books better, while the books help to understand the movies. ... If that makes any sense at all.

nibblesandbits

Halfling418 said:
Ditto. I made fun of HP until I saw the first film...now I love the book series! The movies leave a lot out, but they are very good in their own right. I think like Lotr, they help one to understand the books better, while the books help to understand the movies. ... If that makes any sense at all.
I was the same way. I totally made fun of my best friend b/c she was SO into HP. She made me watch the first 2 movies and I still thought she was a dork, but then we went to see the 3rd movie at midnight and I fell in love with it, so that's when I went to read all the books. I think I read them all in like 2 weeks. So technically if it weren't for the movie, I would have never read the books.

I also understand where you're coming from when you say that reading the books help to make you understand the movie and vice versa. Things just sort of click when you include them both together. (The books tell you things that they didn't include in the movies that help the movies make more sense and the movies help enhance the books b/c they give you some sort of visual to help you understand and see the world of Harry Potter)

MKCustodial

Well, I gotta use whatever time I have left in this thread before you guys start talking about "Half Blood". I think it'll only come out down here towards Christmas.

Anyways, here are some pics of the new game, "Goblet". Note that they used a pic from the movie for the cover for the first time, so it's kind of another glimpse. Also it seems on this new game we'll get some multiplayer action. You can play as Harry, Ron or Mione, or with the three together. Should be more interesting than the previous games.

http://www.omelete.com.br/games/news/base_para_news.asp?artigo=13322

Kwit35

MKCustodial said:
Well, I gotta use whatever time I have left in this thread before you guys start talking about "Half Blood". I think it'll only come out down here towards Christmas.

Anyways, here are some pics of the new game, "Goblet". Note that they used a pic from the movie for the cover for the first time, so it's kind of another glimpse. Also it seems on this new game we'll get some multiplayer action. You can play as Harry, Ron or Mione, or with the three together. Should be more interesting than the previous games.

http://www.omelete.com.br/games/news/base_para_news.asp?artigo=13322
You won't get the book til christmas? If you want one before that, send me some money and I will send you a copy in July.

MKCustodial

Thanks for the generous offer, but I'm cool. We're actually getting pre-orders down here for the American version. But since I read the very first book in Portuguese, I kinda got all the others after that in the same way, since they change a lot of names for characters, places, objects and what-not, so to read the new one in English would be confusing, to say the least. I suppose I'll be getting it sometime by October, if we're lucky. Takes them a while to produce the translated version. JK could have gone ahead and shipped the finished manuscript to all the foreign editing houses, so that the translation process could have started early, and maybe the whole world could get the book at the same time. But then there'd be the whole security issue so...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom