Any Bets on What Comes After Galaxy's Edge?

homerdance

Regarding a post I made a while back of nothing more, I can now say there are a few plans post SWL. Nothing approved yet and nothing I can comment on. Aside from currently no water based attraction.

But by god, the competition don’t plan on waiting around either.
Do the plans include a Theater like attraction on or near Main Street?

Fox&Hound

I agree with others that the Marvel real life settings are not very exciting for a theme park land. I would love to see Iron Man and the others walking around a bit though :)

capsshield

I'll never understand the limited thinking that park development has. Always worried about costs to the point that they never get anything done. They could literally fund building the parks by incorporating a lot of stuff into their plans that generates cash. Stuff that the average guest never notices or realizes they are spending cash on because its something that's part of the experience and its fun and exciting.

As an example they could have built a restaurant into the river journey in the Avatar boat ride and used the extra profits to add animatronics to the attraction and extend the ride. 1000 customers at $40 a dinner is about $14,000,000 a year. They could have had an Animatronic Banshee that diners could take photo pass with, and buy a diner photo package. Over ten years they could have paid for the attraction with thinking like that. Don't forget the special drinks and immersion of the guests into the experience, or the extra Banshee toys they would have sold. Imagine a Rainforest style restaurant with Banshees sleeping and waking, looking around and moving.
Instead they delivered a very poor attraction that isn't worth a 10 minute wait to ride and diminishes an otherwise great land.

That doesn't even take into account the lack of table service restaurants in the park.

If I had to guess what comes next, I would imagine a lot of things that build on current E tickets like the space restaurant, or a haunted mansion restaurant or bigger stores at ride exits. Add in some reworked parades, and night time shows that sound good on paper but just replace what's there and you are in the mind of the mindless bean counters.

What we should get is a twenty year plan to rehab the parks adding 1-2 E Ticket rides to each land in the Magic Kingdom, 2 to 3 new lands in the Animal Kingdom with 2-4 rides in each land, an attraction or two in each country in World Showcase plus 2-3 new countries, a revitalized Wonders of life pavilion along with updates to 2 or 3 of the other pavilions and at least a dozen attractions in DHS A - E ticket.

I still remember a time when there was always something new on the way. In a way it feels like those times have returned but what I can see is very limited and I don't see very much coming after this wave of new stuff is built. Perhaps the plan is to continue on at the current pace for as long as they can. I know if I was in charge it would be.

I'd like to see the area north of Tom Sawyer Island developed so that you could walk around the ROA and visit a few new attractions, see a show and expand Liberty Square to join in the loop. I would then develop the area north of Small World and the Haunted Mansion into two or three lands that run along that northern corridor eventually connecting to the circus world.

Those lands would be Neverland, and Halloween Town, and the circus would become Wonderland. Dumbo would move to Disney Springs with Casey and the mini coaster. The Peter Pan ride would turn into a Tangled Ride. A real fantasy land.

P_Radden

Sorry if this is not directly on topic for DHS.

I am beyond annoyed the same company who made attraction masterpieces like the Haunted Mansion, DHS's Tower of Tower, Big Thunder Mountain...Splash, etc, is now instead happily producing cheap, weak, short or copy/paste attractions. Yeah FoP is great, but honestly the land itself is boring after your first few visits. The boat ride although pretty, needs some sort of story or something more to engage it's guests. Toy Story Land is almost offensive in terms of overall effort. And Energy didn't have to be going down this route. It was state-of-the-art in it's day, and still very impressive, but need the one thing they refused to give it. Love, consistent care and updates. I can only imagine how some older folks originally involved with 70s-80s WDW feel when they visit the parks. I'm seeing less and less love from TDO for their parks. I see more and more short-sighted greed. Even if they went with a newer ride system, it should've remained primairly about Energy. Not saying the new coaster wont have any "energy" tie-ins, but selling out a huge part of Epcot Center's heart and soul for the sake of today's hot IPs seems just petty. What's next? ...Do I really even want to know?

I miss those days back in 2015 when I fell in love with WDW all over again and was willing to overlook issues like the monorail conditions, and the state of FW with my pixy dusted lenses. But it sure didn't take long to start to see the big picture. Every trip you notice more and more and at some point you have to wonder what the heck happened to this place?

Yeah I know, lots of projects now everywhere, construction and refurbs galore. But where is the actual LOVE? I notice a lot of nostalgic merch in Mouse Gear. They might as well be kicking us in the groin. It's like saying "hey, we know you guys have a passion for Epcot Center so here's a bunch of merch with the original logo, but we really don't care about you because our guest surveys say we need to gut what's left of EC for .... for what? Well, we don't even know actually... but it'll have lots of exciting new IP-based attractions and none of that boring old edutainment that's fundamentally underlined the core of the park all these years". The people in charge don't care one bit that edutainment and the original Epcot Center design has such beauty and passion behind it. This is perfect example of a huge corporation showing it's negative qualities.

I like the post in the other thread showing the details in architecture and structure of Colombia Harbour House vs some of their recent dining facilities. It just feels like all that amazing creativity, attention to details (more than just on the surface) and hard work that went into building WDW, and which helped set the standards of what a Disney park should be, is nowadays (for the most part) MIA. I really hope SWL can help bring things back a little.

Last edited:

TJJohn12

I'll never understand the limited thinking that park development has. Always worried about costs to the point that they never get anything done. They could literally fund building the parks by incorporating a lot of stuff into their plans that generates cash. Stuff that the average guest never notices or realizes they are spending cash on because its something that's part of the experience and its fun and exciting....

Maybe you haven't been paying attention to the entertainment world of late, but microtransactions are a highly polarizing and often off-putting means of supporting an entertainment product. See this Kotaku analysis of the nightmare begging-for-cash landscape that is NBA 2K19. Charging for every element of a Disney experience is already a huge arena for anger among park goers - increasing it for pay-to-win daily character photo ops and reintroduce what might amount to a ticket book system again to the parks? Yeah. No.

As for the rest of your ideas - they're cute. Not anywhere near practical, but cute. And they're far beyond what a restaurant or two could recoup (remember, Disney largely pays for their expansions up-front - not wholesale financing them to defer payment the way you do a house's construction). There's a whole forum for this type of irrational pipe-dreaming. I enjoy doing it... over there.

capsshield

Maybe you haven't been paying attention to the entertainment world of late, but microtransactions are a highly polarizing and often off-putting means of supporting an entertainment product. See this Kotaku analysis of the nightmare begging-for-cash landscape that is NBA 2K19. Charging for every element of a Disney experience is already a huge arena for anger among park goers - increasing it for pay-to-win daily character photo ops and reintroduce what might amount to a ticket book system again to the parks? Yeah. No.

As for the rest of your ideas - they're cute. Not anywhere near practical, but cute. And they're far beyond what a restaurant or two could recoup (remember, Disney largely pays for their expansions up-front - not wholesale financing them to defer payment the way you do a house's construction). There's a whole forum for this type of irrational pipe-dreaming. I enjoy doing it... over there.

I don't think building a restaurant with interactive entertainment is anything like a virtual pay to play game especially in a park that is or was practically void of table service dining. And adding a reason to buy an already offered service is not out of line especially if it is invisible to the experience. My family and I have left the park to dine elsewhere for the lack of dining.

As for Disney deferring payment to buy things I'm pretty sure they do it all the time. Using other peoples money to make money is the easiest way to make money. Don't kid yourself. There is a line of bankers waiting to finance their growth. Any project they build has estimates for costs and return on investment. How its finance is part of the cost. I'm pretty sure you will find outstanding debt in their year end or quarterly statements.

The only thing that is irrational about my example is that it is a fiction that will never be but should have been, at least something to that extent. Pandora lacks things to do and what I used as an example would have added 1-2 hours to the park experience for a couple thousand visitors at a minimum every day.

By the way well run restaurants are very profitable. Disney wouldn't have 30 plus if they weren't.

The parks are giant malls with fun distractions nothing more, and malls are moving to entertainment based activities to survive. Food or eating it is one of those activities.

EPCOTCenterLover

Original Poster
I don't think building a restaurant with interactive entertainment is anything like a virtual pay to play game especially in a park that is or was practically void of table service dining. And adding a reason to buy an already offered service is not out of line especially if it is invisible to the experience. My family and I have left the park to dine elsewhere for the lack of dining.

As for Disney deferring payment to buy things I'm pretty sure they do it all the time. Using other peoples money to make money is the easiest way to make money. Don't kid yourself. There is a line of bankers waiting to finance their growth. Any project they build has estimates for costs and return on investment. How its finance is part of the cost. I'm pretty sure you will find outstanding debt in their year end or quarterly statements.

The only thing that is irrational about my example is that it is a fiction that will never be but should have been, at least something to that extent. Pandora lacks things to do and what I used as an example would have added 1-2 hours to the park experience for a couple thousand visitors at a minimum every day.

By the way well run restaurants are very profitable. Disney wouldn't have 30 plus if they weren't.

The parks are giant malls with fun distractions nothing more, and malls are moving to entertainment based activities to survive. Food or eating it is one of those activities.

Your last two sentences have been the philosophy of some of the Disney executives that have done serious damage to Walt’s original vision for the parks. No wonder additions have been poorly designed and executed when even Park fans begin to think this way.

capsshield

Unfortunately as a business owner I see through the pixie dust and see the parks for what they actually are, a profit center. I absolutely love the parks though and could spend the day there just sitting on a bench, and I have no problem spending any money there because I love being there.

So many people post about Walt's original vision, but they forget that Walt knew what it was like to be broke and bankrupt. Yes he wanted to build a place where families could have fun together but he also wanted to make money and be profitable at it. He was just as guilty as any of the suits are today.

I don't mind spending money at the parks because I love and enjoy them and want to return and see more the next time. I wont argue that I feel some things are too expensive because they are. Beverages are at the top of my list.

I have visited the parks more times than I can count. I have visited as a kid, a teenager, with friends, on honeymoon, with toddlers, and with teenagers, and in all those visits I found the most fun I've had is when I slowed down to actually enjoy the park and spend time with the ones I'm with.

Dining is a great way to do that.

It took me a while to figure this out, but once you stop chasing the E tickets, and trying to do everything in a day, the park really does become magical because your focus shifts to what's really important. Spending quality time with the ones you love.

I imagine that management has also figured this out and yes they have turned it into a very profitable thing for them.

capsshield

After reading that Shanghi might be getting a Zootopia land, I would say Animal Kingdom shares the cost and gets one as the next big land at the world.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
After reading that Shanghi might be getting a Zootopia land, I would say Animal Kingdom shares the cost and gets one as the next big land at the world.

DHS. As the replacement for Star Tours. Think "Toontown Trolley" concept but reimagined as "Zootopia's DMV Driving Test"

uncle jimmy

Premium Member
Regarding a post I made a while back of nothing more, I can now say there are a few plans post SWL. Nothing approved yet and nothing I can comment on. Aside from currently no water based attraction.

But by god, the competition don’t plan on waiting around either.
@marni1971 how post SWL are they thinking with starting these plans? do you think that crowd levels with SWL may play into any of these plans happening sooner? I'm wondering if they would do any of the plussing before SWL.

eddie104

My bet is nothing until the 2030s. TOD will stupidly think DHS is set for ten years with the addition of SWL and toy story bore land. I really look forward to be proved wrong, however.
@marni1971 already stated that some plans are being worked on so I don't think they think it's finished. Also TDO is not dumb and people are always attacking them which is understandable at times but come on now give them the benefit of the doubt.

Last edited:

eddie104

Why on earth should they be given the benefit of the doubt when they have shown over and over again, for the past 20 years, that they do not deserve it?
TDO does not deserve the benefit of the doubt, they deserve the exact opposite.
Hey I can see you have been very displeased with them over the years. But I was merely stating my opinion on the situation and not whether I believe TDO is capable of delivering because not all decisions rest on them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom