News Another Fight at Magic Kingdom

Dr. Nigel Channing

So were you just a bad person to start with, and your breakdown happened due to what? Or were there other factors involved besides just what person you are?
I think you read way too much into what I said. Never said anything about being a "bad person".

I'll try to make my point in simplest terms.
We all get angry sometimes for numerous reasons.
That anger should not ever lead to violence, such as seen at MK during the incident we are discussing here.

Lilofan

You really think disney doesn’t have a say in crowd management or how people visit the parks and what that entails and requires of people? And that its just same as it ever was?

That’s mental
Crowd management ? Have you experienced NYE at MK or Epcot? Its squeeze as many into the park, then when some depart during the day squeeze some more in that are standing outside the main entrance.

Incomudro

But this isn't something unforseen. Florida is hot, especially in July. And it's going to be very crowded. If those things are going to push you to that point then you shouldn't be there.
Do you actually believe the type of person who has poor self control (especially physical and verbal self control) is going to make that type of rational and analytical judgement call on themselves?

LittleBuford

Do you actually believe the type of person who has poor self control (especially physical and verbal self control) is going to make that type of rational and analytical judgement call on themselves?
Perhaps not, but what do you expect Disney to do about it? I’m struggling to understand what measures/policies you and @flynnibus think could have prevented the fight under discussion here.

the_rich

That's besides the point. The point is this isn't disneys fault. Florida is hot, theme parks are busy, expensive places and have been for a long time. You think this is an outlier for these people. I'm sure they act this way in their everyday lives as well. This isn't an isolated incident, it happens in many other settings as well. And it's been happening forever, we just see it more because everyone has a camera and a social media account to post the video to.

the_rich

That's besides the point. The point is this isn't disneys fault. Florida is hot, theme parks are busy, expensive places and have been for a long time. You think this is an outlier for these people. I'm sure they act this way in their everyday lives as well. This isn't an isolated incident, it happens in many other settings as well. And it's been happening forever, we just see it more because everyone has a camera and a social media account to post the video to.
What about the fight at dl last year. That was a family fighting amongst each other. I'm sure that was disneys fault and not caused by the family being dysfunctional to say the least.

natatomic

I can understand external stressors pushing people to “snap” to some extent. I’m sure we have ALL been there to some degree - either yelling at a loved one or stranger when we otherwise wouldn’t, overreacted in a situation that wasn’t otherwise a big deal, etc. And I believe that’s what initially happened here with the family in red shorts. They overreacted to something that was not a big deal before the show. The girl must have met back up with her family for the show, so…no harm no foul for the most part. I think most of us would be able to forgive the family in red shorts for snapping initially since, by the time the show started, it seemed to be over. We might be angry at their overreaction and roll our eyes, but I’m sure most of us would move on with our day at that point and not give the other family much thought.

But then the family, after having an entire 20 minute show to cool off, calm down, and think rationally, decided to freaking double down on their anger and waited at the exit to pick a fight. THAT is not due to Disney stress or heat, that is a conscious decision made by people who more than likely have a history of making equally bad choices. They chose violence and they chose to wait around and initiate it, when they could have easily just kept walking out the building and moved on to the next ride. That is NOT a Disney stress-induced decision. That is a “no one disrespects me, and I’ll see to it it never happens again” lifestyle attitude.

Last edited:

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Disney's not throwing punches, but ask yourself: Who created the environment in which these acts are occurring? Who set the unreasonable expectations? Who's charging huge entrance fees while not being able to deliver the expected theme park experience? Who runs Genie+?

So when I go to Walmart and there's ten self check out stands and seven of them are out of order like they were yesterday, I can just walk up to some random person and punch them and blame Walmart for stressing me out?

Or I'm in the TSA line at the airport and the guy in front of me doesn't know he has to take out his laptop and take off his belt and empty his wallet and he's holding the whole line up I can just beat him with my shoe and blame TSA for their ridiculous rules?

And apparently if someone goes out of line to get their phone then rejoins their party I can beat them up because Disney made me pay a lot of money to be there.

Im Out Amy Poehler GIF by FOX TV

Californian Elitist

That would be a long drive in Germany -- good thing you double checked!
Yes! I was actually very close to canceling my entire trip because I didn’t want to have my friends drive five hours to pick me up because of my mistake. Thankfully, I found out that the airport I was flying into offered free shuttle services to Nuremberg, with a few stops along the way. I then found a FlixBus ticket leaving Nuremberg and heading back to that airport at 6 am, giving me plenty of time to arrive and relax before my 3 pm flight back to Rome. Everything worked out so well, but I learned a lesson: TRIPLE CHECK that you’re flying into the correct airport when traveling.

PSA: If anyone is planning to visit Nuremberg, DO NOT fly into Frankfurt Hahn. Nuremberg has its own airport. Don’t make the same mistake I did lol.

Californian Elitist

Disney's not throwing punches, but ask yourself: Who created the environment in which these acts are occurring? Who set the unreasonable expectations? Who's charging huge entrance fees while not being able to deliver the expected theme park experience? Who runs Genie+?
What are these unreasonable expectations you speak of? Also, are you insinuating that because of entrance fees and Genie+, these fights are happening?

Lilofan

If some are so called stressed out to the point of an expensive WDW vacation I suggest going to Bolivia, Phillipines , Vietnam as examples where the exchange rate is so favorable to the US dollar one can vacation there on the cheap and still vacation like a king.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
What are these unreasonable expectations you speak of? Also, are you insinuating that because of entrance fees and Genie+, these fights are happening?
People are showing up expecting the crowds they see on TV commercials, and instead they're standing in line for an hour to experience a 5 minute ride. They're paying the equivalent of a house payment for tickets and they're only experiencing 1/2 to 3/4 of the parks' attractions. Food, even Counter Service, is super expensive to start with, involves another line to pick it up and then a line after that to find someplace to sit down and eat it.

I'm not insinuating anything -- I'm flat out calling out Disney's current penchant to over-promise and under-deliver for a premium price. That builds frustration in guests, and those with poor impulse control are going to snap under the triple threat of hot weather, expensive tickets and having to wait in line.

If you don't see it, you must be an elitist from California.

castlecake2.0

So when I tell a guest that their popcorn is $5 and they think that’s too expensive they can start throwing punches at me?

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
People are showing up expecting the crowds they see on TV commercials, and instead they're standing in line for an hour to experience a 5 minute ride. They're paying the equivalent of a house payment for tickets and they're only experiencing 1/2 to 3/4 of the parks' attractions. Food, even Counter Service, is super expensive to start with, involves another line to pick it up and then a line after that to find someplace to sit down and eat it.

I'm not insinuating anything -- I'm flat out calling out Disney's current penchant to over-promise and under-deliver for a premium price. That builds frustration in guests, and those with poor impulse control are going to snap under the triple threat of hot weather, expensive tickets and having to wait in line.

If you don't see it, you must be an elitist from California.

There's middle ground here. We can all agree on the things you say about Disney. But we can also all agree that it's not okay to violently assault people.

There are no environmental factors that make it okay to attack people.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom