Any Bets on What Comes After Galaxy's Edge?

SpoiledBlueMilk

I'd just be happy if they give Epcot all the love it deserves. I have great hopes for the projects we know are coming. I just want them to embrace that blue sky rendering they showed at D23 and go full in with bringing the park up to date from an aesthetic point of view. I would love them to choose India for a new pavilion, but I think Brazil is still the way they are going based on what I've read here and on other sites. I would love to see the water features in Epcot get the Disney Springs treatment with a more organic look. That's my personal opinion, of course.

Epcot '92

I think we're going to see soul-crushing crowds in Star Wars Land. I realize I'm being overly negative (and I don't mean to be), it's just that Star Wars is such a popular draw. The land looks amazing but will only hold TWO attractions. Like Pandora you're going to need FPs to do either of these attractions or face hours-long waits. Heck, you may need to wait in a long line just to see the land - and not just on opening day.

My hope is that once Disney sees the response to this land, and sees the enormous crowds, they will follow relatively quickly with an expansion to the land (similar to what Universal did with Harry Potter). Of course, realistically I realize this would take YEARS to happen but I can see the need for it already just by the buzz that the land is already creating. :(

Similar to Universal? Do you mean Diagon Alley or the new coaster in Hogsmeade? Hogsmeade only opened one new ride and everyone went to FJ. Diagon Alley also has 2 attractions with it, and one is only if you want to leave the land.

Having 2 new rides that appeal to everyone almost equally is the key factor of SW:GE. And from the excellent photos that we see of the place, it's going to be huge. Hopefully expansion will come, but I don't think it will be as quick as you'd hope.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Whatever major (e.g., land-sized) addition comes next might be the big test of whether the Chapek regime is still willing to spend for immersion and grandeur the way that the Staggs regime was...

Though I agree about the “test”...

I dispute any notion that “immersion and grandeur” has been purchased by anyone under iger. Waiting till desperation sets in and then rolling out 5-7 year projects doesn’t equate.

The last “immersive build” period went like this:
Wilderness 94
Blizzard 95
Boardwalk 96
Coronado/westside 97
Dak 98
Millenuim upgrades 99-2000
Dakl 2001

We’ve seen really nothing but DVC and “rip and replace” since..avatar being the one needed exception.

Last edited:

pax_65

Similar to Universal? Do you mean Diagon Alley or the new coaster in Hogsmeade? Hogsmeade only opened one new ride and everyone went to FJ. Diagon Alley also has 2 attractions with it, and one is only if you want to leave the land.

Not my intent to compare SWL to Harry Potter. I'm just saying Universal saw that Harry Potter was incredibly popular so they expanded on it. I hope Disney does the same thing - fast.

Having 2 new rides that appeal to everyone almost equally is the key factor of SW:GE. And from the excellent photos that we see of the place, it's going to be huge. Hopefully expansion will come, but I don't think it will be as quick as you'd hope.

I really think the crowds will be unprecedented. Two attractions will be so completely inadequate. I honestly feel Star Wars could support it's own park, or at least a true land (with the number of attractions of Futureworld or Fantasyland).

These days people go completely nuts for anything new at Disney. The lines for Frozen were wrapping around World Showcase. With the popularity of Star Wars and how cool the land looks, I just can't even imagine the hordes that will descend upon it. That's assuming Disney doesn't completely destroy the franchise by the time SWL opens... they better improve upon "Last Jedi" and "Han Solo".:rolleyes:

JohnD

I thought the same thing of Star tours

SWLB is nothing more than a preview center for SW:GE or a place to whet your appetite for SW. With SW:GE open, SWLB clearly won't be needed. ST, on the other hand, can still exist outside SW:GE being a spaceport that takes you to different areas of SW. SW:GE is billed as a single outpost in the SW universe. Anyway, my two cents. I would like it to stay but it probably won't and will be converted to some other IP.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
SWLB is nothing more than a preview center for SW:GE or a place to whet your appetite for SW. With SW:GE open, SWLB clearly won't be needed. ST, on the other hand, can still exist outside SW:GE being a spaceport that takes you to different areas of SW. SW:GE is billed as a single outpost in the SW universe. Anyway, my two cents. I would like it to stay but it probably won't and will be converted to some other IP.

Well played...with all that well described prose and acronynisms...I bet to the untrained observers it looks like you don’t believe star tours isn’t an outdated, now misplaced simulator now 😉

JohnD

Well played...with all that well described prose and acronynisms...I bet to the untrained observers it looks like you don’t believe star tours isn’t an outdated, now misplaced simulator now 😉

Obviously, your premise is that is an outdated, misplaced simulator. You appear to be moving the goal posts. That wasn't the argument earlier. The argument, as I read it, is that it doesn't need to be around because of SW:GE. I simply made the argument that it could remain. I'll leave the discussion about the tech of the ride to others. I still like it, FWIW.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Obviously, your premise is that is an outdated, misplaced simulator. You appear to be moving the goal posts. That wasn't the argument earlier. The argument, as I read it, is that it doesn't need to be around because of SW:GE. I simply made the argument that it could remain. I'll leave the discussion about the tech of the ride to others. I still like it, FWIW.

I’m just teasing you...but it’s unlike you to have such a “company line” diatribe 😜

Marc Davis Fan

Though I agree about the “test”...

I dispute any notion that “immersion and grandeur” has been purchased by anyone under iger. Waiting till desperation sets in and then rolling out 5-7 year projects doesn’t equate.

We should remember that Iger came in at a time when the greatest desperation (in terms of parks) was at WDSP, DCA, and HKDL (the failure of which was also connected to the need to secure a second chance at creating interest in China, i.e., SDL).

Once the "emergency" projects of those park expansions were complete (and there was a lot to do, requiring large budgets and many years), WDW was always intended to be next on the slate. I wish it had been earlier, because then more would have been developed before Chapek took over...

Soluna16

What exactly is going to happen with Pixar Place? If it isn't redeveloped it would be a pretty big waste of space right in the middle of the park. When SWL opens it'll be such a strange remainder of the former layout.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom