News Another Fight at Magic Kingdom

Tha Realest

Not to minimize the culpability of the line cutters or the people getting into fistfights, but when Disney gives people the option of 1) being chargedd outrageous sums of money to cut the line, or 2) wait in said line for an hour, you can see how these pressures build up to a point where these emotions and angst run wild.

LittleBuford

Not to minimize the culpability of the line cutters or the people getting into fistfights, but when Disney gives people the option of 1) being chargedd outrageous sums of money to cut the line, or 2) wait in said line for an hour, you can see how these pressures build up to a point where these emotions and angst run wild.
Disney is not to blame for the behaviour of unruly guests. A WDW holiday is an entirely voluntary thing undertaken by people who know upfront the costs involved.

Californian Elitist

I think this is the source of most of todays problems, from bratty kids up to criminals, people know there’s little to no punishment for bad behavior so they do whatever they want.

I drive 5 mph over the speed limit and I’m usually the slowest car on the road, there was a time when that was ticket worthy, now I get honked at in the slow lane, any time you reduce enforcement of the rules more people will inevitably break them.
This is unfortunately true. I used to work with high school seniors at my previous job. We would have to schedule time to meet to talk about college and studying abroad for our program. To be accepted, they would both need to be present for a family meeting and turn in a writing sample. A BUNCH of my students would fail to show up to the meeting, and or take forever to submit their writing samples. They wouldn’t even tell me that they weren’t coming. They would ghost me and sometimes I wouldn’t hear from them again until I reached out. My superiors would schedule a bunch of meetings to discuss how we can get students to show up. These meetings were ridiculous and a total waste of time. I got so irritated during one meeting and passionately explained that the students needed both consequences and deadlines. If they had consequences, the serious students would show up and/or at least communicate when they had to cancel their meetings. Additionally, if we set deadlines for their writing samples, it wouldn’t take months for them to turn them in. I also explained that their behavior would be unacceptable in college and they should learn now that they need to be responsible.

Make a long story short, they didn’t listen to me and kept forcing us to come up with ways to get them to show up and turn in their samples. Their excuse was we weren’t at a stage where we could implement deadlines and have students face consequences for their actions.😑I lasted just two months.

Tha Realest

Disney is not to blame for the behaviour of unruly guests. A WDW holiday is an entirely voluntary thing undertaken by people who know upfront the costs involved.
I am not excusing the customers' own culpability. But, when you have an environment that is starting to look like fights at Black Friday doorbusters, knowing that a finite resource - time - can be paid for, and you have people cutting lines, leading to other guests having to resort to self-enforcement, this is a recipe for disaster. A person also expects to know "up front" how long a line is expected to last. That's affected when others - justified or not - walk past them.

Put simply, when Disney starting monetizing time in lines, this is a clear and obvious consequence.

correcaminos

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
No….

Incomudro

It's really a shame that people can't just behave like adults. The group with the matching shirts waited outside Philharmagic because someone from the other group left the line to grab the phone from a wheelchair & the matching shirt group would not let them back in line. I'm sure there were words exchanged ( according to the news) . What has happened to just being a good human. Now the 6 year old that was there to celebrate their birthday & thier group was tresspassed from the park & told not to come back. You ruined a kids birthday because you are immature & can't just let stuff go. Cripes sakes you all got to see the show, just move on with life,. The alarming part was where was security? When I go in the winter I will be stepping behind my 6ft2 son if a fight breaks out LOL
If this birthday wasn't ruined, don't worry - this family would likely ruin another one, if they haven't already ruined previous ones.
When people behave like this, it's not an anomoly.
It's a way of life.
We just got a glimpse into a minute of it.

Last edited:

Incomudro

Let’s put it this way…when I graduated HS in ‘82, GA was open every night until midnight, with NO PROBLEMS…now it seems the clientele looks like the employees dressed up for fright fest…it’s sad…when it opened in ‘74, it was a BEAUTIFUL park and safe…now…
I graduted HS in '82 as well.
Our 8th grade class trip was to Great Adventure, it was quite an attractive place.
Fast forward to when my son lifeguarded in the water park a couple of years ago.
When I would go to pick him up at the end of the day, I couldn't believe what the people who exited the park looked like.
How they acted - throwing trash everywhere, they really left a disaster zone - and what their vehicles looked like.
A really rough crowd.

Smiley/OCD

I graduted HS in '82 as well.
Our 8th grade class trip was to Great Adventure, it was quite an attractive place.
Fast forward to when my son lifeguarded in the water park a couple of years ago.
When I would go to pick him up at the end of the day, I couldn't believe what the people who exited the park looked like.
How they acted - throwing trash everywhere, they really left a disaster zone - and what their vehicles looked like.
A really rough crowd.
Summer of ‘82…GA season passes were $25.00…one Saturday night was GA, one Saturday night was Seaside…gas was 1.25/gal…my car was an ‘72 Olds 98…the only car I ever had that the gas gauge moved faster than the speedometer…me and 7 friends in the car comfortably…no seat belts, no airbags…and our kids think life is so great now…

Last edited:

LAM378

Last October I took a bench while my kids went to ride Mission Space. A family — mom, dad, grandma, 2 young kids, and a baby in a stroller — stop on the path maybe 15 feet away from me and start loudly arguing. Grandma was drunk and obnoxious, and was refusing to let go of the stroller handle. When the mother went to remove the baby from the stroller, grandma attacked her and they started fighting over the baby.

Cast members in plain clothes wearing only CM name tags showed up very fast, long before it escalated into a physical fight over the baby, and attempted to quietly resolve it for upwards of 45 minutes. The argument just got louder and more vulgar, and was taking place in front of not only these peoples’ kids, but every other kid that was exiting Mission Space during that time.

Maybe the CMs were security, maybe not. Whether they were or not, this thing went on for WAY too long, with the CMs standing there basically dancing around this family, trying to reason with them and get the grandma to separate from the group. It was like they were trying not to make a scene by forcibly dragging the drunk woman away, but this whole domestic was playing out in front of anyone anyway, so why not just remove her? She’s clearly gonna scream and curse either way!

I get that they don’t want a police-like presence in the parks ruining the “magic,” but these days the lack of enforcement and security just sends a message that people can act however they want.

DisneyDebRob

Ok, hear me out for a second. How about a big *** sign before entering any queue that says something along the lines of..” you are entering the queue for(insert whatever ride or attraction).. please go to the bathroom before getting in line, you may be here a hour or 3.. check to make sure you have your cell phone with you.. bring your childs snacks.. this could be awhile folks so do not get in line unless you do all these things. Is your whole party with you? If not , wait for them. They will not be able to go past all the people that have been waiting just to meet up with you because they decided to get a dole whip while you held their place. If you must leave the line, for any reason, take a member of your family with you because you will have to stand at the end of the line when you return, this way you will have someone to ride with you. Have a magical day!” Or something to that effect. 🙂

Incomudro

Last October I took a bench while my kids went to ride Mission Space. A family — mom, dad, grandma, 2 young kids, and a baby in a stroller — stop on the path maybe 15 feet away from me and start loudly arguing. Grandma was drunk and obnoxious, and was refusing to let go of the stroller handle. When the mother went to remove the baby from the stroller, grandma attacked her and they started fighting over the baby.

Cast members in plain clothes wearing only CM name tags showed up very fast, long before it escalated into a physical fight over the baby, and attempted to quietly resolve it for upwards of 45 minutes. The argument just got louder and more vulgar, and was taking place in front of not only these peoples’ kids, but every other kid that was exiting Mission Space during that time.

Maybe the CMs were security, maybe not. Whether they were or not, this thing went on for WAY too long, with the CMs standing there basically dancing around this family, trying to reason with them and get the grandma to separate from the group. It was like they were trying not to make a scene by forcibly dragging the drunk woman away, but this whole domestic was playing out in front of anyone anyway, so why not just remove her? She’s clearly gonna scream and curse either way!

I get that they don’t want a police-like presence in the parks ruining the “magic,” but these days the lack of enforcement and security just sends a message that people can act however they want.
Yes, this delay in response - here and in the fight that this post is about is troubling.
People can get seriously hurt in such a time frame.

natatomic

Ok, hear me out for a second. How about a big *** sign before entering any queue that says something along the lines of..” you are entering the queue for(insert whatever ride or attraction).. please go to the bathroom before getting in line, you may be here a hour or 3.. check to make sure you have your cell phone with you.. bring your childs snacks.. this could be awhile folks so do not get in line unless you do all these things. Is your whole party with you? If not , wait for them. They will not be able to go past all the people that have been waiting just to meet up with you because they decided to get a dole whip while you held their place. If you must leave the line, for any reason, take a member of your family with you because you will have to stand at the end of the line when you return, this way you will have someone to ride with you. Have a magical day!” Or something to that effect. 🙂
It doesn’t address bathroom emergencies (diarrhea isn’t exactly predictable), nor does it appeal to the very demographic Disney caters to - parents of potty-training-aged and/or diaper wearing children. Would you really want to stand in line for an hour behind a child who just pooped his diaper, and the family refuses to leave because they don’t want to forfeit their spot in line? Wouldn’t you RATHER they leave to change it and come back? Maybe you would just rather they not come back because of “teh rulez,” but that’s a sure fire way to off these families who are spending thousands of dollars on a vacation that Disney is advertising as the perfect fit for families of young children.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom