Another MK smoking area goes up in smoke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sassagoula-Rvr

I would say that by the billion of dollars big tobacco companies bring in, society is still very far from anti-smoking...sorry, but numbers like that don't lie no matter what those "Truth" commercials say...

Around 19% of the US population smokes...in 2010...and they are projecting that to be 17% by 2020...it's not the number of smokers...it's the amount that smokers spend...

Worldwide around 30% of men, and 6% of women smoke...still not a majority of the population...

So you're right...they may not be "anti smoking"...but the vast majority of society does not light up...and the number is continuing to drop...

Goofyernmost

Some of us do not have an immediate hacking and tearing up reaction to car fumes.

Just because some don't have that reaction, it does not mean that others do not react with pretty intense problems to cigarettes specifically.
Ah, but some do, so how do we fix the exhaust problem. Is one more severe then the other?

Personally I've walked and been around enough smokers lately that hold their cigarette away from THEIR OWN BODY towards you...that I have become pretty anti-smoking.

I'm thinking I need to call you on that statement. The only time I have ever seen anyone do anything remotely like that is when some obnoxious person decided that they should be the spokesperson for the world and had an unsolicited encounter. Most smokers, especially those that respect the rights of others enough to search out and use a smoking area are quietly sitting or standing there, minding their own business. I have never witnessed anything like that ever happening anyway, provoked or unprovoked.

Last edited:

Sassagoula-Rvr

Ah, but some do, so how do we fix the exhaust problem. Is one more severe then the other?

I'm thinking I need to call you on that statement. The only time I have ever seen anyone do anything remotely like that is when some obnoxious person decided that they should be the spokesperson for the world and had an unsolicited encounter. Most smokers, especially those that respect the rights of others enough to search out and use a smoking area are quietly sitting or standing there, minding their own business. I have never witnessed anything like that ever happening anyway, provoked or unprovoked.

At Disney it hasn't happened...happened plenty of times on sidewalks at home...etc. person will be walking and holding it up over their shoulder by their ear...the stink/smoke comes right back to you.

I know many smokers who are courteous and mind other peoples rights...but that certainly is not all of them...

stingrock23

Each time a ban takes place, most smokers do follow the rules without issue. It may not be a good habit, but it is a choice people make. The smoking areas now are out of the way, so I don't get all the attitude to completely remove them. There's plenty of space to go around the smoking sections without really being bothered.

The Crafty Veteran

I would be for one select enclosed area in each park where smokers can go to do their thing. If not enclosed preferably far away from the general public. There is really no excuse for smokers to be near other guests.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I would say that by the billion of dollars big tobacco companies bring in, society is still very far from anti-smoking...sorry, but numbers like that don't lie no matter what those "Truth" commercials say...

You do realize the 'truth' commercials are actually funded by the tobacco companies as part of the lawsuit settlement right? :) Use of tobacco is down and has been trending down.. and the laws against its use are trending up.The industry is still so large in part because it was so big and they avoided being cut off cold turkey. Millions still smoke.. but the number is down and shrinking. Social tolerance for it is also shrinking.

donaldtoo

You do realize the 'truth' commercials are actually funded by the tobacco companies as part of the lawsuit settlement right? :) Use of tobacco is down and has been trending down.. and the laws against its use are trending up.The industry is still so large in part because it was so big and they avoided being cut off cold turkey. Millions still smoke.. but the number is down and shrinking. Social tolerance for it is also shrinking.

In the US, yes. But, and this has probably already been mentioned several times, last I saw anyway, smoking has been skyrocketing in "third world/developing" countries for decades. Thus, a new market.

flynnibus

Premium Member
In the US, yes. But, and this has probably already been mentioned several times, last I saw anyway, smoking has been skyrocketing in "third world/developing" countries for decades. Thus, a new market.

Yeah, but society and social acceptance here in the US isn't generally steered by what's happening in 3rd world countries. And the conversations was about here in the US...

donaldtoo

Yeah, but society and social acceptance here in the US isn't generally steered by what's happening in 3rd world countries. And the conversations was about here in the US...

Fine. My point did involve the US. US tobacco companies still have plenty, and have had and they're growing, it seems, of places to get rich other than just in the US market.

draybook

I don't think it's fair to compare exhaust fumes with secondhand smoke, because to my knowledge there hasn't been millions of people killed by car fumes in the last 50 years. Also, it might be because I'm not sensitive to the fumes, but wouldn't the only fumes you'd catch a whiff of be from a poorly maintained car or bus/semi?

kchapman0927

I have not read every post on this thread but have seen some negative remarks about using elecronic cigarettes. I quit smoking cigarettes two years ago when I started using electronic cigarettes. The term is called "Vaping" when using an ecig. It has nothing to do with smoking. There is no combustible flame, no tar, and void of all the other toxic chemicals in a cigarette. It is simply a water based liquid with flavoring and nicotine. When it is exhaled it disipates within a matter of seconds. It doesn't linger like cigarette smoke. Nicotine can be harmful but only in high doses. I feel so much better since I quit smoking. I smell better and foods taste better. So why should I have to stand with the smokers if thats not what I'm doing. When I vape, I'm not a jerk about it. I dont blow it in people's faces. I usually stand off somewhere or if I'm walking and no ones around I'll take a few drags. I type this just to let people know that Vaping is not the same as smoking. It's a healthier alternative to smoking.

Scuttle

I have not read every post on this thread but have seen some negative remarks about using elecronic cigarettes. I quit smoking cigarettes two years ago when I started using electronic cigarettes. The term is called "Vaping" when using an ecig. It has nothing to do with smoking. There is no combustible flame, no tar, and void of all the other toxic chemicals in a cigarette. It is simply a water based liquid with flavoring and nicotine. When it is exhaled it disipates within a matter of seconds. It doesn't linger like cigarette smoke. Nicotine can be harmful but only in high doses. I feel so much better since I quit smoking. I smell better and foods taste better. So why should I have to stand with the smokers if thats not what I'm doing. When I vape, I'm not a jerk about it. I dont blow it in people's faces. I usually stand off somewhere or if I'm walking and no ones around I'll take a few drags. I type this just to let people know that Vaping is not the same as smoking. It's a healthier alternative to smoking.
It's actually sickening to force "vapers" who are are former smokers into the smoking section. Just disrespect. It's hard enough for these people to quit and then they want to force them into the same crowd that still does their old habits. Seriously, what a d|ck move by Disney.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom