Another Fuel Shortage Topic!!!

Videoteck

Well, in this topic I would like to talk about how this FUel SHortage is going to effect Disney prices as well as Traveling, planes, cars, trains, etc...

Personal Thought of the Problem:

I think that tickets for Disney may even go up to $70.00 per adult, and thats just crazy, I am going in Feb and I want to know will gas prices interferre with my trip?

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I think Disney would hold off on any price increases until well into next year to give the situation time to settle. Gas prices, although high now, will likely return to the range they were before the storm. This may take a few months.

Yes, there will be a short term increase in the price of most everything as most everything can be tied into transportation, which is tied into oil. Delivery of goods and products, etc, costs will increase in relation to the increase in gas. But they should come back down.

Another thing to remember is the normal travel season is almost over. We are hitting a time which historically gas prices go down, this should help.

Upvote 0

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Given the comments in the media I doubt if fuel will still be short in a week or so. Also if people stopped panic buying there would be more to go round.

Just think if the cost of gas doubkes again youll be paying the same as the UK and we dont have a shortage.

Upvote 0

brich

With the cost of travel going up, why would Disney go up with their prices? That would only make it easier for people to decide they can't afford to go... :)

Upvote 0

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
brich said:
With the cost of travel going up, why would Disney go up with their prices? That would only make it easier for people to decide they can't afford to go... :)

They might not go up on the prices of lodging or admission, but the cost of food, etc, would likely be the first thing that goes up.....

Upvote 0
hakunamatata said:
They might not go up on the prices of lodging or admission, but the cost of food, etc, would likely be the first thing that goes up.....

Agreed. The Plantation Pipeline is at full capacity, so the entire region has access to refined gasoline again. The full extent of a refined petroleum shortage won't be known for some time (how long until all the refineries are back online? How long until the sea-based oil wells come back online? etc.)

Upvote 0

MareSINY

Here's an example of a price increase I experienced this weekend.

On Thursday evening I was speaking with my sister and discussing that the prices of gas were probably going to affect air fare as well and our planned trip to see our other sister in Dallas would probably be out of the question. For the heck of it she did a search and found air fare from Newark to DFW for $208!! That's the lowest fares we have ever seen to Dallas. So, we immediately booked the trip.

She looked again yesterday, just to see if it has gone up. The same exact trip is now selling for over $600.

Now if that's not a sign of the times I don't know what is! I'm just glad my trip to Disney is completely paid and that we're flying and not driving!

Upvote 0

tigsmom

The price of gas was rising before the hurricane hit!

We left NY on August 10th and drove to WDW. The price of gas rose by a few cents every few hours. Even same company stations in the same state (but maybe 10 miles or so away) had different prices, one higher than the next.

We would fill up, stop for the night and in the morning the station would be charging 5 cents more/gallon.

Gas here is now just about $4/gallon where it was just $2.999 on Thursday.

I've noticed a rise in food prices this week also.

Upvote 0

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
tigsmom said:
The price of gas was rising before the hurricane hit!

We left NY on August and drove to WDW. The price of gas rose by a few cents every few hours. Even same company stations in the same state (but maybe 10 miles or so away) had different prices, one higher than the next.

We would fill up, stop for the night and in the morning the station would be charging 5 cents more/gallon.

Gas here is now just about $4/gallon where it was just $2.999 on Thursday.

I've noticed a rise in food prices this week also.

Yep, we went to the grocery store yesterday, and thought we were going to get out under $75. Nope.....$101.

Upvote 0

Thrawn

Account Suspended
Videoteck said:
I think that tickets for Disney may even go up to $70.00 per adult, and thats just crazy, I am going in Feb and I want to know will gas prices interferre with my trip?

Why would you think this? Do you have any facts to support this hypothesis? Or is your expert opinion nothing but an uneducated guess?

Upvote 0

Thrawn

Account Suspended
MareSINY said:

On Thursday evening I was speaking with my sister and discussing that the prices of gas were probably going to affect air fare as well and our planned trip to see our other sister in Dallas would probably be out of the question. For the heck of it she did a search and found air fare from Newark to DFW for $208!! That's the lowest fares we have ever seen to Dallas. So, we immediately booked the trip.

She looked again yesterday, just to see if it has gone up. The same exact trip is now selling for over $600.

Now if that's not a sign of the times I don't know what is! I'm just glad my trip to Disney is completely paid and that we're flying and not driving!

Probably has nothing to do with gas prices. Airline bookings change prices based on many things, a lot of them aren't gas prices.
Some of them include:
- day you are booking on
- number of available seats in that pattern
- how far away from the departure date you are

Yes, gas may have something to do with it, but not $400 worth.

Upvote 0

Videoteck

Original Poster
Well..

Well... If our entire country runs a fuel which it does how would it not effect the pricings of most things, I mean trucks are needed to transport things not just Disney stuff food technology whatever!

P.S. You seem like a Democrat.

And no I aint Republican I am a Moderate!

Let people say what they think, dont be mean.

Upvote 0

righttrack

Videoteck said:
When gas goes up so does everything else!

Generally a well-accepted true statement.

Everything related to transportation and the production of plastics will have an increase in producer prices which can and typically does affect consumer prices. The test will be not only the depth of the price of oil, but the duration. Many companies will weather a temporary storm to stay competitive.

For us going to WDW, the best thing is competition from around the block on International, and air-wise from lots of carriers vying for the Orlando route. I was looking at locking in on air for the spring but have decided (perhaps foolishly) to continue to shop a bit. Its possible we can see oil go down in the coming weeks. I would pounce on air rates equivalent to last years prices, but I haven't seen last years prices yet.

Upvote 0

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Videoteck said:
Well... If our entire country runs a fuel which it does how would it not effect the pricings of most things, I mean trucks are needed to transport things not just Disney stuff food technology whatever!

P.S. You seem like a Democrat.

And no I aint Republican I am a Moderate!

Let people say what they think, dont be mean.

This is not a political forum.....Republican vs Democrat has nothing to do with, well, it does, but not here.

Upvote 0

peter11435

righttrack said:
Everything related to transportation and the production of plastics will have an increase in producer prices which can and typically does affect consumer prices.
The thing is nearly everything is related to transportation. Increased gas prices will cause the price of nearly all products to increase. Products need to be moved and no matter how this is done (truck, plane, or boat) it will be more expensive to do so and this cost will be passed on to the consumer.

Upvote 0

bears163

MareSINY said:

i am in the same boat. i paid 126 rt for a flight from philly to orlando in dec. i have not checked what it is now but i am sure it is alot more. if i did not buy those tickets and waited i would have had to cancel. wooot disney here we come update i just checked and they only went up 25.00 not that bad but there is another side the reason i got them so cheap is we come back monday instead of sunday. i also checked SW and their flights have really filled up and they have gone up in price a tad

Upvote 0

PigletIsMyCat

I agree with a previous post that gas prices are NOT the first factor that causes a rise in airline ticket prices. Well before Hurricane Katrina, I bought my tickets from NYC to MCO for $79 pp, each way. These flights were still generally empty. A couple of weeks later, tickets on my flight down to MCO were down to $59, and then DAYS later were up to $169. They dropped the price to fill up the seats, then the price skyrocketed when there were only a few precious seats left. I have also checked the price of tickets from my airline since Katrina, and prices have not changed a penny. Still $79 (some efen $69).

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom