News Another Fight at Magic Kingdom

Incomudro

You may well be right in your assessment of the situation, but without knowing the size and composition of the group (perhaps @potzie might add these details), I’m not inclined to automatically assume they were off having fun while the rest of their party waited, especially since a CM actively helped them upon hearing their explanation.
Assume?
I KNOW that's what happened.

Chi84

Premium Member
Assume?
I KNOW that's what happened.
With FP+ we rarely waited in standby lines, but there were several times in the last few years that we had no choice. More than once we heard people near us in line trying to decide when to text the rest of their party to join up with them. They were so obvious about it that I wondered whether they knew it wasn't allowed.

UNCgolf

With FP+ we rarely waited in standby lines, but there were several times in the last few years that we had no choice. More than once we heard people near us in line trying to decide when to text the rest of their party to join up with them. They were so obvious about it that I wondered whether they knew it wasn't allowed.

Disney may not actually care.

This was at least part of the reason FP+ and Genie+ exist -- that they wanted people spending money instead of waiting in line -- so if a couple of people wait in line while others go spend money in shops... that might essentially merit a shrug from Disney.

Chi84

Premium Member
Disney may not actually care.

This was at least part of the reason FP+ and Genie+ exist -- that they wanted people spending money instead of waiting in line -- so if a couple of people wait in line while others go spend money in shops... that might essentially merit a shrug from Disney.
I don't agree. Disney wants to keep the peace among guests. It's not so much that they don't care as that CMs are not trained or paid to act as security. If a guest tells a tall tale or starts to make a fuss, they will often let bad behavior slide. Over the years, I've seen several instances of CMs backing down instead of creating a confrontation.

UNCgolf

I don't agree. Disney wants to keep the peace among guests. It's not so much that they don't care as that CMs are not trained or paid to act as security. If a guest tells a tall tale or starts to make a fuss, they will often let bad behavior slide. Over the years, I've seen several instances of CMs backing down instead of creating a confrontation.

Oh I think that's a huge part of it too. I just would not be surprised if that was a rule that no longer concerns Disney for other reasons as well.

"We don't want to cause an altercation, and if they're spending money elsewhere it's a win anyways."

Vegas Disney Fan

The problem with black and white rules is the world isn’t black and white, we’ve done the exact scenario you speak of when with little kids, on a few occasions we’ve told friends with a fussy kid to go wander and we’d call them. We figured everyone around us would prefer a group of 4 adults being joined by a 5th adult and a fussy toddler rather than standing next to a fussy toddler for the 45 minute Pan queue. They walked around while we stood in line, we called them when we got near the going inside part. Technically it’s breaking the rule but I don’t see how that harmed anyone.

Sometimes “breaking the rules” is done because it’s the lessor evil.

Sure option C is skipping the ride but how many people actually do that? Instead they stand in line with a crying kid rattling chains for an hour and driving everyone around them crazy.

2 adults being joined by 2 adults is absolutely annoying but there are certain situations, such as a mom or dad staying out of line with a fussy kid and then joining the group near the end, that I think benefit everyone.

Chi84

Premium Member
Sure option C is skipping the ride but how many people actually do that? Instead they stand in line with a crying kid rattling chains for an hour and driving everyone around them crazy.
This is an old person's opinion that will probably be unpopular, but skipping the ride is exactly what we did and what we continued to do on our last trip with our grandkids.

When our kids were too young to stand in long lines without causing a disruption, we skipped the ride. Luckily, Disney came up with fast pass and FP+ that allowed us to reserve our place in lines, so this was not an issue.

Disney prohibits place-holding. If they want to make an exception for people with young children, it should be expressly stated so everyone knows this is something they can do instead of having to skip rides with long lines.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
Or D - show their kid they LOSE if they can’t behave and take them off the ride/line.

Rewarding the bad behavior by granting them a better waiting experience … ugh

Last edited:

MagicHappens1971

CM's are not supposed to be confrontational, nor are they supposed to contradict a guest, even if the guest is wrong. So in most instances, if it's going to avoid them being yelled at by a guest (and it's a reasonable request), they're just going to accommodate it. Get over it.

bcoachable

When we were at DL Paris we saw a dad lift his son (probably 5 or so) over the fence at Phantom Manor so he could go pee on a tree in the woods. The funniest thing is he did the little kid thing where he pulled his pants down to his ankles and mooned the entire queue while he did it, then ran back smiling like it was an everyday occurrence. It was funny to us because it was a little kid but I hate to envision a world where adults are forced to do the same so they don’t lose their spot after waiting an hour.
We saw this in line at the subs in Disneyland..

Kamikaze

CM's are not supposed to be confrontational, nor are they supposed to contradict a guest, even if the guest is wrong. So in most instances, if it's going to avoid them being yelled at by a guest (and it's a reasonable request), they're just going to accommodate it. Get over it.
Except if its a safety issue. Then the CM can overrule anything a guest says or does without potential consequence. In theory, of course.

flynnibus

Premium Member

We know this is Disney’s training - but it’s not done because it’s the best/right… it’s done because disney doesn’t empower their CMs nor do they trust them to make the right decisions. It’s a posture taken to avoid front line taking action and requiring them to involve managers.

It’s a lazy posture that hurts guests because ultimately we have no point of authority to turn to when CMs are wet noodles

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
So question/thoughts because i guess this in theory is along some similar lines... but what are peoples feelings say for the Halloween party where say you watch the stage show then someone in your party stays in line for the parade while 2 people from your party go ride something come back to watch Parade & then do same thing for the fireworks? This should be interesting lol

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
Are the parties so crowded that you have to stake out a parade spot a significant amount of time beforehand?
Was just wondering peoples thoughts bc this past November park was basically empty for the AH event but in previous years we would watch the stage show my mom would hang around and me and my daughter would usually go ride Splash or BTM or both depending on time then go back to where we were already…. And lets face it. Holding spots for parades have been going on forever and in situations where literally people werent even there its more like 2-3 people show up and then say oh we have 2-3 more coming lol.

GimpYancIent

The numbers of the parties involved constantly vary but place holding is something that has been done since the parks opened back in the day. Issues of hostility by guests seem to have increased though. Other than removing and banning unruly guests there really is no reasonable way to prevent place holding. Guests need to check their egos at the park entrances and realize it's not all about "me" and the "you are the magic" is not a well thought out slogan.

Brian

Another big brawl at MK a few days ago, this time over a PhotoPass opportunity in the main entrance. One arrest, one very bloodied guy. Viewer discretion advised for the video in the article.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom