Any Bets on What Comes After Galaxy's Edge?

eddie104

This is all awesome rumor news as I’m just returning from a great weekend at WDW and was wondering what could be next for DHS 😄
My overly ambitious mind could it see it adding five more lands with at least two attractions each. Not only would that bring much needed capacity but get the ride count everybody on this forum cares so much about. In reality I think there is only space for maybe 2-3 more major areas than the rest would be using existing facilities to add new attractions so who knows what WDI got planned.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Quick question, which movie franchise is making Disney more money, Star Wars or Marvel? They have to go where the money is and pay there neighbor off.

I would guess Marvel, but Disney would have to throw probably at least the cost of a couple E-tickets just to get the rights back and then spend that money again to actually build the rides.

show me the money

I would guess Marvel, but Disney would have to throw probably at least the cost of a couple E-tickets just to get the rights back and then spend that money again to actually build the rides.
They could start slow and convert Indy stunt show to a marvel stunt show then add the Ironman Rollacoster that slings you you the city street chasing some bad guy or another then it crashes through the street to the subway below.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
They could start slow and convert Indy stunt show to a marvel stunt show then add the Ironman Rollacoster that slings you you the city street chasing some bad guy or another then it crashes through the street to the subway below.

Slow or not, it would still cost way more then any other IP. Personally I would rather see them spend the money to build attractions for things they do have the rights to.

phillip9698

Quick question, which movie franchise is making Disney more money, Star Wars or Marvel? They have to go where the money is and pay there neighbor off.

Universal isnt going to just hand the Marvel license back to Disney. It makes money for them and keeps money away from Disney, that being the case the amount they would charge Disney to cancel that contract would be astronomical. Disney has plenty of IP they could leverage if need be, they dont need to pull out the checkbook for Marvel.

Ripken10

Per movie, star wars makes more money. One could argue also that a star wars immersion is more unique then Marvel (many of the Marvel movies occur in not unique areas...even places on earth)...point being, gaining the rights to rides will not make as much money as one would think. The merchandise makes more money then the rides themselves, and they are making money off of Universal having the rides.

Note - I am a fan of WDW getting Marvel one day, but the numbers make it a lot harder. I figure now is one of the best chances ever with the Fox/Sky deals, but that is still not a priority to them.

Bottomline - one could argue that one is more valuable as the numbers can say either. I just don't see the powers that be seeing the advantage of getting rights back unless it is a byproduct of some other more important deal at some point in time.

Ripken10

Universal isnt going to just hand the Marvel license back to Disney. It makes money for them and keeps money away from Disney, that being the case the amount they would charge Disney to cancel that contract would be astronomical. Disney has plenty of IP they could leverage if need be, they dont need to pull out the checkbook for Marvel.
I would partly disagree with you. Universal having Marvel makes Disney money as well. I believe that Universal values Marvel attractions more than Disney does (not that Disney does not), so in that case what they would ask Disney for it would be worth more than anybody would pay. But this argument isn't new, as it has come up so often.

drod1985

I feel like this possibility has been shot down here before, but my ever optimistic hope is that Disney trades some of the Fox IPs they are less than interested in for a deal to use Marvel in the Orlando parks. I want the MCU characters to get the proper treatment in WDW, and it'd be super easy to re-theme the Marvel island at IOA.

Ripken10

I feel like this possibility has been shot down here before, but my ever optimistic hope is that Disney trades some of the Fox IPs they are less than interested in for a deal to use Marvel in the Orlando parks. I want the MCU characters to get the proper treatment in WDW, and it'd be super easy to re-theme the Marvel island at IOA.
I think the general thought is that if Universal gets Sky, they will then want to buy the final 39% of Sky from Disney (obtained in the Fox deal). It could become a bargaining chip for Universal to get the rest of Sky (possibly), which they definitely want more than the Marvel theme park rights. Problem is, it is not Disney's priority to get those rights, and Universal will likely think it is worth more to Disney than Disney is willing to factor in. But some more knowledgeable than me do think that this could possibly happen because it just becomes a way for Universal to sweeten a deal (basically have to pay less for that portion of sky without parting with something really worth too much to them). Obviously there are going to be some fans that disagree with it not being worth that much, but when it comes to this sky deal, it is very small potatoes, which is actually the only reason it might actually work.

But this assumes Universal wins the sky sweepstakes (Disney has not given up yet). A part of me hopes that Disney's end game is just to get Universal to pay too much for Sky. I hope the bidding war continues, as if it does, the price Universal would have to pay to Disney for Sky would go up (two great outcomes out of this -- one is that it will increase the small chances they get the Marvel rights, and two - it will lesson any negative short term impact the Fox contract has on WDW).

I personally believe that overall the fox contract will have a positive impact LONG TERM on Disney, but it could have some negative impact short term. That's why I am rooting for a bidding war that Universal wins for Sky. Disney gets Fox and they lesson how much it cost to get it. Despite what many want to admit, Disney is really good at getting value out of things they get. It just often times has short term drawbacks.

There is some people who believe that it's possible (perhaps not legally) that Disney and Universal have had some backroom talks regarding the Sky bidding war -- perhaps Universal could use the marvel rights to "encourage" Disney to stop a continued bidding war. There is a lot of reasons that Universal would want Disney to stop...I just don't think Disney would have enough motivation to risk having "backroom" talks.

KrazyKat

Universal could always keep MSHI and keep it the way it is with the comic book versions of Marvel, while WDW could use the MCU versions like they have already done with GOTG and Dr Strange. Universal would be dumb to just throw away something as hot as Marvel these days.

Rosso11

I think the general thought is that if Universal gets Sky, they will then want to buy the final 39% of Sky from Disney (obtained in the Fox deal). It could become a bargaining chip for Universal to get the rest of Sky (possibly), which they definitely want more than the Marvel theme park rights. Problem is, it is not Disney's priority to get those rights, and Universal will likely think it is worth more to Disney than Disney is willing to factor in. But some more knowledgeable than me do think that this could possibly happen because it just becomes a way for Universal to sweeten a deal (basically have to pay less for that portion of sky without parting with something really worth too much to them). Obviously there are going to be some fans that disagree with it not being worth that much, but when it comes to this sky deal, it is very small potatoes, which is actually the only reason it might actually work.

But this assumes Universal wins the sky sweepstakes (Disney has not given up yet). A part of me hopes that Disney's end game is just to get Universal to pay too much for Sky. I hope the bidding war continues, as if it does, the price Universal would have to pay to Disney for Sky would go up (two great outcomes out of this -- one is that it will increase the small chances they get the Marvel rights, and two - it will lesson any negative short term impact the Fox contract has on WDW).

I personally believe that overall the fox contract will have a positive impact LONG TERM on Disney, but it could have some negative impact short term. That's why I am rooting for a bidding war that Universal wins for Sky. Disney gets Fox and they lesson how much it cost to get it. Despite what many want to admit, Disney is really good at getting value out of things they get. It just often times has short term drawbacks.

There is some people who believe that it's possible (perhaps not legally) that Disney and Universal have had some backroom talks regarding the Sky bidding war -- perhaps Universal could use the marvel rights to "encourage" Disney to stop a continued bidding war. There is a lot of reasons that Universal would want Disney to stop...I just don't think Disney would have enough motivation to risk having "backroom" talks.

If it is ever going to happen this is the time. Disney now holds something Comcast wants desperately. If Disney does decide to sell their 39% of Sky I would be very surprised if the Marvel rights are not lumped In there with it. Disney holds all of the cards in this situation. Don’t forget how Disney got the rights to Oswald back. Stranger things have happened.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom