Another Fuel Shortage Topic!!!

Videoteck

Well, in this topic I would like to talk about how this FUel SHortage is going to effect Disney prices as well as Traveling, planes, cars, trains, etc...

Personal Thought of the Problem:

I think that tickets for Disney may even go up to $70.00 per adult, and thats just crazy, I am going in Feb and I want to know will gas prices interferre with my trip?

Thrawn

Account Suspended
Videoteck said:
Well... If our entire country runs a fuel which it does how would it not effect the pricings of most things, I mean trucks are needed to transport things not just Disney stuff food technology whatever!

P.S. You seem like a Democrat.

And no I aint Republican I am a Moderate!

Let people say what they think, dont be mean.

First of all, you're wrong one all counts.

Want a quick, short list of things not effected by oil prices? Ready?
- Communications
- Electronics
- Services
- Connections
- Food (Show me one food price that has gone up since gas went above $2 nationwide - Note, a food as a type, not a specific brand of food or item)
There are many more, but that serves my purpose.

Also, contrary to popular belief, the increase in oil prices is not based on US demand. Never was. So just because you, being all knowing and all powerful, believe that you're right, doesn't mean you are.

Second, I am not a democrat. I would move out of the country before I became one. If you are trying to use a political term as derisive, I would remove the word "ain't" from your vocabulary.

Third, I can comment on your close-minded posts. You chose to post, and use fallicies in your reasoning. Just because I can point them out doesn't mean you have the right to tell me not to post.

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

Thrawn said:
Want a quick, short list of things not effected by oil prices? Ready?
- Communications
- Electronics
- Services
- Connections
- Food (Show me one food price that has gone up since gas went above $2 nationwide - Note, a food as a type, not a specific brand of food or item)
There are many more, but that serves my purpose.

Also, contrary to popular belief, the increase in oil prices is not based on US demand. Never was. So just because you, being all knowing and all powerful, believe that you're right, doesn't mean you are.

Second, I am not a democrat. I would move out of the country before I became one. If you are trying to use a political term as derisive, I would remove the word "ain't" from your vocabulary.

Third, I can comment on your close-minded posts. You chose to post, and use fallicies in your reasoning. Just because I can point them out doesn't mean you have the right to tell me not to post.

Just wanted to make a comment on one thing: Food.

Though I can't name one food item that has seen a drastic price increase based on the rising gas prices, I would say that when it comes to any shipped items that are sold to the consumer in smaller amounts than how they are shipped, the increase in price can be so small as to seem almost negligible. We could be talking about a penny more for a pound of apples or a box of Oreos, multiplied by the tremendous amounts of food that can be held in those trucks, that makes up for the extra money spent on transportation. You could make the same potential argument for, say, the transport of CDs/DVDs, or video games, or clothes, or small kitchen appliances, to their respective stores. If a store like Target only wants to pass on the extra cost of transportation to its customers, and it costs an extra 100 dollars in gas to transport a truck filled with 300 microwave ovens to a store, then they'd only have to raise the price of each microwave oven 34 cents, and they'd still come out a little like a profiteer with that extra 2/3 of a penny extra profit per microwave sold. As a consumer, you might not even notice an increase like that, though the more financial dire of the population, who feel every little increase, would. But again, for most items, the increase would be so small, it could even be explained away as less than the normal cost of inflation.

Upvote 0

Thrawn

Account Suspended
slappy magoo said:
Just wanted to make a comment on one thing: Food.

Though I can't name one food item that has seen a drastic price increase based on the rising gas prices, I would say that when it comes to any shipped items that are sold to the consumer in smaller amounts than how they are shipped, the increase in price can be so small as to seem almost negligible. We could be talking about a penny more for a pound of apples or a box of Oreos, multiplied by the tremendous amounts of food that can be held in those trucks, that makes up for the extra money spent on transportation. You could make the same potential argument for, say, the transport of CDs/DVDs, or video games, or clothes, or small kitchen appliances, to their respective stores. If a store like Target only wants to pass on the extra cost of transportation to its customers, and it costs an extra 100 dollars in gas to transport a truck filled with 300 microwave ovens to a store, then they'd only have to raise the price of each microwave oven 34 cents, and they'd still come out a little like a profiteer with that extra 2/3 of a penny extra profit per microwave sold. As a consumer, you might not even notice an increase like that, though the more financial dire of the population, who feel every little increase, would. But again, for most items, the increase would be so small, it could even be explained away as less than the normal cost of inflation.

Nice argument, but incorrect. Please post any type of proof that these things change prices due to oil prices. They do not. As you said, you can't name anything. Thats because there isn't anything to name.

If you use the example of a microwave, the short term oil fluctuations are meaningless. Such types of electronics are typically imported from Asia, and as such have a 6 month plus lag time to the US, and are mostly transported by boat. Prices of items are normally set when either the product is purchased (before it is manufactured) or when it is introduced (before the item is shipped for the first time). Corporations do not renegotiate prices for commodities in the short term. You're talking 6 months for a short contract.

You are correct in some respects, the cost DOES get into the price at some point. But these doomsayers who think that the price of the gas pump effects the word are nothing but incorrect.

Upvote 0

Videoteck

Original Poster

Here we go again how is it that you seem to think everyone else is wrong and you are right they could be right and you could be wrong!

Another thing is the Disney Transportation buses well they are free to use right?
WRONG they add the cost in fuel to the cost of how much it is to stay at a resort thats one huge reason prices go up!

If the price of as goes up in which DIsney Transportation runs on gas they would jack up the price if they had to!

Upvote 0

Thrawn

Account Suspended
Videoteck said:
Here we go again how is it that you seem to think everyone else is wrong and you are right they could be right and you could be wrong!

Another thing is the Disney Transportation buses well they are free to use right?
WRONG they add the cost in fuel to the cost of how much it is to stay at a resort thats one huge reason prices go up!

If the price of as goes up in which DIsney Transportation runs on gas they would jack up the price if they had to!

I'm right because the information I provided is based on facts, not conjecture.

Here's an ultimatum for you. Prove this statement that you just made:

they add the cost in fuel to the cost of how much it is to stay at a resort thats one huge reason prices go up!

Or stop posting on this subject.

If you are going to make such boldly untrue statements, you are going to be called out on them. If you take the time to look at the price increases for Disney rack rates over the last, say, 10 years, you will see that they are not out of line with rack rate increases across the US and in Orlando. However, most of these other rack rates do not include transportation. Since Disney's increases are not above and beyond the industry standard, the transportation cost is therefore not a factor in the price per night.

You can keep trying if you want, but you're going to keep getting shut down.

Upvote 0

PigletIsMyCat

Thrawn said:
Nice argument, but incorrect. Please post any type of proof that these things change prices due to oil prices. They do not. As you said, you can't name anything. Thats because there isn't anything to name.

If you use the example of a microwave, the short term oil fluctuations are meaningless. Such types of electronics are typically imported from Asia, and as such have a 6 month plus lag time to the US, and are mostly transported by boat.

Um, boats use gas.... so therefore anything transported by boat could be affected by an increase in gas prices. So could anything transported by truck, train, airplane. Because all methods of transporting large amounts of consumer goods use gas.

Thrawn said:
If you take the time to look at the price increases for Disney rack rates over the last, say, 10 years, you will see that they are not out of line with rack rate increases across the US and in Orlando. However, most of these other rack rates do not include transportation.

And what proof do you have to back up that statement? Just because the rate of inflation of Disney's prices coincides with the rates of other major companies doesn't mean that fuel costs don't factor in.

If you are going to continue calling people out for lack of proof, show us some of your own.

Upvote 0

Videoteck

Original Poster

OK heres another example disney tickets have gone up over the years do you think that DIsney tickets go up every year just because people are coming?

Also I dont need to prove anything more people in this topic agree with me than you!

Upvote 0

brich

PigletIsMyCat said:
If you are going to continue calling people out for lack of proof, show us some of your own.

Videoteck said:
Also I dont need to prove anything more people in this topic agree with me than you!

GASP !
:lookaroun As I slowly crawl under my desk for what appears to be yet another volley into Thrawn's court. Slowly with trepidation, I await the response. Ever so carefully, I manage to peak one eye over the top of my desk as I hear the lurking ka-thump of the next prowling dialect of proof. For we are not seeing soliloquy here, we are seeing the masses attracted to the aroma of challenge. Falling needlessly unto his powerful grip, yet another falls prey to the web of falsehoods, and again, walk aimlessly into the grip of Thrawn... :eek:

Upvote 0

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Videoteck said:
OK heres another example disney tickets have gone up over the years do you think that DIsney tickets go up every year just because people are coming?

Run on sentence allert.....

Upvote 0

Thrawn

Account Suspended
Um, boats use gas.... so therefore anything transported by boat could be affected by an increase in gas prices. So could anything transported by truck, train, airplane. Because all methods of transporting large amounts of consumer goods use gas.

Container ships run on oil. Not gas. And they do not use anywhere near the rate that cars do. Container ships get, on average, 202 miles per gallon per ton
source: http://www.mtsnac.org/docs/mtswhite.pdf&ei=iggeQ4m7I4SeaPmZzI0N

And what proof do you have to back up that statement? Just because the rate of inflation of Disney's prices coincides with the rates of other major companies doesn't mean that fuel costs don't factor in.

Holiday Inn (Surburban)
1996 Room Rate: $40 - $60

Holiday Inn (City)
1996 Room Rate: $60 - $80

Holiday Inn (Surburban)
2005 Room Rate $98.10 - $124.00

Holiday Inn (City)
2005 Room Rate $113.05 - $149.00

Sources: http://www.ichotelsgroup.com and google
Note: Rates taken are for the same hotels.
So you are talking roughly 100% price increase.

1995 Contempory Room Rate (only one I could find with a quick search): $209 (undiscounted) (June) (garden wing)
source: http://www.mouseplanet.com/dtp/trip.rpt/report_files/wdwtrp96/stoler95.htm

2005 Room Rate: $274 (Same options as above)
source: http://allearsnet.com/acc/faq_con.htm

So Disney's increase IS LESS even though they provide free transportation.

Wow. Just wow. Thats inflation, and the cost of running the parks and paying the employees. Not the cost of gas. If you pay every employee an extra $.05 an hour, for 20 hours a week, for 52 weeks a year, you are paying out $52 an employee, which is $2.6million a year. Thats the type of thing they are paying for with ticket increases, not gas.

Saying that ticket prices increases are because of gas prices is just plain stupid.

YOU lose Thrawn if more people agree with me I win!

Those statements are laughable at best. It doesn't matter how many people agree with you, if you are wrong. Everyone "knows" things all the time that turn out to be wrong. I have provided facts to back up my statements, so if you would like to do the same, please continue. Otherwise, stop wasting my time.

Upvote 0

RogueHabit

Thrawn said:
Sigh. No. Have sources before you make such bold statements of nothing.

Sign, I think you'll find they are correct. I've seen several financial analysts make this very same statement on Bllomberg this week.

Gas prices link into so many things it's untrue, not just transport, but manufacturing. The list of products that come from crude oil is astounding...

Container ships run on oil. Not gas. And they do not use anywhere near the rate that cars do. Container ships get, on average, 202 miles per gallon per ton

But the diesel oil they run on still has to be refined from crude...

Upvote 0

Thrawn

Account Suspended
Catch 22 said:
Sign, I think you'll find they are correct. I've seen several financial analysts make this very same statement on Bllomberg this week.

Gas prices link into so many things it's untrue, not just transport, but manufacturing. The list of products that come from crude oil is astounding...

Thats fine. There are a lot of products that do use oil. Not gas, but oil. However, there are still plenty of things which are not effected by oil prices, and never will be.

Upvote 0

PigletIsMyCat

Thank you, Catch 22, you made my next statement for me. Gas is nothing but refined crude oil. It all comes from the same place. The price of crude oil affects all modes of transportation that use oil, gas, or diesel.

Upvote 0

Thrawn

Account Suspended
PigletIsMyCat said:
Thank you, Catch 22, you made my next statement for me. Gas is nothing but refined crude oil. It all comes from the same place. The price of crude oil affects all modes of transportation that use oil, gas, or diesel.

Thank you Mr Science.
But that doesn't MEAN anything. It doesn't effect the information I provided.
If someone wants to reply with something tangible, go right ahead and I'll reply.

Show me a source that says that the price of intercontinental shipping by container has gone up significantly in the last few years. Please. I'd love to see it.

Further, we've already established that the recent spike in gasoline prices hasn't increased airfare. So thats not "all forms of transportation" like you suggest.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom