Answer to Epic Universe?

matt9112

I don't think that's what people are referring to when it comes to theming, though. For example, I would think Cabana Bay or Portofino fit far more into the category of themed hotel than Riviera Resort which relies very heavily on images of Disney characters. It's more about trying to create an integrated, immersive themed environment. This is where I think Disney's own move away from themed experiences in the resorts is puzzling as it takes away one of the main justifications they use for the astronomical prices. Riviera is the main offender, though I think Gran Destino Tower at Coronado Springs is another indication of Disney's direction as the hotel looks nice enough and has a pronounced design motif, but it isn't themed as such.

They have moved toward a more generic look across many facets. Look at the disney store at disney springs. Zero flavor anymore.

Snake

Original Poster
Anything is possible going forward, but WDW continues to blow Universal out of the water in the one and only area where it truly matters to them. Attendance. And I don’t expect that to change anytime soon, if ever.
Over the last decade Universal Orlando's park attendance has doubled, Disney Magic Kingdom park attendance during that same period was up only 17%. If that trend continues, Universal will be the new king within the next decade. An if Disney keeps being cheap and are no longer willing to pull out all the stops to make the best rides and entertainment, it will happen.

Snake

Original Poster
You’re certainly entitled to your opinions. But to claim that WDW has been complacent these past several years is simply not accurate. They haven’t been. And that’s the only point I was making.
They have been complacent because they keep cutting budgets for new rides and lands. All the rides and lands they have been building only to cut the budgets and skimp on the overall experience, all old rides they tore out and reused to make 'new' rides to save a buck. Being cheap is the same as being complacent. The corporate penny piching is slowly killing the resort as a whole, it's been 20 over years since they built a new park, yet attendance keeps rising. Instead they've built dozens of hotels and DVC to try an turn a buck playing time-share scams. I'm guessing the hotel rooms make more money than a theme park since one night at a deluxe hotel costs more than 5-6 day park hopper? The imagination an risk needed to make the resort in the 1st place is all but gone. Lazy expansions, lazy mergers, they buy IP's instead of making them. There is no vision or cohesion anymore, its just chasing dollars like any other company. They've totally lost their mojo and over the next decade its REALLY going to show.

Last edited:

JusticeDisney

They have been complacent because they keep cutting budgets for new rides and lands. All the rides and lands they have been building only to cut the budgets and skimp on the overall experience, all old rides they tore out and reused to make 'new' rides to save a buck. Being cheap is the same as being complacent. The corporate penny piching is slowly killing the resort as a whole, it's been 20 over years since they built a new park, yet attendance keeps rising. Instead they've built dozens of hotels and DVC to try an turn a buck playing time-share scams. I'm guessing the hotel rooms make more money than a theme park since one night at a deluxe hotel costs more than 5-6 day park hopper? The imagination an risk needed to make the resort in the 1st place is all but gone. Lazy expansions, lazy mergers, they buy IP's instead of making them. There is no vision or cohesion anymore, its just chasing dollars like any other company. They've totally lost their mojo and over the next decade its REALLY going to show.
Sure thing. Keep telling yourself that.

JusticeDisney

Over the last decade Universal Orlando's park attendance has doubled, Disney Magic Kingdom park attendance during that same period was up only 17%. If that trend continues, Universal will be the new king within the next decade. An if Disney keeps being cheap and are no longer willing to pull out all the stops to make the best rides and entertainment, it will happen.
Let’s see Universal have just one park beat just one park from WDW in attendance, then we can talk.

People can prefer WDW or people can prefer Universal. To each their own. But the fact of the matter is, Universal will simply never beat WDW in annual attendance. Just not gonna happen.

Snake

Original Poster
Let’s see Universal have just one park beat just one park from WDW in attendance, then we can talk.

People can prefer WDW or people can prefer Universal. To each their own. But the fact of the matter is, Universal will simply never beat WDW in annual attendance. Just not gonna happen.
Don't get me wrong, I'm most definitely a Disney fan, I'm just sad to see them fall like they have. I think Universal will be more of a concern for Disney going forward, and I think Epic Universe is going to be big and hopefully that will wake Disney up and force them to build a new park. I'm glad Epic Universe is being built, because it may be the only thing that can light the fire back in WDW.

Last edited:

Giss Neric

Universal and Disney have opposite demographics. Yes, Universal is building more family rides but their main and majority of their attractions are still thrill ones. There will always be people who will go to Disney as they have a lot of rides that everyone in the family (young and old) can sit in the same car together and ride the attraction. Add to that the nostalgia factor that Disney has.

But I do also agree that Epic Universe will put pressure to them which is great.

JusticeDisney

Universal and Disney have opposite demographics. Yes, Universal is building more family rides but their main and majority of their attractions are still thrill ones. There will always be people who will go to Disney as they have a lot of rides that everyone in the family (young and old) can sit in the same car together and ride the attraction. Add to that the nostalgia factor that Disney has.

But I do also agree that Epic Universe will put pressure to them which is great.
Great points. And I will ad to that, while WDW is never going to even try to match Universal in the thrill ride category, WDW is indeed adding some value in that regard, what with the coming Tron and GOTG rides. Don’t get me wrong, Universal smokes WDW when it comes to thrill rides, and WDW isn’t going to ever just add big, unthemed, steel coasters ala Rip Ride Rockit or Hulk, but WDW is at least adding a little to it’s thrill-ride portfolio, while not losing what they do better than anyone else - theming.

Santiago

If Disney wants to compete and possibly obliterate Universal Epic Universe it only needs to look for inspiration to its international parks:

Magic Kingdom Expansion with a land of New Orleans Square:

1- Princess and the Frog Splash Mount Retheming
2- Pirates of the Caribbean Battle for Sunken Treasure from Shanghai
3- Soul themed music show attraction similar to the Country Bear Jambore

Adventureland Expansion:

1- Mystic Mannor from HK Disneyland
2- The Voyage of Sinbad from Tokyo DisneySea

Fantasyland Expansion:

1- Tangled Ride from Tokyo DisneySea
2- Beauty and the Beast from Tokyo Disneyland

As for Hollywood Studios:

1- Indiana Jones Adventure
2- Re-theming of Rock & Roller Coaster
3- Muppets Ride

Animal Kingdom:

1- New Avatar Ride
2- Crush Coaster from Disneyland Paris
3- Ice Age Theme Ride
4- Re-Theme of Kali River Rapids to Jungle Book

CinematicFusion

No fifth gate. Continue to add attractions to enhance the parks the have.

Animal kingdom, Hollywood studios could use 3 more rides each. Here are 4 examples from many ideas at Disney’s disposal…
1. Star Wars pod racer coaster. DH
2. AK Indiana Jones ride
3. AK Excavator coaster
4. Mystic Manor redesign for AK

matt9112

If Disney wants to compete and possibly obliterate Universal Epic Universe it only needs to look for inspiration to its international parks:

Magic Kingdom Expansion with a land of New Orleans Square:

1- Princess and the Frog Splash Mount Retheming
2- Pirates of the Caribbean Battle for Sunken Treasure from Shanghai
3- Soul themed music show attraction similar to the Country Bear Jambore

Adventureland Expansion:

1- Mystic Mannor from HK Disneyland
2- The Voyage of Sinbad from Tokyo DisneySea

Fantasyland Expansion:

1- Tangled Ride from Tokyo DisneySea
2- Beauty and the Beast from Tokyo Disneyland

As for Hollywood Studios:

1- Indiana Jones Adventure
2- Re-theming of Rock & Roller Coaster
3- Muppets Ride

Animal Kingdom:

1- New Avatar Ride
2- Crush Coaster from Disneyland Paris
3- Ice Age Theme Ride
4- Re-Theme of Kali River Rapids to Jungle Book

This entire list isn't rooted in reality. Several of those are variations of exsisting rides meaning you will need to demo the current ones. Than there's probably alot of foot print issues. You need to fit mystic manor in the exact space of HM for example. (Same with pirates) than theres just the raw space for the rest. Your list seems to indicate there is some abundance of land to build on.

Than theres the biggest problem.. money. 🤣🤣🤣

Fox&Hound

I will say this: Hagrid's Coaster is hands down one of the best rides I have ever ridden. Ever. It was pure joy from star to finish (well...maybe not the part where you go backwards) but it blew me away. Beautiful queue as well...

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Disney has officially announced its response to universal building a third, IP laden park up the road:

1645905207422.gif

But they are planning on increasing the fee for lightning lane at space mountain that week 👍🏻

JusticeDisney

LOL at people thinking that Disney is scared of Universal opening a third park.

BTW, I totally agree with some of the posts above regarding Hagrid’s being a phenomenal ride. It is tremendous from start to finish, and IMO is the best ride anywhere on Universal property.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
LOL at people thinking that Disney is scared of Universal opening a third park.

BTW, I totally agree with some of the posts above regarding Hagrid’s being a phenomenal ride. It is tremendous from start to finish, and IMO is the best ride anywhere on Universal property.
Disney is still pulling around 70% of market share…

They don’t care as of yet…

Comcast is gonna have to do a lot more than a third park to cut into that to the point of panic…they’d need to get into the 40% range themselves. So they’d have to consolidate their properties…link them up with stuff that can’t be ignored.

So no “panic” on deck.

JusticeDisney

Comcast is gonna have to do a lot more than a third park to cut into that to the point of panic…they’d need to get into the 40% range themselves. So they’d have to consolidate their properties…link them up with stuff that can’t be ignored.

So no “panic” on deck.
Spot on.

NickMaio

So no “panic” on deck.
Many lands in EU are rumored to be geared to young families.
I think after it opens WDW will be loosing a BIG chunk of their market share.
Especially if they keep squeezing people and providing less across the board.

We will all find out soon.

Cmdr_Crimson

IMO, if WB World came to the Orlando area ...I would like to see if it would change anything being an entire indoor theme park..If anyone who was not aware of this here's an ad for it..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom