Any chance this Splash Mountain retheme is cancelled?

mickEblu

Original Poster
Imo a true iconic classic would be any attraction that Walt touched, while also setting new standards for theme parks. Take example POTC, IASW, HM, JC, Tiki Room, and CoP.

IMO The Walt factor is one but not the only attribute that makes something Classic. Walt also touched Canal Boats of the World and the Hall of Chemistry. Are those classics? Also saying HM is kind of cheating.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
while popular... im not sure tot (1994) or splash (1989) are classics.

1593638992524.png

SuddenStorm

IMO The Walt factor is one but not the only attribute that makes something Classic. Walt also touched Canal Boats of the World and the Hall of Chemistry. Are those classics? Also saying HM is kind of cheating.

But then, the argument could be made that Splash Mountain has ties to Walt era Disney, based on a film he created and using animatronics designed by one of Walt's top designers. It's probably more 'Walt Disney' than attractions like the Mud Banks of the World...

Homemade Imagineering

IMO The Walt factor is one but not the only attribute that makes something Classic. Walt also touched Canal Boats of the World and the Hall of Chemistry. Are those classics? Also POTC and HM are kind of cheating. More so for HM.
(Again this is just my opinion, everyone is entitled to their own of course) Those attractions you mentioned didn’t have catchy songs, a plethora of audio animatronics, and specific art styles. The reason those attractions from the Walt era are so iconic is because of everything I just mentioned. They were unique for their time, and became timeless. Also, HM and POTC were ideas that he was associated with. POTC is Walt to me because the attraction probably would’ve still turned out the same. HM was an idea floating around but work came to a halt to work on the 64 world’s fair. The extremely talented Imagineer’s that Walt had on his team carried on his legacy in the HM.

ppete1975

Just how old and how popular does something have to be to be a classic? 40 years?
it really depends... I would consider the opening day attractions of epcot to be classics (at this point spaceship earth and the land) and they are two years shy. Outside of that space mountain is prob the newest classic in my opinion and its at 45 years old... you could say big thunder which is 40 years old. But classic to me is what is the ride that people say Disney land or world and think of, jungle cruise, haunted mansion, pirates, people mover, space mountain, small world... all conjure up nostalgic feelings of when the park was new (all of those are within its first 10 years)

mickEblu

Original Poster
(Again this is just my opinion, everyone is entitled to their own of course) Those attractions you mentioned didn’t have catchy songs, a plethora of audio animatronics, and specific art styles. The reason those attractions from the Walt era are so iconic is because of everything I just mentioned. They were unique for their time, and became timeless. Also, HM and POTC were ideas that he was associated with. POTC is Walt to me because the attraction probably would’ve still turned out the same. HM was an idea floating around but work came to a halt to work on the 64 world’s fair. The extremely talented Imagineer’s that Walt had on his team carried on his legacy in the HM.

So you re making my point for me. Walt is one thing that makes something classic. Not the only thing. Splash Mountain has all the things you just mentioned except Walt.

ppete1975

There is no universe in which Splash and TOT aren't classics.
classics
small world, pirates, haunted mansion cop peter pan storybook canal rides (dl) 20,000 leagues

super popular
splash tot

and I really didn't mean to start this debate :( I was talking more age and have always been there (everything ive mentioned have been within 10 years of park opening)... not based on popularity and nostalgia that an individual feels

mickEblu

Original Poster
it really depends... I would consider the opening day attractions of epcot to be classics (at this point spaceship earth and the land) and they are two years shy. Outside of that space mountain is prob the newest classic in my opinion and its at 45 years old... you could say big thunder which is 40 years old. But classic to me is what is the ride that people say Disney land or world and think of, jungle cruise, haunted mansion, pirates, people mover, space mountain, small world... all conjure up nostalgic feelings of when the park was new (all of those are within its first 10 years)

So Living with the Land is a classic and not Splash Mountain? What I really think is (if I’m guessing your age correctly) that anything created after you were a kid is not a classic.

EDIT: I did guess correctly. Just looked at your profile.

ppete1975

you mean storybook canal boat rides? if so that's one of the only reasons im going to Disneyland..... of course im a huge walt Disney (the man) fan and of the original park.

ppete1975

So Living with the Land is a classic and not Splash Mountain? What I really think is (if I’m guessing your age correctly) that anything created after you were a kid is not a classic.

EDIT: I did guess correctly. Just looked at your profile.
STALKER lol... no its more park opening (if living with the land opened in Disney world I wouldn't call it a classic.. its classic to epcot). and youre still talking 7 years for one and 12 for the other. Once again I can clearly see I offended people and I apologize.

PiratesMansion

classics
small world, pirates, haunted mansion cop peter pan storybook canal rides (dl) 20,000 leagues

super popular
splash tot

and I really didn't mean to start this debate :( I was talking more age and have always been there (everything ive mentioned have been within 10 years of park opening)... not based on popularity and nostalgia that an individual feels

In my book, any attraction that has been consistently popular for 25 years is a classic. Doesn't mean I love everything that's of that vintage, but that seems like a fair metric to me.

You may not see Splash or TOT as classics; I'd argue that's not true for the majority of the park's longtime visitors.

I've never understood and reject the arguments I see here and elsewhere that once Walt died or some arbitrary date was reached there was no more art and no more classics and everything turned instantly to mindless trash or some such nonsense.

George Lucas on a Bench

Since Mickey's Runaway Success is now considered an Instant Classic despite only briefly being open before the Coronavirus shutdown, I wonder what they would call Rise of the Resistance? Crowning Achievement?

Dear Disney,

I was wondering why you designed a new ride with such pitifully low capacity in addition to its dreadful reliability that requires you to be messing around on your phone as soon as the park opens just to try to reserve a spot for an unspecified unguaranteed time? Seems like an awful lot of trouble to glide slowly around hallways.

Sincerely,
George

Dear George,

Rise of the Resistance is the greatest attraction we have ever created! It's our Crowning Achievement. Pirates of the Caribbean be damned! We're sorry if you've been unsuccessful in reserving a Boarding Group. Please keep trying. In the meantime, enjoy our other Instant Classics such as The Princess and the Frog: Mission: Splash or Inside Out: Emotional Whirlwind.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom