Anxiously Waiting for Free Dining

Status
Not open for further replies.

ninjaprincesst

Other than free dining bringing in more crowds in the fall, why do people dislike it so much?
I don't understand the dislike either. It saves us a ton of money, and I have done the math the only way that the room discount would be a bigger savings is if you were staying at one of the most expensive deluxe hotels or if you just have two people in your party. And as for the dining plan as a whole I still like it because I can pay it out with the rest of our package instead of having to come up with food money right before the trip.

ninjaprincesst

Just reading through everything above, I agree that paying for the dining plan outright does not make sense. Its very hard to break even. However, in our case, staying at POP, it would absolutely save us money. As I said previously, on our last late fall trip, our week was blacked out for free dining so we got a room only discount. It saved us $200. We would absolutely spend more than $200 on food for a week long trip. So if we can get free dining this time around, it would be a HUGE savings. No its technically not 100% free but Disney saying 'free dining' sounds better than 'big savings on dining' :)
While paying for the dining plan may not save money, it allows you to pay for the food over time with the rest of the package, and at least for me no matter what good intentions I have of putting money back it just does not happen unless I have an actual payment to make.

DisneyDreamer08

While paying for the dining plan may not save money, it allows you to pay for the food over time with the rest of the package, and at least for me no matter what good intentions I have of putting money back it just does not happen unless I have an actual payment to make.

Very true. We paid for the dining plan once many years ago, before we had kids. It was convenient to have all our food pre paid for and it was fun to try so many different restaurants we normally wouldn't eat it. For us, it didn't save us any money though. We wouldn't normally eat a TS meal each day and we normally wouldn't order dessert at both lunch and dinner. It was fun for that trip though. Maybe someday we can afford to do it again :)

DrummerAlly

Original Poster
So here's my defense of the dining plan, free or paid for:

We buy the dining plan for every visit. Why? Because we're cheap every other day of the year and never eat out or only get the cheaper options when we eat out because we feel guilty for spending the money (of which, we have enough). When we buy the dining plan we order the most expensive thing at every meal (usually for me though, the fish), the biggest dessert, the soda, the whole nine Mickey's. It's the stuff we would want to eat but normally wouldn't splurge on. Vacation is about being spoiled and unless we pre-pay for it and factor it in to the cost of the vacation, the price is on our mind and the quality of our vacation is greatly diminished. Is it crazy? Maybe, but its how we like to vacation. The dining plan adds a huge amount of stress reduction and convenience for us.

Every vacation, I tally up our receipts and we save hundreds of dollars with the dining plan, even if we purchased it. We eat the most expensive item at the most expensive restaurants and we LOVE it.

Do I care that the quality went down slightly? No, because I haven't really noticed over the years (we are neither picky nor "foodies"). Do I care that your prices went up out of pocket? Honestly - no, not really. Sorry. The prices by and large actually are in line with or are even a good value for what I would expect to pay at local restaurants here in the Boston area, they don't strike me as outrageous.

When free dining is offered and we plan on vacationing, you better believe I'm all over that like ants on a Mickey cone.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Here is the problem with 'Free' Dining, It's offered in place of a discount on room rate as part of of a 'Package' this boosts the Hotel's occupancy yet the Restaurants are not compensated for the additional plates they have to serve since their budget is fixed they need to compensate by reducing offerings and quality which negatively affect the experience for EVERYONE including the guests on the 'Free Dining' plan. This is all an artifact that WDW instead of running as an integrated whole is now a group of competing business units.

In a just universe the Lodging B/U would compensate the F&B B/U for the additional plates they need to serve as part of 'Free Dining' but that's not how it works at Today's Disney as one B/U wins and the other takes it on the chin, The F&B managers probably get dinged as well for their reduced profitability during 'Free Dining'.

Back in the day when WDW was managed as an integrated whole 'Free Dining' would not have an effect on restaurants except that they would have more customers during slow times of the year.

NZDisneyFan

If the free dining didn't affect anyone else's experience, then I would have zero problems with it. Since the restaurants have had to lower the quality and raise the prices to subsidize those that don't pay, then, yes, I have a problem with it. I have NO problem with any of the people.

Walt got the exact same land no matter the price. There wasn't a discount because it wasn't Walt buying the land. And I really fail to see how you can continue to compare Walt buying land back in the 60's with you getting a free steak???? The two have nothing in common.

The difference is that I have paid extra than I would normally to upgrade to a moderate resort instead of staying at a value or off site resort that I was originally planning on so that I can be eligible for the free dining plan. I either spend my money on Disney accommodation and don't pay for food, or I stay offsite (in which case Disney gets none of my accommodation spend) and still eat at table service restaurants. Either way Disney still gets the same amount of money from me. Coming from the other side of the world with a crappy exchange rate, I really want to have a full Disney experience and want to stay at a Disney resort. Free dining hopefully means I can enjoy my once in a life time holiday and still be able to eat slightly healthier (based on the reviews I have read that say this is easier at table service compared to quick service). Imagine not fortunate enough to live in the same country as a Disney park (or even any where near one) so please don't be so grumpy about the free dining as it will hopefully let me have me Disney dreams come true. For reference our family is considered quite high earners in our country, for us to struggle to get to Disneyworld shows you how hard this is for some people outside of America (our flights for two people are NZ$5000)

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Do I care that the quality went down slightly? No, because I haven't really noticed over the years (we are neither picky nor "foodies"). Do I care that your prices went up out of pocket? Honestly - no, not really. Sorry. The prices by and large actually are in line with or are even a good value for what I would expect to pay at local restaurants here in the Boston area, they don't strike me as outrageous.

And you've found the tension point. This is the exact attitude that Disney counts on. Who cares if the food quality has gone down, it's still better then the Diner in my podunk town. Who cares if the food is overpriced to the point of being a joke, I SAVE money because I got the DDP!!!

Look, like it or not, the DDP, and Free Dining have 100% reduced the quality of food at WDWs "nicer" restaurants. This is indisputable fact direct from the owners and managers of these establishments. Many of us care. You don't because you are "saving" money and eating "free" steak.

Hockey89

First, free dining makes it almost impossible to get a ressie at certain places during those times, unless you are able to book 180 + 10. Second, it causes headaches for the restaurant managers that have to show a profit. Yes, every restaurant now has to show a profit. It used to be that a park would have to. Now every single entity has to. We have talked with several of them, and they have been forced to cut back or eliminate items due to the DDP and free dining. So instead of getting that near prime meat cut, they have to buy select grade cuts to make ends meet. You get a lower quality product because you want to eat for free. Nothing is free.

The DDP has caused all of the restaurant prices to soar over the last few years, as Disney is trying to make it look like a bargain to people. It isn't a bargain, and unless you are ordering the highest priced menu option everywhere, you are losing money. Some here claim that they still save, but I cannot ever make the numbers work. We don't want to eat steak at every meal. Heck, there are times that we will order just a few appetizers and we're good.

Now if Disney had done it right in the first place, and stated that if you are DDP then you can get most items on the menu, but not the filet mignon - except for an upcharge, then it would be a much better deal for everyone. Well, everyone but y'all that think you deserve a $45 steak for free.

I'm sorry that you need this to make your trip possible, but maybe you need to rethink that?? How about saving for an extra few months or going less? I know that this is a bad attitude that I have, but I really think that if you can't afford to go there, pay for everything, then maybe you shouldn't be going there in the first place. Disney is expensive, and not everyone can afford it. My parents never could when I was growing up. I didn't get to go until I moved to Orlando as an adult.
Facts.... Grown up ideas... Golf clap....

PrincessNelly_NJ

No it doesn't. It's an illusion. It sounds great that you're getting something "free" but many families would be much better off with staying off site or with a room-only offer and then buying your own food.

Yes... but not all. I've run the numbers many times for my family & the cost of staying off-site, with a rental SUV, parking, & food is more than what I would pay with free dining. So like I said... it saves me money.

We are not the type of people that depend on free dining though. We have gone with or without it. We'll be there without it for sure this year.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I'm sorry that you need this to make your trip possible, but maybe you need to rethink that?? How about saving for an extra few months or going less? I know that this is a bad attitude that I have, but I really think that if you can't afford to go there, pay for everything, then maybe you shouldn't be going there in the first place. Disney is expensive, and not everyone can afford it. My parents never could when I was growing up. I didn't get to go until I moved to Orlando as an adult.
Preach.

Free dining might be worth it to some people and not to others. But if it's a financial deal-breaker that determines whether or not you can afford to go in the first place, might be best to skip it.

Goofycanuck

With all the uncertainty, I'm glad I booked the Free Dining bounceback offer from last fall for this October.
Mind you, the Free Dining offer has been rumored to be disappearing for at least the last 3 years.

mf1972

when we get the DP, free or not, we just go to places we like to eat. doesn't have to be fancy as long as we enjoy our meal. do we try something different every now & then? sure we do.
I'll pay for the DP because it works for us, but if it's offered for free..I'll take it.

DrummerAlly

Original Poster
And you've found the tension point. This is the exact attitude that Disney counts on. Who cares if the food quality has gone down, it's still better then the Diner in my podunk town. Who cares if the food is overpriced to the point of being a joke, I SAVE money because I got the DDP!!!

Look, like it or not, the DDP, and Free Dining have 100% reduced the quality of food at WDWs "nicer" restaurants. This is indisputable fact direct from the owners and managers of these establishments. Many of us care. You don't because you are "saving" money and eating "free" steak.

You only commented on half of my argument and not the rest. One of the problems here is that people who go to Disney World are from New York, Boston, San Fransisco, Middle of Nowhere Kansas, and Small Town Iowa. If you're from a major metropolitan area the prices look great. If you're from the rural midwest, not so much.

The "save money because I got the DDP!" is absolutely true if you would order the same food if there were no such thing as the DDP, which for some of us is true. Additionally, many of us see a monetary value in prepaying for food. Honestly, even if I ended up paying a few bucks more at the end of the day for the DDP, I'd still probably do it because it reduces the stress level so much for me and my family. One of the reasons we go to WDW is because we think of it as a "all inclusive" vacation. Everything's paid for, every things included, just go enjoy it.

I can buy the argument that it has reduced food quality and variability. There's probably some truth to that. The problem for you is that most people, myself included, haven't noticed.

Tom P.

Preach.

Free dining might be worth it to some people and not to others. But if it's a financial deal-breaker that determines whether or not you can afford to go in the first place, might be best to skip it.
With our size family and the number of nights we like to stay, free dining can be a $1,000-$1,500 savings over other options. I don't know about you and your family, but there are many families for whom a $1,000 difference in the price would, in fact, be a deal breaker. Not sure why that means they should not take the offer when it's available and, instead, skip Walt Disney World.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom