Answer to Epic Universe?

lightguy

If I was to guess, it will be just skip Disney altogether. The fact that going to Disney for only a day or two is just so expensive, I can see a good number just saying forget it. At the rate we are going, I can see single days at or above the $200 mark by the time EU opens. So why not spend 4 days going to the 3 universal parks and a day at the water park and maybe a day at the pool and City walk.
Agreed. That's why we don't go to Universal more...just can't justify the cost in addition to Disney, especially since we aren't usually there long enough to do a week at Disney and 3-4 days at universal (that's what their current pricing is calibrated for). I just can't justify going to either for just 1 or 2 (or 3 or 4 for Disney) days. But if Universal had a 3rd park...especially if it was really well done and had some cutting edge rides.... Well, now we've got some decisions to make.

Universal has A LOT of incentive to really raise the bar with Epic Universe and not cut the budget. It's their best way to massively grow their attendance (profit), so I suspect that they can justify really going big on the budget. I'm talking Tokyo DL/DS money.

Fox&Hound

For the sake of competition I hope Epic Universe is a smash hit, but after seeing what they did with the Super Mario Land overseas I don't have a lot of hope. They just don't get it. A slow moving Mario kart ride where you shoot thousands of shells at screens? An even slower moving Yoshi ride? Umm......to me Universal will always be the park that puts me in front of a screen, shakes me all over the place, while thousands of things happen in front of me on the screen. If they would build more attractions like Secret Life of Pets (yes it does have some screens but it is very well done) then I would be hopeful. Time and time again I hope Universal will get it and they continually disappoint. Until they learn to differentiate their ride systems I think they will always trail Disney.

I would love if Disney's answer to Universal was a new land in EACH of their four parks. One impressive E and then a lot of C/D caliber rides in each land. Yes, please =)

Jrb1979

For the sake of competition I hope Epic Universe is a smash hit, but after seeing what they did with the Super Mario Land overseas I don't have a lot of hope. They just don't get it. A slow moving Mario kart ride where you shoot thousands of shells at screens? An even slower moving Yoshi ride? Umm......to me Universal will always be the park that puts me in front of a screen, shakes me all over the place, while thousands of things happen in front of me on the screen. If they would build more attractions like Secret Life of Pets (yes it does have some screens but it is very well done) then I would be hopeful. Time and time again I hope Universal will get it and they continually disappoint. Until they learn to differentiate their ride systems I think they will always trail Disney.

I would love if Disney's answer to Universal was a new land in EACH of their four parks. One impressive E and then a lot of C/D caliber rides in each land. Yes, please =)
I feel if they did more rides like Velocicoaster it would go a long way. IMO they should continue on the path of catering to older families. Let Disney have the families with littles.

matt9112

I feel if they did more rides like Velocicoaster it would go a long way. IMO they should continue on the path of catering to older families. Let Disney have the families with littles.

I disagree i think they have a huge advantage with thrill rides but have really begun to compete with theming and cohesion with rides and lands. Things like the new pets ride in hollywood and the detail in Nintendo world drive this home to me. So i think they should keep pushing in that direction while also still building there thrill portfolio.

J4546

the new pets ride in hollywood is the best darkride theyve ever built, but universal hollywood is a pretty terrible park to me, mainly because I cant ride screen based motion sims without getting sick, so that cuts out like 50% of the rides at USH. Nintendoland is a welcome addition but looks meh, kinda like avengers campus at CA, but at least AC has 2 rides whereas the nintendoland at USH will only have a mariokart ride...and the mariokart ride is not at all what i think it should be.

BubbaisSleep

Isn't the Mario Kart ride basically just a simulator?
Negative. It's a full-on dark ride completed with themed rooms.
You can still enjoy the ride with the AR off if wanted.

Mario Kart is actually something a few screen-heavy Universal parks need. This paired with Secret Life of Pets at USH will help the park greatly. I just had my first SLOP this past weekend and I'm happy to have a good dark ride in the park.

Chicken Guy

it's Nintendo at Epic that is going to be the main driver. Most of today's parents grew up playing Mario, Mario Kart, Zelda, etc., and we love those games.
Nintendo hit the big time (again) with the Switch, and their brand is almost as, if not just as recognizable as Disney to a large portion of the population. Popular with kids and adults alike. I think if there were one IP to go against any of Disney’s, Nintendo is it. It could carry an entire park if Nintendo and Universal were willing.

Fox&Hound

Negative. It's a full-on dark ride completed with themed rooms.
You can still enjoy the ride with the AR off if wanted.

Mario Kart is actually something a few screen-heavy Universal parks need. This paired with Secret Life of Pets at USH will help the park greatly. I just had my first SLOP this past weekend and I'm happy to have a good dark ride in the park.

But look how slow that is! Who would ever have thought Universal would build a slow moving racing ride?

Poseidon Quest

But look how slow that is! Who would ever have thought Universal would build a slow moving racing ride?

This isn't Fast and Furious though. I imagine that the augmented reality adds a dimension that's impossible to capture on camera. By all accounts, this attraction is pretty awesome. The land itself is also remarkably detailed. There's such a heavy element of interactivity that it puts the wand magic of The Wizarding World to shame. In conjunction with the Donkey Kong coaster, I have to anticipate that this will be a big hit to Disney when it premiers in Florida.

Fox&Hound

This isn't Fast and Furious though. I imagine that the augmented reality adds a dimension that's impossible to capture on camera. By all accounts, this attraction is pretty awesome. The land itself is also remarkably detailed. There's such a heavy element of interactivity that it puts the wand magic of The Wizarding World to shame. In conjunction with the Donkey Kong coaster, I have to anticipate that this will be a big hit to Disney when it premiers in Florida.
I agree that the land does look awesome and I have high hopes for the Donkey Kong coaster. Trust me- I want to love it all.

erasure fan1

By all accounts, this attraction is pretty awesome. The land itself is also remarkably detailed.
While the land looks fantastic and hits all the right nostalgia buttons. I've never been more disappointed in watching a ride. I was really excited for Mario kart and realistically it could still be great. YouTube doesn't always do things justice. I just didn't get a great vibe from the ride. I still have hopes that it's a, you really need ride it, type of ride and it's really good.

aliceismad

Nintendo hit the big time (again) with the Switch, and their brand is almost as, if not just as recognizable as Disney to a large portion of the population. Popular with kids and adults alike. I think if there were one IP to go against any of Disney’s, Nintendo is it. It could carry an entire park if Nintendo and Universal were willing.
Agreed. I played Mario party and Donkey Kong on the Switch with my kiddo over the weekend.
While the land looks fantastic and hits all the right nostalgia buttons. I've never been more disappointed in watching a ride. I was really excited for Mario kart and realistically it could still be great. YouTube doesn't always do things justice. I just didn't get a great vibe from the ride. I still have hopes that it's a, you really need ride it, type of ride and it's really good.
I was a little disappointed with the Yoshi ride and the Mario Kart ride from YouTube videos. Holding out hope that the Donkey Kong area expansion is equally well done but with a bit higher expectations for the family coaster.

J4546

hollywood isnt getting ayoshi ride, just the mariokart ride....def a welcome addition to USH but the land looks....ok.

UNCgolf

Is it? I've mostly heard/read bad things about the Mario Kart ride.

It looks awful to me for what it's supposed to be, but I haven't experienced it personally.

Last edited:

Sir_Cliff

I disagree i think they have a huge advantage with thrill rides but have really begun to compete with theming and cohesion with rides and lands. Things like the new pets ride in hollywood and the detail in Nintendo world drive this home to me. So i think they should keep pushing in that direction while also still building there thrill portfolio.
I find this is kind of the issue with Universal. In parts they rival Disney in terms of theming and immersion, in others they fall back on mostly un-themed roller coasters or generic hotels. This means that they never seem to be quite a Disney-level theme park nor a top-level thrill park. The 'persona' they have created for the resort is also still that of a scrappy upstart compared to Disney's more polished and focussed presentation of wishes, dreams, and magic, however saccharine that sometimes gets.

My honest impression is that Disney's biggest vulnerability is its own lowering of standards. The new generic hotels like Riviera and just parking show hardware in the middle of the park as with Harmonious really threatens to undercut the notion they are the gold standard for theme parks and resorts.

matt9112

I find this is kind of the issue with Universal. In parts they rival Disney in terms of theming and immersion, in others they fall back on mostly un-themed roller coasters or generic hotels. This means that they never seem to be quite a Disney-level theme park nor a top-level thrill park. The 'persona' they have created for the resort is also still that of a scrappy upstart compared to Disney's more polished and focussed presentation of wishes, dreams, and magic, however saccharine that sometimes gets.

My honest impression is that Disney's biggest vulnerability is its own lowering of standards. The new generic hotels like Riviera and just parking show hardware in the middle of the park as with Harmonious really threatens to undercut the notion they are the gold standard for theme parks and resorts.

How is cabana bay unthemed? Or saphire falls? Or any of the deluxes? Aventura might be generic but tbh thats sort of...its theme lol. Universal hotels are a FAR superior product. And there not 700 dollars a night.

UNCgolf

How is cabana bay unthemed? Or saphire falls? Or any of the deluxes? Aventura might be generic but tbh thats sort of...its theme lol. Universal hotels are a FAR superior product. And there not 700 dollars a night.

Cabana Bay is very well themed -- to the extent that I don't know why Disney never built something similar -- and Portofino Bay is pretty well themed too. I really like the Royal Pacific, but it definitely isn't themed the way Disney hotels are (or used to be). The Hard Rock isn't really themed in the way a Disney hotel is either (even less so than the Royal Pacific, at least IMO).

matt9112

Cabana Bay is very well themed -- to the extent that I don't know why Disney never built something similar -- and Portofino Bay is pretty well themed too. I really like the Royal Pacific, but it definitely isn't themed the way Disney hotels are (or used to be). The Hard Rock isn't really themed in the way a Disney hotel is either (even less so than the Royal Pacific, at least IMO).

I think theres two pieces at play...there well themed than theres the disney touches....hidden Mickeys all the little disney thinks. Pf ocurse universal isn't doing that and to be fair there not filling there rooms with universal everything either. But all of there hotels imho have a superb theme and cohesive vibe. Even the new surf side looks awesome for the price point...compare pop to that....thats the price point. The all stars look utterly tragic.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom